• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whats the difference??

Lozer

What's the difference between the bypass and the sleeve?

I no the different in the surgery but in general eating and weight loss ect??

Thanks x

No nhs but was told to start researching as the final decision is mine. So fort what better then to ask the people who have had it and live with it! :) he said I will go on a information day but I think ask the people who live with it everyday and it' a huge decision so won't to b as informed as poss. X

With the bypass (the stomach is bypassed) you can eat less food as a small pouch is created from intestine to "replace" your stomach. We absorb food from the first couple of metres of our small intestine and this is shortened in bypass too so that roughly only 50% of the already small amount of food eaten is actually absorbed.

With the sleeve, your stomach size is drastically reduced but nothing else is re plumbed. This means that only a small amount of food can be eaten but that food is still broken down by digestive juices (to a degree) and then moves on through the digestive tract as normal with full absorbsion. The part of the stomach which produces a hormone thought to be responsible for hunger is also removed, so appetite is also reduced.

With both ops the amount of food you can phsically eat is very small so supplements have to be taken anyway but bypassers risk great malabsorbtion issues than sleevers I believe. That said, if you keep up with your post op bloods etc such issues should be picked up and tackled / managed by the medical system.

Some people say that sleevers can have a more normal diet longterm than bypassers (that was what I was told) but to be honest reading peoples food diaries here, it seems like lots of bypassers can eat the red meat etc which is often mentioned as being more acceptable to sleevers.

In theory the bypass will help you lose more weight, more quickly as absorbtion is reduced as well as capacity but I have seen lots of people have very similar results on the sleeve. I think it depends on how much "work" you put in afterwards really. If a sleever uses their sleeve as a tool to help them stop overeating and follows all the rules and excersizes etc, the results will be better! There are some sleevers on here who were at the upper end of recommended BMI for good results etc who have done so, so well and lost all their excess weight................fingers crossed I will join them in their success.

Good luck.

Back