• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what is the difference??

kphorrox

can anyone enlighten me on what the difference between .....
weight management
and
medical weight management
kerry xx

medical weight management is using medications to help reduce weight

Im assuming that weight management can mean anyone or any organisation eg WW , SW

Medical weight management is probably linked to the hospital or gp but im only assuming lol :)

the last two times the pct wrote back they said i needed to do weight management ....
ok so i got my sw leader to write and say i did that for 1 year,
also my old ww leader wrote a letter.
also i am on weight management through st marys.
now they are writing medical weight management
ok i have been under doctors for the past four years tried reductil and xenical so i would say that is medical
do the pct know what they a preaching??

the first two rejections are two sentences saying weight management which i have backed up.
the third rejection says medical weight management which i have backed up.
so i have sent another letter today asking them to explain them selves as i have done both areas and what more they want me to do.
as im confussed and feel they have no idea what they are on about

You defiantly need to get them to clarify what they mean. It is not fair that they keep changing what they are rejecting you on and what they want you to do so you qualify! Good luck!!!

hi Kerry
as a part of the criteria for wls with my pct i have had to complete a weight management course under the pct,s guidance this was for 12 months which entailed seeing endocrinologist, dietitian, and phycologist on a regular monthly basis plus i was prescribed xenical by the clinic for the 12 months,i would just like to say its a complete waste of there time money and mine also but thats the crap we have to go through to get the funding so hay ho i have almost done it now come 1st september then its full steam ahead but i think it would of been better to operate sooner as i have comorbities ,type 2 ,high blood, and the rest of what go with being so over weight, so i guess they want something along those lines before funding you although it seems you already have done most of this
good luck all the same
regards steve

I think that speaking rather than letter writing is the way forward now - too many unanswered questions. See if you can press for a meeting or at the least a phonecall where you can ask all these questions and they have to provide answers - could you get your GP to write to them for clarification too?

Kerry I think what they are on about is that any prior weight management (medical or otherwise) does not count towards the funding process criteria they are requiring from you, it must be through their system and currently in process or just completed. I agree that a phone call is in order for you to get clear instructions as to the meaning of their rejection.

However, I have feeling that due to the high demand for surgery right now and the long waiting list for surgical consult, they will not budge on the criteria and allow you to use your prior weight management efforts to fulfill the criteria. Is the wm programme at St. Mary's for 6 months and were you directed by the PCT to attend there specifically? If no to either part of the question you may want to check with the PCT that the programme will fulfill the criteria for funding, no sense wasting time if it won't count towards funding.

I hope you get the answers you need soon.
Nic;)

im going to call them tomorrow and ask what they want of me and see what they say ..
and to kindly let them know i will not be giving up..

Back