• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

whats the long term cons

xxx

Last edited:
I had a bypass almost a year ago. I have since lost over 8 stone pretty easily, however, I am going through a difficult time with weak muscles and now hypoglycaemia. It's not an easy option, and requuires excellent compliance with vitamins and diet choices for the long term, and I would say that if you don't have the commitment to that, the surgery could cause more problems than it solves.

I am going to post separately about what's been happening with me lately if anyone is interested.

Rx

thanks rose x

hey i am new on here and just had a gastric band on 18th jan 2011 i am abit sore and feeling sorry for myself today any words of encougement from anyone that had the band

Im not a bander but what I will say is its very early days for you and post-op blues is very common after any surgery. Try and stay positive and think of all the lovely clothes you will be able to buy when you are all slim and svelte ;) XX

I beleive York hospital is only offering bypasses now too.

Shell, can I ask please, does your having to eat a high fat diet bring about any risks of developing other comorbidities down the line? high cholesterol etc?

Shell, can I ask please, does your having to eat a high fat diet bring about any risks of developing other comorbidities down the line? high cholesterol etc?

Hi,

My cholesterol is fine and has only dropped since the op, so far that's ok. If you look at the quantities I can eat it is still far less than a normal person so even though the food is high fat the overall quantity of fats is still low to normal so fingers crossed all should be ok. I do try to get good fats were possible, and mix good and bad foods. I will order a salad when out as I love them, but have a bowl of chips on the side!

Now, I'm taking ensure plus drinks as well on prescription, which take the pressure off from constant eating. This way I can eat more fruit and veg, and top up with a 300calorie shake.

Back