• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whats the one thing your body now has to learn to live without forever?

JO28172

Heard for some people certain can never be tolerated again...?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Certain <foods> (gawd my rulings bad)!

I decided pre op that my body would have to do without bread, rice or pasta! its doing fine without them - it doesnt need those types of rubbish carbs :D

Pasta and rice for me too,only small amounts of bread per week.Havnt thought about chocolate or alcohol.
Do still eat biscuits and crisps so keep a tight rein on them!

My pouch hates bread so much!! I can live without bread. I can tolerate rice in small quantities, not tried pasta and fried foods are a definate no no for me.

I have not dumped (yet) but the above foods get "stuck" just before the pouch opening and either really hurts for an hour til it passes through or (most often) I have to induce vomiting to get it out and stop the pain.

This all may change as I am only 12 weeks post op, I hope not tho as it keeps my diet in check :)

Hope I cope....I will so miss my bread <sob sob> :D

I decided pre op that my body would have to do without bread, rice or pasta! its doing fine without them - it doesnt need those types of rubbish carbs :D

Interesting Mazza. Are they all bad carbs , or do brown/wholemeal varieties provide a good source of fibre? I'm hoping to get enough fibre from beans/veg/other pulses but thought small amounts of wholemeal bread and brown rice was a good thing ! What are good carbs-if any?
Oh, I still have so much to learn !

And as to what we can never have again-I guess its fizzy drinks for most of us !!

Nothing!

I will not deprive myself of any food or food group as regimes like that got me to 21 stone in the first place.

Everything in MODERATION. I know not all will agree with me, but its worked for me - Ive lost my excess and maintained for a year.

cant manage pasta yet, bread in tiny amounts and chewed to death!!! rice is ok again tiny amount... but pasta makes me ill! so just dont bother.... love it as well but small price to pay eh x

Interesting Mazza. Are they all bad carbs , or do brown/wholemeal varieties provide a good source of fibre? I'm hoping to get enough fibre from beans/veg/other pulses but thought small amounts of wholemeal bread and brown rice was a good thing ! What are good carbs-if any?
Oh, I still have so much to learn !

And as to what we can never have again-I guess its fizzy drinks for most of us !!

The OP is a soon to be bander and I am a bander. We are advised (well most are) to avoid bread, rice and pasta. They can stick and swell which is not nice :sigh: we are also advised to eat protein, veg then and only if hungry carbs.

So that would apply to wholemeal or non - some banders can and do manage small portions of them but I decided to give them up!

I really cant advise on a bypassers diet - sorry :confused:

I agree with Sam, all things that you can have in moderation. There are other things I have to make up for it and I dont miss out! ;)

buglady said:
a big chunky white doorstep bacon sarnie on a sunday morning after a hangover!

Haha sounding yummy!! :)

Omg, I think of bacon butties every Saturday morning! Proper crispy bacon on thick White toast. Oooooo brown or red sauce? I miss bacon butties too! But my scales don't lol x

Nothing!

I will not deprive myself of any food or food group as regimes like that got me to 21 stone in the first place.

Everything in MODERATION. I know not all will agree with me, but its worked for me - Ive lost my excess and maintained for a year.

im with sam but i stick to the 5gram rule with fats and sugar apart from with nuts and cheese.

ive also maintained now for 2 year so deprivation isnt necessary it really is about moderation and self control.

I had a half a slice of toast with a rasher of grilled back bacon ( all visible fat removed) on Sunday morning and it was very satisfying indeed. I'm wondering now though if I should have skipped the toast and just had the bacon. I am eating my protein first then my veg and finally carb. It's a big change for me as I used to eat my veg ( get it out the way), then the carb ( very nice ,but not the star of the show) and then reward myself with the meat or chicken ! I'm generally avoiding carbs, but as said above don't want to exclude anything entirely as I'll get a real sense of been hard done by if I do-and then cheat ! Don't want to go there again!

im with sam but i stick to the 5gram rule with fats and sugar apart from with nuts and cheese.

ive also maintained now for 2 year so deprivation isnt necessary it really is about moderation and self control.

True Carol - but some food groups just cant be tolerated by banders, therefore as the title of the thread states, we do indeed learn to live without. Not a big sacrifice in the great scheme of things.

I feel like Im fighting a losing battle here but the 'rules' are slightly different for each op. I am also a maintainer and a bander :confused:

Back