• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What's the weight loss really like . . .

Hi Kevin.
I have lost nearly 10 stone and I can't even begin to tell you how much my life has changed.
At the weekend I went for a walk with my sister and our kids and I had a go on the assault course. I would never have been able to do that before...I had a job to walk let alone climb.
I go to the gym several times a week and don't feel out of place.
I can shop for cheap clothes.
I can accept a lift in someones car without worrying that the seatbelt won't fit.
I can go out to eat without panicking about fitting in the chairs.
So many more things that most people take for granted.
I still have a few stone left to lose but it can only get better and better.
Good luck to you x

Oh Kevin where do I start ?!
Like Leanne I've lost nearly 10 stone and mylife has completely changed... I couldn't possibly list all the ways it has changed my life for the better, but here are some:

I am so much more mobile and can walk without pain so my activities are not restricted

I have more mental as well as physical energy

I have more self confidence, more self-esteem, more self-assurance

I spend far less on clothes AND they look better !

I don't worry about navigating through shops or restaurants and knocking over people or furniture !

I don't feel guilty for being me....

Well I have lost 12 1/2 stone. How has my life changed. In so many ways.
Physically - I have more energy, I choose clothes rather than finding clothes to fit! I can run after my kids.
mentally - I am stronger, higher self esteem and confidance.
socially - I am 'normal'! I no longer say yes to everything but dont have to worry about not fitting into chairs or squeezing past people.
Above all I have found ME. Actually very hard to describe the changes in me. But I am happier, healthier and because of that I'm richer. Sorry sounds really corny but its true.
If I could see the weight loss in the mirror I would be the happiest person in the world.
The future. I have one. And for me that sums up what the weight loss means for me!

Thank you guys . . . . it is difficult to appreciate the benefits when they appear ‘on paper’ rather than in real life so to speak. When the weight sneaks on over a number of years the thought of dropping 10 stone or so in 12 months (if all goes to plan) is mind blowing. I do look back at some older pics of myself and wonder where that handsome slim chap has gone – I certainly don’t look in the mirror now and feel good about myself. The massive changes we must all undergo in diet and lifestyle are, to say the least, daunting and there will always be an element of “Can I do it...” for me. How do you feel about not being able to enjoy a Sunday roast or fish and chips ? What about alcohol – do you still have cravings? I am told that your tastes change post surgery – how, what does this mean ? When I first came to this forum and I noticed people saying they were getting nervous as their date came closer I thought “Get a grip” (I deserve a slap on the wrist) . . . but now mine is less than 3 weeks away I fully understand how they must have felt . . . there is a strange feeling of excitement and anticipation mixed with trepidation a bit like getting married (hope that is not an omen!) . . . hence I am looking for the positives xx

I enjoy fish & chips and a Sunday roast! There are no foods I 'can't' eat, it's just that my portion sizes are smaller and I don't feel much proper hunger any more. I don't think about food all day long like I used to. I have treats, takeaways, 3 course meals out etc.

My tastes have changed some. I enjoy salads and vegetables a lot more now, and find fried food can taste really greasy which is off putting. Even some crisps like kettle chips taste oily.

I wasn't a big drinker pre-op so not much I can say about that. I have the occasional drink now and have no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Kevin, I have found that there is no food I can't eat but I just can't eat in massive quantities so it is about enjoying the food rather than the gorge it may have been about in the past. I have a roast at least one Sunday a month and I really enjoy it and don't feel like I need to sleep for a week afterwards.
I have found that as the weight has come off I no longer feel hopeless or doomed as I did when I was out of control before. That feeling of positivity and hope I have now has to be the biggest change post op because it is what makes me dare to do the things I couldn't before.

Kevin - life goes on mate !
I still enjoy a regular Sunday roast, including yorkshire pudding, just not so much of it ! I also enjoy fish & chips very occasionally, albeit mostly fish, just a teeny taster of batter, and half a dozen chips. I still go to restaurants - since the op I've eaten Indian, Chinese, Thai, Moroccan, French, Italian, Mexican, without any problems. I still drink wine, just half a small glass and I drink it slowly. I had the occasional (non fizzy) cocktail on holiday and have even sipped a teeny bit of champagne ! I occasionally buy a bar of NAS chocolate and am happy with just a couple of squares. A small bar lasts me a week :eek:

I love my sunday dinners, enjoy them as much as I did before. Not tried fish and chips yet but Im sure Id be ok with it I just havnt fancied it. I had my first drink of alcohol at weekend even though Im not much of a drinker but I enjoyed it. I only had 2 but I felt like Id joined in and didnt stand out :D XX

I am pleasantly surprised that you can eat fish and chips and takeaways etc I thought sugar and fats cause dumping! Am I wrong?( please say yes lol)

I had curry at weekend, the 2nd time! I usually get a starter portion of chicken tikka, a curry sauce (dopiaza or just medium) and I have half a toasted wholemeal pitta to dip into the sauce...its yummy! I usually manage a couple of pieces of the tikka and I really enjoy it :D XX

Sugar and fats do cause dumping but if you choose carefully you can have most things..........Im over 5 months post-op and Ive never dumped yet! (fingers crossed) I dont have anything over approx 5-10g of sugar per 100g....and approx 10-15g of fat per 100g :D XX

Also Kevin dont worry about the op I was the worst as you saw from my posts I was physically shaking laying on the operating table then the anaesthetist worked his magic then I was awake on the ward with my hubby waiting, I don't remember being in recovery but I must have been awake for then to take me to the ward lol

Dotty how do you the fat content of the local chippy? Cos our local is gorgeous and would love to eventually have a treat from there

I wouldnt know exactly but you could try and put take away/chippy chips into something like myfitnesspal.co.uk and that would give you an idea. I wouldnt try them early on post-op I would have been too scared of dumping lol but I reckon I would risk having a few now...dont forget you wont be able to eat very many of them :D XX

I haven't heard of my fitness pal I will have to look when I get home. And a few Chios is better than no chips lol and it is still gonna be a long while before i try them

all sounds good, at least us pre oppers are getting to know what life is going to be like post op...many thanks x

All I Can say is it definately feels better than the FAT, I took a long time to get to the Appreciation stage but I can say now with confidence it was worth it, Shopping has never been so good, I love Clothes shopping, and I can out walk my daughters on a shopping expedition!! Food is not my main focus anymore, I eat because I know my body needs it, and I have what I fancy, but always makesure that I am getting in enough Protein and Calcium enriched foods.

All the best to all you Pre-oppers, I am sure you will do just great! x

Back