• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What's wrong with bread?

4Gr8kids

I've heard people on here say that they stay away from bread. I am getting a sleeve and have not met with dietitian yet. But, what is wrong with eating bread after your diet limitations are lifted?

I've heard people on here say that they stay away from bread. I am getting a sleeve and have not met with dietitian yet. But, what is wrong with eating bread after your diet limitations are lifted?

Mainly for me it just gets stuck!
It causes terrible pain and just isn't worth eating it,I have had a bypass.
Hope this helps

Oh my! Thank you Emma -Louise. Are there other foods that get stuck and cause pain? What do you do for the pain? Just try and get the food unstuck?

I am a bander - many don't eat bread because it does get stuck. I choose not to eat it as I limit the carbs that I eat within my diet with a focus on protein. I can eat it, without problems, but personally choose not to.

Oh my! Thank you Emma -Louise. Are there other foods that get stuck and cause pain? What do you do for the pain? Just try and get the food unstuck?

Meats can sometimes get stuck if I've not chewed enough.
The pain can only be relieved by being sick.
Or sometimes food passes through and pain lessens x

Meats can sometimes get stuck if I've not chewed enough.
The pain can only be relieved by being sick.
Or sometimes food passes through and pain lessens x

That is my fear that I will forget to chew slowly and not drink at the same time. I've been practicing eating slow but still think it may be too fast.

Why can't you eat and drink at the same time?

I have a problem with most carbs. Bread, Pasta, Rice. Sometimes even Potato.
I tend not to have pain with it, but I feel sick.
My mouth fills up with saliva and it feels like I'm going to vomit. I have only been sick a few times though.
It may not happen to you, but if it does, keep trying. It might just be a short term thing

That is my fear that I will forget to chew slowly and not drink at the same time. I've been practicing eating slow but still think it may be too fast.

Why can't you eat and drink at the same time?

Well I'm 2 1/2 years post op and at times I do eat to fast.
Regarding eating and drinking at same time,liquid pushes food from your pouch too fast and then you feel hungry again x

I have the same as Lubilu, I would give my husbands right arm to have a slice of toast & marmite (no butter though as hate it) :eek:

However my size 10 skinny jeans :eek::eek::eek: that I bought last Monday make it soooooo worth the sacrifice.

I can eat bread, toast, rice and pasta, don't have a huge amount of them, but no ill effects I am bypass 7 months out and 9 stone down.

im fine with bread, actually im fine with everything x

The problem with bread and other soft carby foods, besides the getting stuck aspect, is that they swell inside you, and if your stomach has been surgically reduced, that's the last thing you need.

I do have bread sometimes but only on occasion and very cautiously.

In Carol Bowen Ball's book 'Return to Slender' She says about the trouble she had with bread and also not to over cook pasta, because that can get stuck too. I think it is foods that become sticky, which bread would once it gets wet and also over cooked rice or pasta would as well. But everyone is different. Try a little when you are allowed to and see how it goes, but like some have said, toast may be a good option if you can't tolerate the bread. xx

I'm a bander I can't eat bread rice pasta have trouble with fish chicken and red meat but chocolate and crisps are fine :) last bit was a joke by the way ;) good luck xxxxx

The only way I found that I could manage to eat bread was toasted, but like Top_Kat I choose not to have it, as I like to keep my carbs to a minimum and focus on protein to try and maximise the weight loss, and minimise loss of lean muscle.. In truth I don't even miss bread now, and it used to be a big part of my diet before the surgery. I actually prefer a crunchier crispbread or somesuch replacement..

I've spent most of my life over indulging on bread and that is one of the things I am quite looking forward to in terms of the surgery as I know many people say they can no longer eat it - which can only be a good thing for me :) x

Well hopefully the surgery will make it more difficult to eat bread samsara.. That was me also before the bypass. I would have bread with everything!!! Chip Butties being one of my favourites lol!!! Now there is no way even if I wanted to could I eat a chip buttie!! The pain would be immense!! xx

Bread was my downfall can't even remember the last time I ate it now,don't miss it one bit xx

Back