• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve When can i exercise

Hi Hun i three weeks post op dietitian has said i can manage some light swimming but nothing too strenuous becuase your muscles are still healing n you dont want a hernia further down the line xx

I started to exercise within the first two week post but just walking and using the reclined bike at the gym but only exercised for around 20 minuets at the gym and built it up slowly.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

My surgeon said gentle exercise i.e walking was fine but any strenuous exercise particularly involving the abdominal muscles should be 6 weeks post op x

You should have started two weeks ago!
Gentle walking working up to 90 minutes a day until your GP or surgical team clear you for something more strenuous. I was advised no lifting anything heavier than a jug of water or kettle for 12 weeks as bypass patients are hernia risks for three months.

You should have started two weeks ago!
Gentle walking working up to 90 minutes a day until your GP or surgical team clear you for something more strenuous. I was advised no lifting anything heavier than a jug of water or kettle for 12 weeks as bypass patients are hernia risks for three months.

Well you learn something new every day lol. I didn't know that bypass patients are at higher risks of hernias for three months. My team have been near on useless, they have told me nothing. Thanks for the info Karlos x

They have to cut through your muscle walls to get into your stomach cavity so yes until they are healed completely which can take three months, lifting something heavy enough to over stress them could push the inside outside giving you a hernia. A jug/kettle full of water is heavy enough for you to lift, anything heavier and you take a risk honey x

Back