• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

when can you fly after op?

MrsSAFC

How long before you can fly after your bypass op? Just I'm going to Oman in June & op is early may time (I hope!!!)
Anyone know? Even as a general rule xx

Im not sure, but I know lots of people have their ops and then fly home from places like Belgium and some fly here for the op from Ireland and then fly home so it cant be that bad :D XX

I was just thinking the same Jac... I know it's easier to travel with a light pillow in front of your tum, even under the seatbelt in a car... just have to be sure of flying and check travel insurance.

Love and hugs xxx

I'm so glad you asked this - my team told me 8 weeks, but I had my op on 5th March, and I'm flying out April 7th. I figure lots of people fly to Belguim and Prague and back for their ops, so hopefully it should be alright. What Bev said - make sure you have travel insurance just in case :)

I went to Thailand for a two week holiday less than 8 weeks after my op. My consultant told me just to make sure I took a stroll round the plane frequently (dvt risk) and be careful with what I ate while away to try and avoid tummy upsets if at all possible.

I took out insurance with a really good company who cover you if you have had a bypass with no additional premium. Anyone interested pm me for details.

Will go and find the details and pm you back! Mel

Reactions: Bev
No - i have been offered a job there.... Had interview in feb. It's a principal of a private school in Muscat Oman need to talk terms & conditions. Very exciting xx

I know! No op date yet I rang last week and was told early may. Going to ring again at the end of march or early April if I havnt heard awt. How much weeks notice did you get?

i got four weeks notice , my goodness four weeks have never gone so quickly after all this waiting it seems surreal, like i darent let myself believe that it is actually going to happen this weekend . hows the weight loss going did you back to weight watchers? i wouldnt worry to much cos you will lose on the pre op diet im amazed how much ive lost on it

keep faith it wont be long until you get your date xxx

I'm so excited for you!!! I bet it has gone fast xxx Not fully back on track with WW but lots better. Not stressing about it either as I know if I do 1lb per week from now til may I will be fine as you said pre op diet should help xxx

I had my op on the 8th of December and went on a flight in the third weekend of January. It was only a short flight. No problems whatsoever. My team didn't give any advice on this particular topic.

Hi
Not sure in time how far Oman is so probably best check with anaesthetist, think flying after surgery really depends on your recovery and other factors such as contraceptive pill, whether you smoke or have history of DVT etc (these increase risk), usually advise 4-6 weeks for long haul (10+hours) after major laparoscopic surgery, but short haul eg 3 hrs usually 2 weeks.
You can reduce risk by doing the following
Wear the compression stockings for your flight which you will have on post op and which you are told to wear for 2 weeks after surgery (at least during day) so just hang onto them and use for flight,
Get up at intervals and walk around on flight to maintain circulation and do foot exercises periodically when sitting.
Drink plenty of non alcoholic fluids on flight.
Depending on when you get your assessment it might be me you see so remind me and I'll contact anaesthetist for you to check.
All the best with the new job.

Hi

Oman is about 7 hours....I'm not on pill or any contraceptives so x

Will as consultant aswell like but the stockings sound... Good? Lol! I'm sure my hubba will think so too! Ha!

Xx

Back