• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When did you try alcohol after your bypass???

Meggie

How long did you wait to try alcohol? Obviously I will listen to the advice given by hospital. Just wondering how long everyone else waited.

Also, what kinds of things do people drink post-op???

I was advised to wait 12 months by my team, but in my own opinion that is too long. I first had alcohol on Christmas Day at 4 months post op. Just a glass of wine, and have had a glass on a few occasions since then. I dont overdo it.

I've only had 2 glasses of champagne since my op. One was 5 weeks post-op, the other 7 weeks at New Year. I wasn't a big drinker pre-op and it doesn't worry me and I don't miss it. It is after all empty calories and doesn't do anything for you in the quantities you are likely to drink it.

I havnt had a drink since 16/11/09 16 weeks and i was a heavy drinker maybe 30 pints a week average, i dont intend to have a drink until St Georges Day and what it will be i dont know though i have been advised to have a drink at home before that to see what happens.

I dont drink but I have heard that you get drunk very fast after a bypass maybe someone will come along and be able to tell you about it
Jo
xx

No, not had a drink and not going to. Very worried about how I would react to the alcohol.

My dietician has advised not to drink for 4 months. I have a friend who is 15 month post bypass and when we go out she drinks vodka and diet coke, but uses ice cubes to swill the fizz out of it. She also drinks wine at home. She has had bad experiences with some drinks though so i think its trial and error. We were out last year and she was drinking her V&C and she said she said she wasn't sure they'd given her diet coke so she left the rest of it but later on she dumped, just on the little bit of coke and passed out in a nightclub. As advised in an earlier post i will definitely be practicing at home first so i can learn where my boundaries are !!

Hey Mr IRJ! you should have your century badge now that you have lost over 100lb. Well done to you!! Gail x
I havnt had a drink since 16/11/09 16 weeks and i was a heavy drinker maybe 30 pints a week average, i dont intend to have a drink until St Georges Day and what it will be i dont know though i have been advised to have a drink at home before that to see what happens.

I have drunk from 2 months post op which is when my team say is ok to do from my maxi is two standard glass's of wine but i make this into 4 drinks by mixing it with orange and passion fruit j20 so that last me a night out , think i had a little more than this on saturday night as i felt a tad drunk lol its trial and error as i tried the drinks at home first to make sure i didnt have any bad affects, when i tried martini and j20 i was totally off my rocker on 2 mouthfulls ! like you have said check with your team and when you do try it at home , (can tell your feeling better asking about alcohol) lol x x

I had my first alcohol in the form of Baileys coffee at 3.5 months post op. I have also had 3 malibu and pineapple juice on one occasion on valentines weekend.

I have been fine but as i'm not sure how I would react to drinking like before my op so I dont really drink alcohol as a rule.

had a bottle of sherry over christmas n new year nothing before or since. dont drink much anyway..................kath x

I had a single serve bottle of wine at christmas. It lasted me 6 pubs and I was 6 months post op.

Thanks all! Very informative!! I obviously don't feel up to drinking yet so am not asking whether I can drink now!! I can barely be bothered eating let alone drinking!! I have weddings on the 1st of May and 1st of June and was just wondering whether I'd be ok to have a drink or two! I only started thinking about this as my friend has invited me out and was surprised to hear I still won't be able to drink at the end of March!

I'm not going to drink a lot but I know alcohol won't be out of my life forever! I know its empty calories but.......................

How long did you wait to try alcohol? Obviously I will listen to the advice given by hospital. Just wondering how long everyone else waited.

Also, what kinds of things do people drink post-op???

Blimey Meggie...turning to alcohol already hey? ;) LOL. Only joking....I'll probably be the same. Good to know with the summer coming up, all those parties and holidays wearing gorgeous skinny clothes!

Range of times on here - sounds like 4 months is pretty average though...just in time for the sun.

Let me know if you find out anything official from the Whitt.

L x

Back