• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

after bypass when did you feel ok to drive

brett30

keep smiling
im just wanting to know how soon after bypass did you drive ??

i know they say wait couple of weeks bla bla ..

but really .. how quickly after did you drive and was you OK ??

im having laproscopic bypass and need to drive a few days after .. thanks

I had open procedure and my hospital said 4 weeks. I am now 3.5 weekspost-op and I had a drive yesterday. Just a bit of internal twingeing, but otherwise no probs.

I guess it's down to how well your body heals.

I was about a week, not for any other reason than i didn't really want to go out, i had laproscopic too, think if your done open it takes a bit longer.

You should be ok after a 4 or 5 days, though i'd suggest waiting and see how you feel, only you will know if your right to drive or not !

.............Dont worry the sensible police will be along in a bit to tell you that you have to wait 6 weeks or your not insured bla bla bla ;)

I was about a week, not for any other reason than i didn't really want to go out, i had laproscopic too, think if your done open it takes a bit longer.

You should be ok after a 4 or 5 days, though i'd suggest waiting and see how you feel, only you will know if your right to drive or not !

.............Dont worry the sensible police will be along in a bit to tell you that you have to wait 6 weeks or your not insured bla bla bla ;)

lol thanks .. yea i really need to drive 4-5 days after my op ... will b mostly motorway driving so not loads of gear changes ..

It should be fine, with a laproscopic you'll hardly notice they've been in there, with an open procedure its a bit more complicated, so takes a bit longer to heal things up etc.

Sorry to be one of the sensible ones but i totally disagree. i had keyhole and was told implicity not to drive for about 4 weeks and my doctor said no way till 6! (did it at 5) although the invasion is small the surgery is major and you dont know what damage you can do. i really suffered after my first day of short distance driving and it should really be built into your recovery as part of the operation that you know you cant drive.
there! parades rained on all round. Will take of bossy bugger hat and do something reckless now!! ooh like drink out the milk carton without a glass. Go on i dare me ..............nope! no good - got no milk! Ha! had too many tablets today methinks.........

i know theres rules and conditions .. and insurance etc ... but i don't really have a choice i need to drive 5 days after my surgery.

and im not stopping my surgery at this stage ..

i will have too see afterwords if i can't i can't .. i just thought i would ask what other have done in the same situation..

My insurance company said I had to wait until my consultant said it was ok, otherwise I would not be insured. My consultant said 2 weeks. All insurance companies are different, some say blanket 2 weeks, some say longer, some say less, but most say it's up to your consultant.

As much as you may need to, driving while uninsured is irresponsible and reckless. It's not just yourself you're putting at risk, but everyone else out there too.

Don't know the rules about driving after BP, but other operation I've had the surgeon has said I could drive if I could do a emergncy stop.

I started to drive at 6 weeks cause thats what I was told and thats what my insurance said. I couldnt have lived with myself if I had an accident and wasnt insured But I was ok cause I didnt need to be /go anywhere Its a tricky one

Take the mick all you want Silver surfer but if you were hit or involved in an accident with an uninsured driver you wouldn't find it half as funny! let alone the damage that could be done to a freshly bypassed stomach by a steering wheel in an accident!!!!

I drive a large lorry for a living and will be returning to work tomorrow 3 weeks after my gastric band I was back driving my car 12 days after surgery but it was uncomfortable.

Agree with the others on the insurance front etc and also on the discomfort from the bloating you will have and the wounds that will still be either stitched or stapled will be right where your belt needs to g and don't think about not wearing one...ive seen some one go through a windscreen its NOT FUNNY and also I hate to think what a steering wheel could do to a freshly done bypass:eek:

Take the mick all you want Silver surfer but if you were hit or involved in an accident with an uninsured driver you wouldn't find it half as funny! let alone the damage that could be done to a freshly bypassed stomach by a steering wheel in an accident!!!!

I drive a large lorry for a living and will be returning to work tomorrow 3 weeks after my gastric band I was back driving my car 12 days after surgery but it was uncomfortable.

Agree with the others on the insurance front etc and also on the discomfort from the bloating you will have and the wounds that will still be either stitched or stapled will be right where your belt needs to g and don't think about not wearing one...ive seen some one go through a windscreen its NOT FUNNY and also I hate to think what a steering wheel could do to a freshly done bypass:eek:

Lol - how seriously you lot really take it all, amazes me that you actually bother to get out of bed ! ;)

i toally agree wanda!

brett you have to remember this is MAJOR surgery, if there is anyway you can avoide driving (get someone else to, get a taxi, go on the train) doo, because the risk you put yourself in is not worth it hun.

.x.

yeah guess I do take things seriously....its better than advising people to make decisions that could endanger not just their lives but everyones around them.

Your a very long time dead!

I agree with Wanda, I drove at about 2 weeks, mainly because I hate driving. Silver surfer, I realise you are having fun and clearly like to live "dangerously" but you can be a bit of an a*se can you not.

Back