• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Missing alcohol ?

MariaD512

I'm only 17 days post op and already missing a glass of wine or ice cold beer. Can anyone share how long they waited for a drink and how it was? I plan to wait the 6 months as prescribed by my doctor. Just curious how you felt drinking alcohol. Any sickness or issues at all?

My surgeon told me six months at the very least and to be aware that its effect on me will be vastly different as to how it was previously i.e. a small amount will have a bigger effect on me post bypass so handle with caution. I have been alcohol free since the beginning of the year. Hard at first but it does get better ..it's other people who think I am missing out and sometimes I get the impression that I am some how spoiling their enjoyment by not partaking but hey ho that's their problem.

I was never a huge drinker but do enjoy an occasional glass of wine or beer. Now the whole idea that I can't have makes me crave it more. Same happened when I was pregnant but I was able to abstain then I know I can't wait the six but after that I'm concerned with how it may effect me when I finally do have a drink.

I think it's the fact that you can't that makes it more tempting.. I was a bit like that in the beginning just like a child when told not to do something. It suddenly becomes compelling. I have no problems at all now I just have a watered down j2o and I'm alright with that .. A bit of kidology I suppose.

I had my op June 22 and enjoyed half a glass of wine at the weekend. I can honestly say that it had no effect on me at all. I didn't feel in the least like I'd had a drink!!

I had my op June 22 and enjoyed half a glass of wine at the weekend. I can honestly say that it had no effect on me at all. I didn't feel in the least like I'd had a drink!!

Doh just realised this post is in the sleeve section... I'm bypassed. I really should pay more attention ... Can I still blame the anaesthesia? :giggle:

I'm only 17 days post op and already missing a glass of wine or ice cold beer. Can anyone share how long they waited for a drink and how it was? I plan to wait the 6 months as prescribed by my doctor. Just curious how you felt drinking alcohol. Any sickness or issues at all?

I was advised by my consultant not to drink alcohol till a year post op my year is up on sept 23rd. To be honest I haven't missed it one bit and I'm not bothered about having a drink. But every providers advice is different, so you'll have to ask yours what they recommend :)

Hi I am coming up to my 10 week post op on thursday (yippee) however I did ask my consultant about alcohol and he advised me at least a year but if desperate for a glass of wine then maybe 6 months after!!! hmmmm must of looked desperate lol and the funny thing is I dont drink wine! lol I drink Whisky lol but I can do without it for the time being!
I must admit I went out with a couple of girls a couple of weeks ago and I drove and I had a great time I was more feeling confident about myself which put me into a great mood! lol

Kaz
x

I googled it....

ive copied and paste this from the website i found

Will I Be More Sensitive to Alcohol Following Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
With Gastric Sleeve Surgery, alcohol absorption remains just as it was before the surgery, so you shouldn't be more sensitive to alcohol per se. Gastric Sleeve Surgery differs from gastric bypass surgery as there is no rerouting of the intestines or malabsorption.

To learn more about alcohol absorption and gastric sleeve surgery, please call The Gastric Sleeve Centers at 1-855-690-0559.

Can I drink alcohol after having Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
It is not harmful for you to drink an occasional glass of wine or other alcoholic beverage after Gastric Sleeve Surgery, but drinking alcohol on a regular basis will likely hinder your loss of weight. Alcohol is very high calories and breaks down vitamins that your body needs to remain healthy, so talk with your dietitian or surgeon for what amount of alcohol you can reasonably enjoy.

To learn more about drinking alcohol with the gastric sleeve, please call The Gastric Sleeve Centers at 1-855-690-0559.

Can I Drink Beer After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
After Gastric Sleeve surgery, it is ok to drink beer in moderation, but you need to be aware that beer is filled with empty calories that will make losing weight more difficult and the carbonation in beer can expand your new Stoma, allowing you to eat more food and defeating the purpose of having had the gastric sleeve surgery. Drinking beer after gastric sleeve surgery may also cause heartburn or acid reflux.

To learn more about drinking beer with the gastric sleeve, please call The Gastric Sleeve Centers at 1-855-690-0559.

The website El is referring to states the following:

After Gastric Sleeve surgery, it is ok to drink beer in moderation, but you need to be aware that beer is filled with empty calories that will make losing weight more difficult and the carbonation in beer can expand your new Stoma, allowing you to eat more food and defeating the purpose of having had the gastric sleeve surgery. Drinking beer after gastric sleeve surgery may also cause heartburn or acid reflux.

I have removed the link from the post. Post op advice differs, in some cases quite significantly. The only advice really is your providers.

Back