• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When do you remove band??

Amberleigh

Hey, i was under the impression that a band was very temporary and had to be removed. I havnt done much research on the band as it is the bypass or sleeve i want but ive just read something about someone still having their band in years later. Can anyone please tell me how long theyve had theirs in and if it has to be removed please x

Oh right. I didnt know that thank you. Does it have to be changed if u wanna keep it forever and is it a matter of the full surgery price every time it gets changed?

Bands are designed to stay in place forever, however they can be defilled or removed if the need arises.

Ok thank you. Hopefully someone that has had theirs for years will be able give me a little more info :)

What do you mean by years? Ive had mine over 3 but I think Im one of the, if not the longest term bander that posts on here.

I wrote that before i see your comment mazza. I wasnt sure if there was a "use by" date on them and if they had to be changed or or you can just keep the same one for as long as you want x

You should not be approaching the idea of having a gastric band fitted as being a temporary solution.

Even after only a few months, adhesions will have grown around the band, port and tubing making it more and more difficult to remove. Having a band removed is a lot more complex than having one fitted, and as it stands, modern medical opinion seems to be leave it where it is doing no harm.

I wasnt even planning on a band as i thought it was only temporary. Ive been thinking of the sleeve or bypass so i hadnt read into the band very much. However now i know it can be left in i would be more likely to have it. Will all depend on what the consultant recommends is best for me

I'm new here and am just reading through the posts, but I have had my band for 12 years , it's coming out on the 17 July to be replaced by a bypass as it.is self filling and I can't eat or drink, often I can't even tolerate liquid. I'll introduce my self properly in the right section with a brief summary of my 12 banded years highs and lows.

Wow 12 yrs is a long time. Did it not work for you then if your having the bypass? X

It's been my best friend until about two years ago. I originally lost 11 stone in a year, maintained a year , had a baby, lost babyweight had another baby then it went a bit wrong, I was severely anaemic , but not band related. I've now regained 5 stone and I need to get back on track, I cant stand the constant sickness, but if I just had it out I'm sure I would end up back at square one, hence the bypass.

I too was always under the impression that the band stayed forever unless somethng warrented that it had to be removed just defalted and reinflated if and when needed might be wrong though as I had gastroplasty years ago and this time after gastric bypass

Well i hope the bypass goes well for you dotty and gets you back on track xx

Back