• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm back

LBD

Hi everyone

Not sure if anyone remembers me but I was a frequent visitor back in the summer. I haven't been around for a while because basically I have been really down and just couldn't face it.

After approaching my GP about WLS he was fantastic and really supportive. He and I were hopeful that I would get funding. Having carried out a lot of research it appeared that I would be eligible.

Although my GP made a referral he received the criteria back from the trust and it seems the criteria was completely different to what we were both expecting. Unfortunately I am not eligible after all.

Despite being mordibly obese and suffering from associated medical conditions neither are bad enough to warrant surgery and so it was pointless taking the matter any further.

It was a real blow to me as I had been considering WLS for several years and it took me a lot of courage to finally speak to my GP about it.

I am now at rock bottom. My weight is increasing all the time and I just don't seem to be able get a grip. I know I am lighter than many people who do have WLS but I know if I do not do something now my future health is really going to suffer.

Despite being so low and depressed about my weight I still don't seem able to address it by sticking to a diet.

I guess my only option is to pay privately and this is something that I am now thinking about. What I am struggling with is that I feel selfish spending that amount of money on just me when I have a family who could enjoy a fantastic holiday with that sort of money!

I've had a quick look around and it seems so many of you are doing brilliantly. It has really made me smile to see so many happy people. You should be so proud of yourselves.

I just hope that I can find some motivation to sort myself out.

oh lisa how awful for you life can be so tough at times, if it means that much to you then if it were me i'd go private i know what you said about feeling selfish but if your feeling like this about your weight it must affect your mood so having the surgery would benefit the whole family as you will be happier and more content in yourself. i had mine 6 months ago and i've never been happier. good luck with your decision and your weight loss journey.

I am relatively new to this site, so I dont know you, but if you are looking for motivation this is definitely the place to find it. I have booked my date, but I often wonder if I should be spending all this money on just me. But reading everyone's stories and the difference it makes to their lives, I know I must do this. For me and for my family. I wish you good luck on your journey.

Hi Lisa, long time no see.

I'm sorry you have been turned down for funding. I was lucky to get my surgery on the NHS so I wont pretend to know how you are feeling, but I do think that if you can afford the surgery then you are nto being selfish by going private - infact it will benefit the whole family in the long run.

Hello LBD and welcome back.

I also haven't been around in a while as I too have been through some really tough times throughout my journey & found it too difficult to come on here.

I too was turned down for funding, so with the help of a certain member on here I composed the most amazing appeal letter to the pct, which was about 7 pages long, explaining all the reasons why they should allow me to have my surgery on the NHS.

I won the appeal, which was the most amazing news, but it has been an uphill struggle all the way, and almost 2 years long!!

Keep fighting for this. Appeal against their decision. You have got your GP onside which is great, I'm sure he will be happy to write a letter, explaining why he thinks surgery is the best option for you.

If you do decide to go down the private route, please don't think that you are being selfish. You want this so you can be a healthier happier Mum, and to have a better quality of life for you and your family. In my opinion, it's certainly not selfish, it's to be around for longer - what would your family rather have...a fab holiday, or a healthier happier wife/mum? The answer is obvious really isn't it.

My surgery is on Saturday, & now it's getting so close I have all sorts of emotions going through my head, but above it all I know I am doing this to be here for a long time for my husband & children - and they know that too!!

So, come on, you can do this. With the support of your family, you'll get there!!!!!

xx

Hi Lisa, long time no see.

I'm sorry you have been turned down for funding. I was lucky to get my surgery on the NHS so I wont pretend to know how you are feeling, but I do think that if you can afford the surgery then you are nto being selfish by going private - infact it will benefit the whole family in the long run.

Sam

I am so pleased to hear you have had your surgery. How's it going......can't see any photos yet?!

Hello LBD and welcome back.

I also haven't been around in a while as I too have been through some really tough times throughout my journey & found it too difficult to come on here.

I too was turned down for funding, so with the help of a certain member on here I composed the most amazing appeal letter to the pct, which was about 7 pages long, explaining all the reasons why they should allow me to have my surgery on the NHS.

I won the appeal, which was the most amazing news, but it has been an uphill struggle all the way, and almost 2 years long!!

Keep fighting for this. Appeal against their decision. You have got your GP onside which is great, I'm sure he will be happy to write a letter, explaining why he thinks surgery is the best option for you.

If you do decide to go down the private route, please don't think that you are being selfish. You want this so you can be a healthier happier Mum, and to have a better quality of life for you and your family. In my opinion, it's certainly not selfish, it's to be around for longer - what would your family rather have...a fab holiday, or a healthier happier wife/mum? The answer is obvious really isn't it.

My surgery is on Saturday, & now it's getting so close I have all sorts of emotions going through my head, but above it all I know I am doing this to be here for a long time for my husband & children - and they know that too!!

So, come on, you can do this. With the support of your family, you'll get there!!!!!

xx

Thank you so much for your lovely reply Emma. Brought a tear to my eye!

I am so pleased that you are getting your surgery. I can't wait to read about the next part of your journey.

xx

You are SO welcome LBD, I know exactly how you feel because I've been there myself, like I said it's been a really tough journey.

You WILL get there, you have so many people on here who will give you all the support you need.

Wishing you lots & lots of luck

xx

Hi LBD,

I was in a similar situation to yourself, I was knocked back for NHS funding twice, as they said I didn't have any significant health issues, although I argued that I would be likely to develop diabetes due to family history, and already having PCOS, I would be more likely to have a stroke, heart attack etc too due to my weight and I wanted this as both a preventative measure and to allow me an opportunity to still enjoy some of my youth. However my application was still turned down.
So in the end I decided to save and go private. I had my band 5 days ago and the way I see it is that yes 7.5K is a lot of money to spend, however it's the price of a new car... a couple of really good holidays etc... but I value my health more over those things and this was the right decision for me.
I think your family would rather have a happy, healthy mum around, than have the concern and worry of you developing significant health issues in the future that are going to impact on your quality of life... so I say go for it, it will definately be worth it :)

Hi LBD.

The battle for funding is just one of many in the war of WLS. I can truly emphasise with your situation having personally been through 3 trust in the bid to get funding. If your up for a fight you could go down the exceptional cicumstances route which all trust has a pot set aside for and cases are deliberated by a forum.

If your going private based on what you have written I would advise you to go for a RNY bypass. I have a family member who had one a few weeks back and I can see the results already. Plus the great thing about a bypass is that is final.

Hiya LBD,

Sod it. Just go private. It is not only putting yourself first but those that love you also. I'm so sorry that yr criteria is different from what you expected. x

I'm really sorry that you can't get NHS funding, as I was lucky to, but if you go private it is an investment in you and your family's future:D
I would have had to if I hadn't got funding;)

It does seem unfair that some PCT's expect such seriously progressed problems before you are approved funding. Mine is one that doesn't follow NICE guidelines!

If you do decide to go private, you should not see it as selfish. It is in the benefit of all who love and depend on you that you are as healthy and happy as you can be!

You seem really open and positive so I look forward to hearing more from you.

Good luck!

Hi Lisa
i too have been struggling for two years, got rejected for funding twice, a truly crushing place to be but like you i have a supporting doctor, who to be fair has fought every corner (and not making herself popular with the localPCT)
so please please stay with us and write and appeal everything, your time will come and its not as if your not patient is it youve invested two years so whats a few more months?....
stick with it be strong and get your arse in gear try to do some kind of diet to show the dr and pct you are trying and are committed to weight loss.....

hope i havnt spoken out of turn but always say what pops into my little man brain xxx

Unfortunately there is no point in me appealing as I am simply not eligible. The criteria was not as my GP and I were expecting. My BMI is not high enough and my high blood pressure is not bad enough!

I have decided to go private and am waiting to hear back from Shaw Somers with an appointment.

Bully - you haven't spoken out of turn. You are absolutely right I need to get my arse in gear and soon!

Now that I have made the decision to go private I do feel better and more motivated. I just hope Shaw will say yes!

good for you..... go get em tiger...
soon be on the losing side x

Hi everyone

Not sure if anyone remembers me but I was a frequent visitor back in the summer. I haven't been around for a while because basically I have been really down and just couldn't face it.

After approaching my GP about WLS he was fantastic and really supportive. He and I were hopeful that I would get funding. Having carried out a lot of research it appeared that I would be eligible.

Although my GP made a referral he received the criteria back from the trust and it seems the criteria was completely different to what we were both expecting. Unfortunately I am not eligible after all.

Despite being mordibly obese and suffering from associated medical conditions neither are bad enough to warrant surgery and so it was pointless taking the matter any further.

It was a real blow to me as I had been considering WLS for several years and it took me a lot of courage to finally speak to my GP about it.

I am now at rock bottom. My weight is increasing all the time and I just don't seem to be able get a grip. I know I am lighter than many people who do have WLS but I know if I do not do something now my future health is really going to suffer.

Despite being so low and depressed about my weight I still don't seem able to address it by sticking to a diet.

I guess my only option is to pay privately and this is something that I am now thinking about. What I am struggling with is that I feel selfish spending that amount of money on just me when I have a family who could enjoy a fantastic holiday with that sort of money!

I've had a quick look around and it seems so many of you are doing brilliantly. It has really made me smile to see so many happy people. You should be so proud of yourselves.

I just hope that I can find some motivation to sort myself out.

Lisa let's be realistic here. Private surgery £7000 or thereabouts? A decent fortnights holiday in the summer for a family of four with spending money, new clothes the inconvenience of air strikes, delays around £3,500 for an average family?

So you go the next two years with no holiday. The kids (presuming you have some) get a mom who is fitter, happier and more than happy to puddle jumping a lot lighter cos she won't feel like she looks ridiculous..... Be serious girl, you know the way to go.

Good luck with your operation xxx

I paid privately and just increased the mortgage. To tell you the truth, with low interest rates, it hasn't made much of a difference to my monthly repayments, at the moment. When I had my surgery there was another woman there, same weight as me and she'd got funding because her PCT had different tick boxes. No point in crying over it, at least I was in the fortunate position to be able to pay (even if it is over the next million years). I was told that my arthritis would not allow my bones to carry my weight to be able to work past the next twelve months, so this is an investment in my working future and my family's financial future. Hope this makes sense. Just go for it.

Back