• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Which scales to weigh in with?

Muttley1900

As I get nearer to target and start thinking about maintaining one of the things I've started to do is more resistance / weights gym work. This is for two reasons 1) more muscle gives higher metabolism and 2) now I've lost most of my excess weight I think it is time to start toning up a little.

Now, what I understand is the more muscle I have the heavier I could get. I know people say 'muscle weighs heavier than fat' and I understand that to mean a cubic inch of muscle would weigh more than a cubic inch of body fat.

So my question is, should I change the scales we have and get some that also give me watery/muscle/fat percentage readings (or some combination of those) and if so, which ones do you use and would you recommend them?

Also, I've been researching "ideal" body fat percentages but there seem to be a a couple of different charts (ACE and Jackson & Pollock) - again, if you use one which one do you use?

Or maybe I should not change the scales and carry on using the BMI score?

Ruthiep

I would have never thought to spend as much money as my scales cost (£119 on amazon), but my kids bought them for me as a gift and I totally love them. They are super duper accurate, measure BMI AND fat, and best thing, they are wirelessly enabled and send your data to your PC and phone app to be displayed as a graph. They're by Withings (www.withings.com) Most other scales I've bought vary hugely in the weight they display, which I find very annoying.

Muttley1900

They are super duper accurate, measure BMI AND fat, and best thing, they are wirelessly enabled and send your data to your PC and phone app to be displayed as a graph. They're by Withings (www.withings.com)

Ah right - they do look good and I use their BP monitor, so I prob have the software already on my computer.

Do they get annoying though, recording your weight every time you get on them - or can you set it to say only record the one you want (e.g. every Sunday morning) - or would you have to delete the recordings you don't want?

chrisa

What bout just using Boots scales they measure your body fat and bmi and weight and print it out for ya x

Yvessa

Muttley1900

Well I didn't splash out the £120 on the wifi connected ones that Ruthiep's very generous family got her - but I did get a set this weekend that also shows fat and water %. The Salter Body Analyser Scale - Model 9114 SV3R.

This currently tells me that I have 21.6% fat - which is interesting to know - and looking at the Jackson & Pollock Ideal Body Fat Percentage chart for men for my age range I am in the "ideal" band (bands are: lean, ideal, average and above average). Which is all very reassuring.

Now to type in the info into myfitnesspal so I remember to monitor it change as I do more weight / resistance exercise.

Last edited: