• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why am I feeling hungry?

Sharie65

I'm 7 weeks post op(RYN) and since I've been able to eat normal food (from 6 weeks) I've found that my appetite has really increased. The worst thing is I seem to be able to eat everything and don't have a problem digesting all the foods people seem to have problems with. Meat has not been a problem at all and neither has rice or pasta. The only thing I haven't tried is bread but I'm not fussed. I'm finding my calorie intake is increasing from 500cals during purée/mash period to almost a 1000 now and I'm starting to pick. Is this normal? It seems to be the evenings that are my "hungry times" when I'm tired. Have started introducing Walkers popped crisps (84cals a bag) as a treat and I know eating crisps is a bad habit but I have made allowances in my calorie intake . I know 1000cals is nothing compared to what I used to be able to eat and drink. Is it bad to calorie count? Being using my fitness pal to try and keep check on what I'm eating. Were you able to eat a lot more when you hit the "normal food" stage?

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Are you eating enough at mealtimes? Are you eating enough meals? Its a common mistake to try and stick to three meals - at your stage you should be loking to have six small meals.

Also, you're right, the crisps are a really bad habit to get into this early on hon.

I feel hungry at times, so I have something to eat. Im now 6 months out but still find im having 4 small meals a day, (could still be served on a side plate size portion) then having fruit or baby bell as a 'snack' in-between. I would maybe try to stay clear of crips/chocolate etc as it can lead to forming bad habits again, also could be 'head hunger' rather than real hunger . If you're in any doubt talk to your dietician, they are generally very helpful and can answer any questions about your diet. I have been told to increase my protein to help reduce the hair loss, and to remember the 20/20/20 rule (chew 20 times, wait 20 seconds between mouthfuls and eat for max of 20 mins) and to eat protein first, then veg and then if room carbs, listen to your body and stop eating when you're full, you can always have something else to eat later if you're hungry again. Im finding it easier to do with a bit of practice and its still a little trial and error to find foods i can eat.

Evenings are my head hunger time, I tend to have a lot to drink and go and have a nice relaxing bath, making sure I look in the mirror to remind myself what I'm working towards and this is enough to make me stop wanting to pick, if I really need something I have a baby bell light and pretend its a wagon wheel lol xxx

Back