• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why did you allow yourself to put on weight?

Roast_Potato

Its been a question that I have asked myself over and over again and its one that I still dont have the answer to :sigh:

Why didn't I stop myself after each new stone went on and as my dress sizes got that 1 size bigger, this angers me like you wouldn't believe, I just think to myself..... why the hell did you eat that extra packet of crisps or that extra couple of chips that were left over or make myself so uncomfortably full that I could hardly move and felt like I was going to explode ................... its pure greed thats all it was!!

I once sat and ate my dinner infront of a mirror (you should try it) and thats when it all changed for me, I grossed myself out, I thought I looked disgusting sitting there stuffing my over-sized face, I knew from then on things had to change, I spoke to my doctor and we spoke about weight loss surgery, I wouldn't have qualified for NHS surgery so I raided my piggy bank and went private, I think paying for it out of my own pocket made me even more determined to succeed as it was all the savings I had and I wasn't going to waste it!

Its not been easy by any means but its been worth every penny and I only wish I had of done it sooner :)

Did something trigger your weight gain or are you like me and have no excuse?

Thanks
Charlotte

mine started when parents split and tried to pull me one way then another. got worse when bullied in my job and then my husband left.x

i started to put weight on in my mid-20's. had a car accident and in the subsequent 9 months gained 10 stone (!). The became a serial yo-yo dieter and have always managed to lose between 3-7 stone, but always regained (plus some). My heaviest was pre-band at almost 23 stone, now post band gaining again (but still 3 stone down from heaviest - clinging on to it for dear life!).

I feel ashamed at my inability to lose weight and keep it off. I know obesity is a complex issue, but I feel that I have let myself down. I struggled with the idea of surgery, and still do - but not sure what else to do though as have tried everything else I can possibly think of...

i have struggled with my weight from when my mum and dad split, i was ten at the time, lost weight when i was 16 i was a size 12 but from the age of 18 i have gone from 11st to over 20st (im now 28yrs). but hopefully on the road to losing my wieght, had my band fitted on saturday.

I was a size 10/12 when I got pregnant 17/18 years agoand I put 6 stone and never managed to loose it. Then the weight slowly came on

i have struggled with my weight from when my mum and dad split, i was ten at the time, lost weight when i was 16 i was a size 12 but from the age of 18 i have gone from 11st to over 20st (im now 28yrs). but hopefully on the road to losing my wieght, had my band fitted on saturday.

Hi skybluebelle

I Live in Coventry too and I have a band! Sorry to hijack the thread everyone.

Maz x

I was a size 12 when i fell pregnant with my first at 21 i packed in smoking and started eating befor that i was slimish and very healthy he was born 12 weeks early so i spent 4 month in hosp with him eating take aways and from then on iv lost a few stone then put it back on plus a little more each time the big crunch for me came when i put my back out lifting him in the bath last year and i thought i have to do something befor i get to big alltogeher to lift him hes now 7,and is most likely to live with us forever so i need to be around as long as possible,
so bypass here i come
for a new and better life
xx

I had Ovarian Cancer (ended up with a total Hysterectomy) and lost several very close relatives including my daughter, my mother, my step son and my best friend all in the same year.

It just piled on after that.

I had Ovarian Cancer (ended up with a total Hysterectomy) and lost several very close relatives including my daughter, my mother, my step son and my best friend all in the same year.

OMG Im so sorry that is awful what you had to go through

Charlotte

:hug99:

I got run over by a 14 year old joyrider when I was 21 and spent 4 months off work. I was immobile for a while and so eased the pain by comfort eating... the weight piled on.

I don't think it's always a case of allowing ourselves to put weight on as such, for probably the majority of overweight folks it's a way of dealing with terrible situations that life throws at them :sigh:

Mine was put on after each pregnancy :sigh:

I had my 1st son 7 years ago, I weighed 10st when I got pregnant and went up to 14st 3lb, I lost about 3 stone and then moved in with my then fiance he was a complete ba*tard and an unbelievable control freak, i wasn't allowed to cook (incase I ruined the kitchen) so almost every night was take-away so the weight soon went back on, a year after my son was born I decided enough was enough and I left the rat, it took about a year to loose 4st. I then met my husband, quit smoking and within 6 months had 2 stone on and found out I was pregnant with my daughter so more weight on, started to plan my wedding for Oct 06, lived at the gym lost some weight and then 3 1/2 months before my wedding my sister & niece were in a cable car crash in Scotland, my niece (3 at the time) broke her leg, my sister broke both her legs, almost lost one of them and my wedding was postponed for a year so some weight went back on :sigh: Got married in Oct 07 (size 18 bride :sigh:) found out at Christmas I was pregnant again with my son and more weight........
Before my op I weighed 15st 3lb :eek: I now weigh 13st 5lb, its so tough but im glad I got banded, the weight loss is slowwwwwww but hey its coming off and thats all that matters

Kate x

Your doing great Kate.
Life can be so tough with wiegh gain. Since puberty, abuse and other things I have always gained weight easily but through strict diets and keep fit (which i love i kept it off.) Until a relationship broke up and my life went into free fall, new house, new job,new partner, adopted child with L.D so new lifestyle drinking heavily etc etc gained 1 stone then 1/2 stone and the rest is history got up to 15 stone nearly down to 10stone up down for last 5 years.
volume eater myself,..... i dont drink but funny enough have always kept up a degree of fitness .

Bonita I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that...

(((big hugs)))

my problems started wen i was 5. started school and went to greatgrans after school till school bus came and she would give me a drink and something to eat. a couple of years later my mum started full time work so wen i got of bus i went to my aunts and as she was making her kids thire tea she gave me a bit then i went home and had my proper tea. being an only one i was very spoiled my dad use to bring me sweets or choc home from work every day and my grandparents spoiled me too. the weight slowly piled on but gp told my mum not to worry just puppy fat and it would go . well it didnt
it just grew but as i was allways fit and healthy i never worried about it. wen i did start to worry thats wen yoyo started i could always manage to lose some but found it imposible to keep off. wen i was pregnant i always lost weight only ever gaining a pound or two nowere near weight of babies but after nomatter wat i did it all went on again and more besides...........kath x

Back