• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When did you..

florabell

..accept surgery as the only option?

I am planning the band for July. I keep reading mags where people have lost 10+ stone at various slimming clubs and I'm constantly questioning myself - why can't *I* do that? I've tried so many times. I just want to feel at peace with my decision. Did any of you feel like this before your surgery?

After having my gallbladder taken out putting weight on , then busting my knee having knee surgery putting on even more weight , then having a very serious health scare it was only THEN I realised WLS was the only serious option for me its sad its taken so many things for my mind to be made up for me just the first one should have been enough of a kick start
I dont regret the wls just how long it took me to realise I had to have it to better my health
hope that helps answer your question
I look forward to reading other people's thoughts on this

I've been big all my life I remember being 10 stone at age 10, 11 stone at 11 and 12 at 12 etc. I did weight watchers lost 3 stone fell pregnant with my daughter aged 21 put more weight on. Went back to weight watchers lost more weight put it back on I went in this vicious circle for many years until 3 years ago I went on a total food replacement diet and lost 8 stone in 6 months as soon as I stopped doing it I put all my weight back on plus more. I'm now at the point were I'm at my all time heaviest of 144kg and I thought enough is enough I went to the docs for help and was referred to level 2 weight management and from there I'm now lucky enough to be on the NHS waiting list for a gastric band.

Getting the weight off is easy, it's keeping it off that's the issue. For me, I knew I could lose the weight but if I regained it , at my age I knew I would be stuffed and end up a fat old lady in a chair. And I started getting weight related health problems, so enough was enough. So my band is my insurance policy, I'm steadily losing weight because I'm doing the right things- no fills as yet, but if and when I start to struggle I will opt for more restriction

i love these clubs i realy do its grate.:mad::mad:

they cost money and sometimes there no good only slimfast will work as its like a liver shrinking diet

I could only ever lose about 5 stone then I'd plateau get cross and regain. My hub and I need to have ivf to have a baby and this was our main reason for opting for the bypass as time is running out. I've lost 12 stone now and having my first cycle of ivf after 10 years of ttc! :) xx

I decided on my 50th birthday we had gone on holiday and upgraded everything to "luxury" but I was struggling to enjoy anything apart from the unlimited food! I wanted to be "normal" as soon as I got home from the holiday I joined this forum and did my research opting to go private so I could have the op asap.
Now at 11 and a half stones lighter, I am so thankful I have had it.

..accept surgery as the only option? I am planning the band for July. I keep reading mags where people have lost 10+ stone at various slimming clubs and I'm constantly questioning myself - why can't *I* do that? I've tried so many times. I just want to feel at peace with my decision. Did any of you feel like this before your surgery?

I had a discussion with my husband right at the point of a stone drop on the pre op diet. I could just stick to this, save the 6.5k and not have the surgery. His one statement was "if you could do it yourself, you would have done it by now" just saying ;-)

I could only ever lose about 5 stone then I'd plateau get cross and regain. My hub and I need to have ivf to have a baby and this was our main reason for opting for the bypass as time is running out. I've lost 12 stone now and having my first cycle of ivf after 10 years of ttc! :) xx

Aww Nicola that is fantastic, well done. I want to lose the weight for a similar reason - I can't get pregnant at this size.

Blowing lots of baby dust your way!! Xo

I had a discussion with my husband right at the point of a stone drop on the pre op diet. I could just stick to this, save the 6.5k and not have the surgery. His one statement was "if you could do it yourself, you would have done it by now" just saying ;-)
Lol, that could be my husband saying that! Wise words x

Flora I lost weight so many times and not to just little bits but great stonking amounts ...8 stones once 6 stones twice. Unfortunately it never stayed off. Plateaued and battled for a bit then exasperation & life in general would take over and before I knew it wham I was back up there and with a few more stone to boot. I always managed to lose when I put my mind to it but once I got to over 20 stone and after my much needed hysterectomy I just couldn't do it anymore. Ill health took over and before I knew it I was nearly 28stone with a body that was literally crumbling under the weight. GP said no I wasn't eligible for surgery and at that point we just couldn't afford private. It was only when my knees gave up the goose within a couple of weeks of each other that I was put forward for surgery and on a wing and a prayer here I am now 16st lighter. Yes after my bypass there has been issues but I wouldn't change anything for the world apart from I should have done this years ago. Good luck on your journey and fingers crossed with baby making :)

Lost and gained so many times, 6st twice, 4st twice, 3st numerous times. Always ended up heavier than every. Said I wouldn't be fat at 40 then 50. A year out from my 60th I knew I couldn't go through this again especially as I was at my heaviest weight ever. I didn't qualify for NHS at my hospital so my wonderful husband agreed to pay for me to go to Belgium.

Good luck on your journey.

Lynn x

your an inspiration

Back