• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are you glad you had your bypass?

Hi all,

I've been wondering if everyone would still go thru a gastric bypass given their time again???

If so why? And if not why?

Also how many months post op do u feel "normal" again, ie able to eat a side plate of food without vomiting, being in pain etc

My minds doing over time at the moment. I've spent so long fighting for my weight loss surgery that now the fights over reality is beginning to kick in and I can quite honestly say I'm petrified and I wish for the sake of my 5 year old I could loose all my weight without major sugery.

R those natural feelings?

Xxxxx

Hi claire , those feeling are so normal , i was exactly the same , i had my bypass in November and i can honestly say its the best thing iv done for myself ever !! Iv lost 2 stone before and 3.5 since , i cant eat everything now and have had no problems , touch wood ! x

I've been wondering if everyone would still go thru a gastric bypass given their time again???
Yes

It has given me the help needed to get my weight down to normal and I have stayed there for 10 months so far. I am also now able to maintain within a couple of pounds much easier than before by following the surgery rules.

Also how many months post op do u feel "normal" again, ie able to eat a side plate of food without vomiting, being in pain etc
Things are never the same or I would be heavy again. I have never been sick since my op and have eaten out since about 3 months post op. The aim is to feel satisfied with what you eat not to manage to eat a set amount. Sometimes cannot manage a teaplate amount now and I am 20 months post op.

My minds doing over time at the moment. I've spent so long fighting for my weight loss surgery that now the fights over reality is beginning to kick in and I can quite honestly say I'm petrified and I wish for the sake of my 5 year old I could loose all my weight without major sugery.

Yes its normal to be scared and wonder wether this is the right thing to do. I knew I needed help to loose and keep off the weight long term as I had never managed to.

Those feelings are completely normal, Im sure most of us would have loved to be able to loose our weight without surgery. As regards how soon did I feel normal after bypass.....never I hope. I dont want to go back to feeling how I did before which is what I classed as normal. I felt well about 1-2 weeks post op and I can eat what I want to eat now, I choose not to eat the cr*p I ate before though :D Thats the new "normal" for me :D I would do the bypass again tomorrow without a second thought ;) XX

Its funny,questions I asked this time last year are being asked again.So yes everything you ask is normal!Maz x

Yes I would do it again, in a heart beat! I am still having troubles now, almost 6 months post-op. Which is why I am in hospital. But I have lost 5 stones 6 pounds since the pre-op and I feel great about myself! The problems pale into insignificance beside how I feel about myself.

Normal, like Dotty says, is a new normal. Normal now is being control around food and making sensible and healthy choices. CHOICES! that word could never be applied to me about food in the past; it was compulsion, not choice.

How you feel is normal. I was afraid pre-op too.

Claire these feelings are very normal and I questioned if it was right up until the morning of leaving home.

I'd done an enormous amount of soul searching, learning, thanks to the forum, and explored my reasons for wanting the surgery and a lot of this comes to the fore again when you are on your pre op...

I'm exactly one week down the road and would have it done again tomorrow.

Love and hugs Angel, it's a partnership working with your new stomach and I believe in doing all we can to make it work.

Wishing you luck and at your side if you need me.

Love and hugs xxx

I feel the same and i'm still very torn over it. My 3 boys only really have me and i am my diabetic,disabled younger brothers only guardian since my mum passed away nearly 5 yrs ago. No one understands him like me and he loves our little family and would not cope if anything happened to me But I must do something before I put on more weight and the surgery becomes more risky, plus my body cannot cope with another 10yrs+ of yoyo dieting

Carebear I was exactly where you are at today, only 8 days ago and I have a feeling it's going to be a long journey full of twists and turns but already... I'm off insulin post op and my blood sugars are around 5.2 to 6.8 (perfection)... I'm so pleased to hear you thinking of slowing down the diabetes... I'm told there is no cure... but the possibility of remission means everything.

Love and hugs, good luck Angel xxx

i would have it done again in a heartbeat, i havent weighed what i weigh now since i was teenager, about 16ish i think, im now 52, i could eat normal type foods from a couple of months out from surgery. again its all down to choices, i love my pouch, like bev said, its a partnership, you look after your pouch and your pouch will look after you. i respect my pouch, and dont want to upset it, but i still have treats, and now cos im almost at goal, i do have the occasional jaffa cake, or kit kat, but only occasionally, cos thats all i want them.

Bless you all, thanking for taking time to reply.

I think cos the bypass is elective it feels like I'm taking a risk for nothing if you know what I mean.

I just wish I was in recovery and all was well.

I'm so glad no one regrets it.

Do you feel different inside if u get what I mean, does it always hurt? Do u feel really unwell after or does it just hurt?
I just find it hard to know how I'm gonna feel afterwards.

x x x x

I've not had a bypass - but I don't even think about being different inside.

I get full very quickly - and am sick if I push it - I can't eat spicy food I get a very sore lower bowel the next day if I do - but I've never felt different or had more wind or pain than before.

I've to have an ultrasound cos my livers not right - and realised I'll have to tell them about the op - or they'll be reporting I've got really weird plumbing!!

But I never think of it - and I'd do it agin in a blink of an eye - cept I'll never have to!!

xxx

Hi all,

Ive answered this a few times, the honest answer right now is I dont know, there are fors and againsts.

Why would I? Well.......i'm thin, i am training to do the job i always wanted to do, I have more confidence, i dont hate looking in the mirror.
Why wouldn't I?....... Its a big deal, eating the right amount of everything is difficult, remembering to take daily medication is a must you need those meds if you dont take them this can be detrimental to your health. Every time you get a stomach pain you think something has gone wrong.

Also how many months post op do u feel "normal" again, ie able to eat a side plate of food without vomiting, being in pain etc.You probably can never eat more than a side plate at a time.

Xxxxx

All the best for the future

You are perfectly normal in worrying and also questioning whether you could lose the weight on your own. The answer is probably no, if you've got as far as asking for and fighting for surgery then you know it's your only option!

Right, my surgery was 'open' and not keyhole like a lot of people on here (my primary care trust are generous with funding but not many people get the extra for keyhole, mainly open) so i have a scar approximately 8 inches long down my midriff. It's not too bad actually and is quite neat and fading well at the bottom. So post surgery i was very worried about bursting something coughing or straining but it was absolutely fine...

As for food? I've been sick a couple of times, both times it was early days and i think eggs were the root of that evil, my pouch just wasn't ready for them. Nowadays they don't bother me at all :) I ate out very early post op, although it was only in Sainsburys cafe with a nice bowl of soup. No way would i risk 'solid' food out then in case i needed to chuck. I soon learned how to listen and know not to eat anymore and you'll be amazed how quickly you get to know your new best friend (i call my pouch Tina and love her dearly) and when to stop feeding her...

My weight loss has not been as fast as some on here, i thought i was very much alone in that fact but there are others out there, they're just not as voiceferous as i am. Since June 10th i'm just over 4 stone down but i've gone from a size 24 elasticated skirt to a size 18 (the other day it was a 16 - but i sucked in lol) and my shirt size has gone from a 28 to a 18-20. More importantly i can walk for miles, today i've done around 4 i guess to and from work. Recently i did 20 over 10 days and loved every minute of it.

I love my bypass, i still love food and enjoy every mouthwatering mouthful of good healthy tasty food. I am a new woman who actually looks in the mirror and likes what i see xxx

Hi, I think that what you are feeling is normal, especially when you have dependants. I had my surgery in October and have never regretted it. Like Jacqui and others have said I would not want to return to my old 'normal' self. My new self enjoys exercise and involving my children with it. My new self doesn't have to live with the daily excruitiating pain it used to and I enjoy squeezing through spaces I would have avoided before. I enjoy being satisfied with a smaller plate of food and knowing when I am full. I still have psychological hunger but, this op wasn't designed to combat that. Most of all I love the look of pride on my children's, husband's, family and friends faces when they see how much I have changed since the op.

I had a few episodes of vomiting and wind pain but this rarely happens now. I only get wind pain if I forget to eat or eat too quickly. I just wish I had had this surgery years ago rather than when I was 50.

Rebirthxx

I agree with everyone....My pouch is my new best friend, and has helped to give me a life I never thought i would have!! I was uncomfortable for a couple of days but that was mainly wind pain, and it is soon forgotten, and was back to normal routine within a week......... your emotions will be all over the place but for me it was the best thing i could have done for myself xxxxxxxx

You are all so amazing. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

I have to be in hospital this Sunday at 5pm ready for my op Monday morning. If it's ok can I let you all know how I go on. It'll give me purpose in what will be the scary day.

Is it daft to want your mum when ur 36 years old. I'd still sit on my mums knee (though I think if squash her lol)

Thank you all again x x x

When I first come round from surgery I hated every minute of it. I completely regretted my bypass and was so depressed. I was like that for 2 months after my surgery. I did have complications where I needed to have the entrance to my pouch stretched twice.

Now, I am sooooo glad I did it, it was all worth it. The difference to my life before bypass and life after bypass is tremendous.

I am more active, less sleepy, less sweaty (in fact I'm cold all the time now), less breathless etc. I do have a lot more pain in my joints now after having so much weight on them for so long but even that's worth it.

For the first few months post op you'll feel nauseous quite a lot especially first thing in the morning but that does eventually go. I started feeling 'normal' post op about 6 months out. I went out and had a meal with my sister and I made sure I took my time and chewed properly and I managed to eat a meal in a gastropub.

You'll know when to stop because you feel full. It's weird I know, but as long as you take your time and allow your tummy time to tell you that it's full you'll prevent yourself from vomiting and pain. I was so scared the first time I ate after surgery, I just dipped my spoon in the soup I was given and then licked it rather than slurped it from the spoon.

Keep up the fluids is another piece of advice I can give you. It's vitally important. Have a sports cap bottle with water or no added sugar squash in it next to you all the time and keep sipping from it throughout the day.

You will be frightened as it's an elective operation rather than a life saving one, but to me it has been a life saving operation. I would have eventually died from all the extra weight I was carrying. It's perfectly natural to be feeling like this and I think most of us would be worried if you weren't so scared.

Best of luck for your op and rest easy and allow yourself time to heal.

hugs xx

The best thing I ever did in my entire life!!!

Yes it's hard, yes I have days when I feel so sad I can't eat lots any more, but would I do it all again, goodness yes, in a heartbeat!!!

xxx

Thanks to "nothing to like anymore" for posting this and the responses are great! All answered some questions I've had!!

Back