• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

why do some ppl dump and others not ?

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
:) Just a question that i often wonder about if anyone has a valid answer id love to hear it, why do some bypassers dump and others dont have any effect from what they eat ?

cheers from Lizx

ANYONE ?

ok np mickie x

The only thing i've found that vaguely makes sense is that it's down to surgical technique, apparently it depends where the surgeon makes his cut ( above or below a certain point )

Other than that i guess it might be down to the way some people are more prone to diabetes and some aren't? Or why some people are lactose intolerant and some aren't?

Thats just a guess though. If anyone knows for sure i'd also be interested in the answer :D

How common is dumping?

This is a difficult question to answer because dumping is probably only an exaggeration of what happens in normal life. We are all familiar with the feeling of abdominal fullness and sleepiness which can follow a large meal but symptoms are usually mild.

Dumping will be most noticeable soon after the operation and will be made worse by larger meals. Probably 20-50% of patients who have recently undergone a stomach operation as described above will notice such symptoms, and those who do not probably have the same changes going on inside them, but their circulations are less sensitive to the fall in blood volume and their intestines are less sensitive to bloating

As time passes, the symptoms become less, until by twelve months after the operation fewer than 5% of patients still complain of symptoms. The other 95% may also have them to a minor degree, but have learned to live with them. This means that they have discovered ways of reducing the impact of the condition on their lives.

ty for the responses, i was told diebetics tend to dump less or not at all, also as time passes dumping becomes less to none existant, i dont know how true the facts ive been told is x

When talking of dumping its two different cause and effects. Sugar dumping is an amount of sugar that quickly gets into your gut. It then causes your body to release a massive insulin surge which causes the shaking and hot and cold and all the unpleasant dumping effects. The only way to get over this is to sleep it off.

Fat dumping is a large amount of fat that hits he gut that it can't absorb. It may result in a loss of control of bowels or if you have an iron constitution gurgling and a loosening of stools.

If you are sensitive then you may get a combination of both. If like me you are long term diabetic (over 20 years) then you wont be able to produce enough insulin to dump on sugar and if you also have an iron gut like me then fat won't be too much of a problem either!

This is not necessarily a good thing if you want dumping to be a deterrent, but over time the body adapts and after a while it will get used to the modifications and dumping will get less and less.

My Father had his stomach removed because of cancer and I saw him dump on his first meal. He had no dietary advice and he ate a bowl of soup. It was the scariest thing I ever saw and this made me terrified of dumping however I had to test my limits because I was scared of accidental dumping at a time and in a place when it would be a big issue. I found I don't dump and I did the research to find out why. The answer is I produce so little insulin that I can't manage a full on sugar dump. I think I am saved by the fact that now I have changed my eating habits I have lost interest in sugar. A tiny tiny amount of very good chocolate is more than enough to satisfy me, and that would be once in a hundred years!! lol So I very rarely even think about sweet things.

I do have a slight reaction to fat but now I use that to my advantage. It helps keep me regular if I feel slightly constipated, I will slightly up my fat and I am sorted. I like that now I can feel the response of my body to the food that I put in so I can alter things accordingly.

I don't pretend to be an expert but this is my conclusion to the research I have done.

I find dumping very unusual. I can eat a small portion of chocolate (like one square) or skinny cow ice cream but cannot touch something like Skittles. But I had a few jelly beans with no issue. No rhyme or reason for me.

God, you are an impatient woman lol !!
I have no definite answers either but i read on the net that people with pre existing problems regarding sugar, such as diabetics and those lucky people like myself with PCOS are more prone than others. The tips they gave to avoid it as well as the usual avoid sugar and large meals were to lay down after eating, as this slows the speed that the food enters and exits the stomach as the causes of the symptoms are due to the sugary foods passing in to the small intestine too quickly, causing the body to produce extra insulin and draw extra fluid into the intestine. They also say to avoid drinking as you eat as this increases the fluid levels in the intestine (i previously though we were told not to drink just because it would bloat us !)
So does this mean that if i ate a wispa and laid flat on the floor for an hour i would be okay ? :D

So does this mean that if i ate a wispa and laid flat on the floor for an hour i would be okay ? :D

LOL Jayne

I have visions in my head of all of us lying down all over the country and eating chocolate!!:8855:

:) Just a question that i often wonder about if anyone has a valid answer id love to hear it, why do some bypassers dump and others dont have any effect from what they eat ?

cheers from Lizx

From what I've read several times in several tomes while doing my research, dumping isn't as common a phenomenon as people think. Even when dumping does happen it's something you can 'grow out of' as time goes on. Again this is only what I've read.

I guess some people have a greater sensitivity to sugar in the gut than others. Additionally I'm also guessing it may also be attributed to how much gut has been bypassed.

I'm sure other well learned, better learned posters can set me and you straight on this.

Interesting Thread Liz i always wondered about this. I haven't dumped in any form at 8 months post op and find i can eat most things. That said i stay away from the obvious sugar sweets and chocolate as i'm frightened i won't dump then i might eat them. I too was told it could be to do with surgeon technique and the fact that Mr Ammori hand stitches some parts is an advantage, i could be totally wrong there though! x

Great question Liz, and I too would love to know the medical reasons for dumping. Someone like Phatgirl would know, I bet.

I havent experienced the really horrid dumping that some bypassers have had where they shake, vomit and even pass out. But I have experienced tiredness on a couple of occasions after eating a larger than normal meal (thats bypassers normal!) or after eating a carb heavy meal.

I have eaten plenty of things that could have caused me to dump if I was prone to it, such as chocolate, biscuits etc... And before I get jumped on, I dont eat things like this every day - just occasionally. I had a bypass to live a normal life, not to be constantly watching every morsel of food that passes my lips.

Great question Liz, and I too would love to know the medical reasons for dumping. Someone like Phatgirl would know, I bet.

I havent experienced the really horrid dumping that some bypassers have had where they shake, vomit and even pass out. But I have experienced tiredness on a couple of occasions after eating a larger than normal meal (thats bypassers normal!) or after eating a carb heavy meal.

I have eaten plenty of things that could have caused me to dump if I was prone to it, such as chocolate, biscuits etc... And before I get jumped on, I dont eat things like this every day - just occasionally. I had a bypass to live a normal life, not to be constantly watching every morsel of food that passes my lips.

Sam hun i am so pleased u wrote that as that is exactly how i feel about my bypass, and some people wont admit it but do eat some naughty things but make out they dont and it has been so refreshing to read u posting this and if u dont mind i want to add it to my signature as this is how i truly feel about my bypass and ty for ur honesty posting that.
Take care luv Roch xxx

Ps i highlighted that and not Sam :):)

I know a lot of patients of Mr Ackroyd (my surgeon) and some dump and others dont so I dont think that it is the style of the surgery. I dont know or the cause but know that I now feel the effects of foods, good and bad, on my body much easier than I used to.

I've properly dumped 3 times, and it's a horrid experience; shaking, sweating, dizziness and loss of bowel control:(:(Twice it was due to medication, and the last time I think it was due to sorbitol in sugar free polos, which I thought was ok for us bypassers, but I read it can also have a bad effect on some people:eek::eek::eek:
I am not trying choc, cakes etc, cos if I find I can eat them I will be back to same size as pre op, cos I have no will power at all:eek::eek:

I've properly dumped 3 times, and it's a horrid experience; shaking, sweating, dizziness and loss of bowel control:(:(Twice it was due to medication, and the last time I think it was due to sorbitol in sugar free polos, which I thought was ok for us bypassers, but I read it can also have a bad effect on some people:eek::eek::eek:
I am not trying choc, cakes etc, cos if I find I can eat them I will be back to same size as pre op, cos I have no will power at all:eek::eek:

I totally agree with you here, i know that sweets, chocolate and biscuits put most if not all of my weight on before surgery,so i made my mind up i would not touch them after my surgery and certainly don't want to experience a dump. Janey:D:D

Thanks for writing that Sam. When I mention some of the things I eat, you can hear the judgment being passed. As my surgeon said, everything in moderation.

Back