• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassers and chocolate

everpositive

Good evening.

Wondered where my fellow/fellowess bypassers :D are in terms of eating chocolate and sweets?? To date, 6 months in, the closest I've come to having any choccy or sweets has been a digestive with a cup of tea, occasional jam on toast and once I had a celebration milky way. Tonight I went into the local co-op for milk. I was browsing the sweets section to get stuff for my 3 kids and got a real urge for some for myself. I gave into the craving and bought a kit kat. Not had it yet and will wait until my 9pm cup of tea (sad to drink tea by the clock, I know). Does anyone else have the occasional sweet treat and if so what, how much, how often and what effects do you have?

Cheers in anticipation xx

Hiya,
I had the other night a Penguin biscuit and i felt ok, It never bothered me at all, and last night i had one of those little Taz chocolate with caramel inside and I was ok with that too, I think as long as it is little and not often it won't do any harm, I am addicted to Starburst at the min and can eat a full pack lol without any ill effect.

I have a boiled sweet now and again and a biscuit when I fancy 1 or 2. I have had chocolate (couple of pieces) but as of yet I havent bought myself any, all with no side effects

I am sensitive to sugar and have found that I can't have biscuits so when I fancy something sweet I have some thorntons diabetic dark chocolate, toffee or turkish delight and have been fine with them and have 4 small squares of chocolate which is 15g and that keeps the cravings and urges at bay.

I have had up to 4 squares of dark chocolate and the *very* occasional biscuit, with no dumping. But one morning I had a greek style yoghurt - natural low fat yoghurt with a spoonful of honey stirred in and O dear! Dumpsville, Arizona!

I think a little bit of what you fancy occasionally is not a bad thing - unless you can't stop at a little bit, then it can be a dangerous thing!

Ah! With the caveat that if you are a sensitive dumper, like Terri, you really do have to be very careful and seek sugar-free or other suitable substitutes to satisfy sweet cravings.

Last edited:
I used to be a chocoholic too, a real bad one lol, that was my downfall before my Op, and I can honestly say hand on heart, I am not one anymore, I hardly ever want it and never think about it anymore, only on a very rare occasion, like TOM and sometimes I just fancy a bit and I have maybe at the very most 4 squares,just to take that little crave away. I Never deprive myself of anything I want, because I don't treat my bypass as a diet, If i want it I have it, as i know i can only eat a little of it anyways and a little of something i fancy every now and again doesn't do any harm. It really amazes me how I have changed so much towards chocolate, Because I used to absolutly love the stuff, Hence why I was Fat. But now I can take it or leave it.

is evil if you a choccy fan then bypass all the way, bands wont stop you restricting the amount you can scoff. im not a big choc eater but when i have my weights went up :17729:

I do like chocolate but since having my 3rd stroke (which affected my swallowing) I find it hard to get down. It always seems really dry and difficult to swallow. I could get away with it if I had a drink to wash it down but with the band I don't eat and drink together so its a no go anyway.

I am a chocoholic:eek:, so have been having choc sugar free angel delights this first post op week.It has helped me feel like i'm getting a little treat, plus has milk in so protein too:D:D

I buy no-sugar-added choc from sainsbury's for TOTM, I still crave it then. I also have found a sugar-free website to order biscuits, atkins choc & anything else I might want so I am all set! But if I am really craving, I can have a nibble or two or regular stuff. I am trying not to make that into a habit. Best if I avoid it if I can.

choc is the devils food !

My sweet tooth has gone since my surgery and the thought of chocolate makes me heave. I have no wish for it to return as for me, it would be a slippery slope back to weight gain.

Hi i am 4 weeks post op and treated myself to 2 squares of galaxy choc, sucked them til the melted and loved every moment. Worried I might dump but I was OK, tiny bit of gurgling in the gut. I also treat myself nowand again to sugarfree ice pops, they are lovely.

Interesting post ladies good to know you can still have a little of what you fancy post op I am diabetic and have diabetic ice cream but do indulge in a little regular choc from time to time.
Have been trying to wean myself off ready for the op,, but thanks for all the sharing of info

Jay xx

im type one diabetic, never been a sweetie person but since my op trying to regulate my food/insulin intake sometimes when going into a hypo i have a milkyway not always no ill effects from having it but im guessing because my blood sugar is already low it just brings up to normal levels not going over the top with a major sugar rush. xxx

Back