• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why does the hunger kick in during the night?

reema

Hi guys I'm on my 6weeks and last week i could keep anything in. And this week is a different story. OK well I'm fine until the moment i start eating i just cant get my self to have breakfast so i start my first meal about 3pm and then within 30min i feel hungry again i truly dont understand this i thought we wasn't supposed to feel hunger and I'm telling you its not head hunger can some one please kindly explain as I'm so confused ad i need help as i eat my last meal at 10pm which i know is not good at all but what can one do as i feel hunger during the night..:confused::confused:

Breakfast can be difficult but I think 3pm is much too late for starting to eat. Your body needs a protein fix. Could you try a protein drink at mid-morning and then something about 2pm and then evening at 6-7pm. Keeping fluids up all day should help stave off hunger. Somepeople are lucky after the op and don't feel hungry but some, including me do. I tackled it by ensuring I drink all through the day and get in at least 2-3litres of water per day plus other fluids. Thats a bit difficult in those amounts at your stage but try to get as much in as you can as it all helps quel the hunger pangs. Other than that you just need to get through these early stages and you will be able to use more dense foods to fill your pouch for longer.

M

I agree with M, 3pm is far too late to start eating. You will not be getting nearly enough calories or nourishment and your weight loss will suffer.

The reason you are getting hungry during the night is simple... you are not eating enough during the day.

If I don't eat breakfast I know I will suffer for it later in the day and usually end up starving by 9pm. Having breakfast means I get in my three meals and this along with 2-3ltrs of fluids keep the hunger pangs at bay.

Cuppa xx

By not eating till 3pm yr not even starting yr matabolism so over a period of time your weight loss is going to be a lot slower. even of its milk based coffee yr better off having something than nothing. if i have missed a meal because of one of the children having a crisis i can find that i end up having two meals in quick sucession because i am hungry but i am 15 months out.

Hi Reema

As below but you could also try making sure your last meal is high protein like quiche or scrambled egg rather than carbs, Protein fills u for longer, and make sure u eat to full restriction. You could also try having a glass of milk before bed or milky highlights? Milk fills me up as its thicker than other liquids.

Its all trial and error. x

Hi
I also don't eat in the mornings, it's a long standing thing and something I am working on as I know it isn't ideal, but when you don't have a system that wants to eat early it's hard to force it.

At weeks post op I would agree that you should be eating little and often. I try and make myself have something, even if it us just a dairylea triangle or a few spoonfulls of yogurt.

Are you taking a PPI? If I don't take mine (as I am quite forgetful) towards the end of the day and into the night I notice a feeling in my stomach that is A LOT like hunger! But it's usually just juices in my tummy gurgling around. It is helped by eating, but it is also helped by my lansoprazole so I don't always think it is hunger.

I agree that overall this eating habit you and I have does produce slower weight loss, but it does still come off. I have lost 6 stone in 6 months, which is excellent but I know compared to some it's nothing. However, you are only 6 weeks post op and still healing and adjusting and it will take you a while to find what suits you best.

Good luck

Rxx

I'm pre op but i read on someone else's thread that someone who couldn't do breakfast in the morning had a slimfast shake instead. Thus getting her protein in and having something in there to start the old engine working...

Hope all the advice helps and am really really hoping that this is as successful for you as you want it to be Reema. I read your crunchie post with interest and think following that you are going to do absolutely fantastic. Well done so far :) xx

In the bad old days. I would risk life and limb by walking to the local all night garage for goodies.
And one night I got up, made a packet of scones and fanned them until they were cool enough to eat. Terrible.

Hey guys thank you so much for your advice much appreciated i will take everybody kind advice an put it to use..best wishes to all..xxx

Hi Reema, i have to agree with the other posts, you are eating a bit late in the day but i understand how things are with breakfast. I never used to have breakfast but now I force myself and must say cant go without it now. Do you get up early or sleep in late? If you just cant eat first thing try a protein shake like others have said as it will fill you untill lunch time and get the metabolism going drink loads as this really does stop hunger pangs.
I hope you get settled in a regular pattern that suits you and you get the results that you long for.
Good luck and keep going, we are all here rooting for you hun xxx

Last edited:
Back