• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why forums like this are so important..

Banderbird

I'm sure most of us who've contemplated weight loss surgery have spent many hours online looking at articles, reading 'before and after' stories - and all the horror stories about failed operations too.

I'm the same, and I've been online more than ever this week with lots of time on my hands as I recover from being banded.

I stumbled across this thread on the Digital Spy forum, which I guarantee will annoy everyone on here. It's a classic example of your typical narrow-minded and ill-informed views about WLS:

Gastric band update a year on :) - Advice - Digital Spy Forums

This thread demonstrates the exact reason why I've told very few people about my WLS.

It's such a shame that, pretty much universally, people think it's the easy way out, a cheat and a cop-out, and look down on people who've had it.

No-one understands that, in fact, it takes more discipline than any diet ever did. With a diet, the worst thing that can happen is you put weight back on. After surgery, if you don't stick to the rules it can lead to major health and medical complications.

In a nutshell, people just don't get it. Stop eating cake. Get down the gym. Of COURSE, if only I'd thought of that!

Anyway, it just reinforced to me what an important role this forum has in reassuring and informing people, and also making those who are considering surgery feel welcome and understood at last.

There are many ignorant, jealous and cruel individuals around us who don't or wouldn't understand why we've made this decision, but thankfully this forum is full of friendly, empathetic and knowledgeable folk who absolutely do understand.

Long may it last, and thank you.

It didn't annoy me as with every forum and every subject there will be folks who
A) Agree with the subject
B) Disagree with the subject
C) The trolls who are there to cause as much trouble as possible, I have worked online moderating forums/chatrooms for over 14 years now, nothing surprises me, I think folks say stuff online that they would never say to a persons face.

I have to say I have kept away from the youtube and non WLS forums I like this place its warm and fuzzy :)

Just to add, the original poster of that topic had posted her intent in a previous topic (and had similar responses, I don't know why she bothered posting an update).

In her original topic, someone posted this, which I have quoted below as I LOVE it - what a great response:

Originally Posted by wonkeydonkey:

Awww.
embarass.gif
For some reason that kind of post really annoys me though. As if anyone would be paying for a gastric band because they have never thought of cutting down their food and increasing their exercise. It all goes to confirm for me that there are two types of human being that will never understand each other: those who have no difficulty keeping their weight down and those who do. Which wouldn't matter if people from the first category would just accept their lack of understanding and shut their uncomprehending mouths on the subject.

There is also something really creepy about the hostility those proud of their thinness feel towards those who have weight loss surgery. If they can't rant on about the financial cost (as in this case) they need to focus their rage on something, because the honest truth is that even if they have the smallest appetite in the world they enjoy the triumph of being thin and not being seen as greedy and lazy, and really HATE the thought of someone cheating and joining their elite crew without maximum pain and suffering.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind about internet forums is you can be whoever you want to be, often the ones doing the worse put downs - about whatever subject - are the ones that maybe need to boost their own egos :)

for me its been a great help because you can sit in as many group sessions designed to prepare you for surgery but i ask where are those that have been thru surgery? I finally found 2 local ladies to me whom had both had bypass and i can honestly say this forum and meeting them ladies for 30 mins or so have been so helpful more so than any group meeting i've attended lol so i say bless you all x x x x

Back