• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why do I feel so embarrased about telling people?

I have told my parents, my best friend (who I also work with) and three other close friends who don't live near.

To everyone else I have said that I have had an operation on my intestines and bowel (which is the truth). I work in a school and don't want everyone gossiping about it. Even close colleagues who are friends don't know. I expect they might guess as I am going back to work this week over 2 and a half stone lighter, but if they ask I'll just say it was an operation on my intestines, and that it has cured my diabetes. Not a lie.

This is how I look at it. If I had an addiction to drugs or booze, I would get professional help for it. If I had problems with smoking, I would get help for it. You have a medical problem and you are seeking help. Some people go cold turkey and get off drugs and booze, I was able to give up fags without help but I needed help for being vastly overweight. Everyone Ive told without exception has commended me on doing something totally positive to make myself healthier and also told me how brave they think I am - bit unnecessary but very nice. I embrace the fact that there is something out there that can be done medically to make me healthy and happier than I have been in many years.

I have been in a similar position. I only told my husband, mum and best friend once I had the first appointment to see the surgeon. Since then I have been honest with my boss and she has been so supportive, with letting me have time off to attend the hospital appointments. I was not going to tell anyone else but my MIL was asking when are we going to have children, so I tried putting her off saying not for another 12 months. She was not impressed so I just told her. I think she had to pick her jaw up from the floor with the shock.

Apart from these people, I have not told anyone else, as right now I don't want to have to explain my reasons why. But I think this will change once I am on the losers side.

Back