• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why I am having a bYpass

starry

HI All

Well 11 days till surgery and an attack of the wobbles so I needed to remind myself why I am doing this !! and apologies to you all but I felt the need to tell you all !!

1/ To be rid of diabetes, blood pressure problems and be healthy

2/ to see my 3 lovely boys grow up

3/ not to have to put on the confident laugh a minute life and soul of party front when inside I am dying and want to fall into the floor

4/ to be able to look at a photo or home video and not feel embaressed and actually disgusted

5/ To run the local half marathon one day and then the london one with all my friends who already do !!!!!

6/ to be able to go out with my friends and not feel everyone is looking at me and thinking what a good looking bunch of people shame about the fat one - the paranoia to be gone

6/ to just be .....happy and content.

If I get half of those I will be happy bunny !!

Friends are mainly very supportive but I have noticed a few are being a bit distant and a bit negative and trying to put down what I am doing a bit which upsets me as one is supposedly my best friend !

still I have no doubt you find out who your friends are !

Thanks for listening !!

Liz x

Lovely post Starry. I can understand the wobble you are having. I guess everyone goes through that stage. Many of your reasons are the same as mine.

Good luck hun xx

Hi Liz, great thread. Here's my list:

1. To feel like a human being for once in my life. I have been overweight all my life and have never had the childhood dream of being able to do games properly, run with my friends, wear decent clothes etc. To be able to go for a long walk with hubby without planning ahead of where we go so to utilise the best places to sit down every few minutes.

2. To be able to reach my feet easily to cut my toenails - I can do it but it takes alot of effort. (I can remember years ago being able to get my feet in my mouth - now my belly gets in the way!)

3. To be able to go upstairs on a bus easily without huffing and puffing.

4. To get rid of the puffy ankles and swollen feet which makes shoe buying very difficult - to wear a pair of zip up knee-length boots would be great.

5. Obviously, improvement in health. I'm lucky that I don't suffer from diabetes although my blood pressure can be high at times.

6. Feeling normal instead of an outcast. When I'm in town and I see young girls in skinny jeans and crop tops, I feel old and frumpy. To sit on the beach in a bathing suit and not worry that someone will ask me to move cos the tide wants to come in!

7. To have more energy to do more instead of do a bit, stop, sit down for a while, get up, do a bit more, stop again etc.

Well I guess that's about it. The people I have told I'm having surgery have been supportive. I know hubby is worried I may not survive the surgery, but as I always remind him, I am not living at the moment, I am merely surviving, and if having the surgery gives me a chance to live a normal life, then I have to take the risk.

Will be interested in other people's views.
All the best
Julie x

Great posts ladies. Those reasons are all my reasons too, and more.

One stupid reason that springs to mind, that is bothering me at the moment, is so that i dont have to drive around looking for the best parking spot so i know that i will be able to open the door to get out, or know that i will be able to get back in.
Or when im in a restaurant can i move my chair back enough to get out. etc etc etc
Its little things like this that a fat person worries about, but doesnt cross the mind of a slim person.

Hi Girls :)

Tell you what you should try, is print these lists out and put them on the inside of your top food cupboards, so everyday you read them.

I have a list of dreams and goals on mine...it keeps me focused and reminds me why I had the surgery.

Good luck on all your journies ;):)

amazing all these are my reasons too....also one more to sit on a plastic chair not worrying that the legs may go ....happened to me twice and I stay clear of them now ...pain when on holidays...

keep going...keep smiling and I will also pin a list to my fridge

juni

Im reading these posts and you guys could be talking about me. Guess we all have the same reasons - the bit about parking the car is very me at the moment. I dont go to places if I cant park close to where I need to be - I wonder how I ever managed to get myself into this state. I also want to smack anyone who says that Bariatric surgery is a quick fix and that fat people are lazy. Its the last taboo isnt it - someone should educate them.

Liz I had friends too who initially were very supportive of my decision for surgery then they changed and became envious although there was nothing stopping them from following the same route...it all comes good in the end.

My reasons were to stop the horrible sickly headaches that plaqued my life for seven years getting worse and worse each year. These were caused by the undiagnosed sleep apnea....happy to say that they were the first thing to go. I have also returned to the much happier person I used to be always up for a laugh. I turned into a miserable emotional wreck, especially over the last two years which when you think about how I was suffering is no surprise.....I love being me now. I feel positive, confident, young, healthy and so bloody sexy lol I feel although I have turned 50 this year that I am in my prime and I love every minute of it....xx

I have found that negativity comes generally for 2 reasons, jealousy and ignorance. People don't understand what its like and think you are taking the easy route. I have found that once i explain to people that i don't sit eating all day long and what the op involves it does help and the negativity stops as for the jealous ones they're just not worth bothering with.

Spot on as usual Terri xx

Great posts everyone - wobbles are fading !!!

Tesmerelda you are right but at the moment U cant be bothered with her - lots of people who I didnt expect it are being great offering to pick the kids up etc.

I think some people like having a fat friend - makes them feel better

xx

Well said to all who have posted on this thread. It seems we are all doing this for the same reasons and thats why we are all here on minis to support each other through our life changing decisions.
I wish every single one of you (pre and post op) the very best in achieving the life you really want.
xx Gaynor xx

Hi
I had my bypass on Saturday 4th April. It was absolute plain sailing for me. No pain as such, felt like I had done too many sit ups. I didn't need morphine. Came home on Monday. I didn't worry to much about it until the day. Didn't panic until I got to the anasthetic room. 2 mins later anethatist said, "I just want to give you this sedative." What seemed like 1 min after that I woke up - job done. Saw my GP today on another matter he couldn't believe how well I looked. So please don't worry - and best wishes I'm sure averything will be fine.

Ruthie K thank you for that - so helpful.

Also all the above things are true for me and my daughter says she wants her children to know me. - who can argue with that?

Back