• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why Is It Different For Me?

Spikeyjaycee

After seeing some members getting their surgery dates through pretty quickly, including one girl who saw the consultant the week before I did (Kate), I contacted Christine at St Richards to see how much longer I would have to wait. (I saw Mr Slater on 29 April). She said he had requested that I see a psychologist first and that an appointment would be sent out soon.
My question is WHY do some people have to see dieticians/psychologists/aneathatists etc before surgery whilst others seem to go straight from consultant appointment to surgery.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining (well I am I guess!) and I'm really pleased for the likes of Kate etc who have their ops in 3 weeks, it just seems like we are all being treated unequally and I don't think that's right.
OK, moan over with. Julie x

hi, i saw my consultant last june then the surgeon at the end of august and was put on the waiting list for gastric bypass, i heard nothing until april when they rang and said my op would be 13th may. they are all different across the country before and after surgery, its crazy how much they differ!
lisa xxx

Everyone has a different experience - personally I think its good that you have to go through all these tests and meetings - its such a huge lifechanging operation that I welcomed them. You have to meet with the anesthetist - he is in charge of keeping you alive on the table! The Psychologist is to establish that you know exactly what you are doing and if you have any eating disorders that will need treatment - they wont go away post surgery. Dietician - thats common sense - you have to be able to know what you can and cant eat and how to look after yourself. You need to be armed with as much info as possible I think.

Yes, each area has it's own policies. Wales, which is where I live, does 12 WLS a year for the entire principality. It doesn't seem fair and must be frustrating for you but hopefully it will all go through soon for you x

strong.jpg
ClownWinking.gif

i know it is fustrating and i was in two minds whether to post that i have got my op date. i have been in counselling on and off so Mr Sommers felt i was ok with that side of things and i am only on his list so my op will be done by him where as other people may see for eg Mr Tims or Mr Slaster but my be operated on either one of them, i asked Mr Somers if he would be operating on me and he said not nesseccarily unless i wanted him i said yes., at my preop i will see the relevant people. once again julie i am sorry for your wait. feel bad that you are still waiting if i could wave a magic wand i would.
love kate xxx

It's SO frustrating! A girl who had her first appointment one week before me now has her op date and I'm still waiting for my pre-op assessment! The reason for this is that immediately after her appointment they introduced a two-month 'cooling off' period' . Just my luck!
Julie, not everyone sees the psychologist because they are just far too busy. They just want to make sure that you will be able to cope with the op. Don't despair - you'll get there in the end. We all will. Big hug xx Z xx

After seeing some members getting their surgery dates through pretty quickly, including one girl who saw the consultant the week before I did (Kate), I contacted Christine at St Richards to see how much longer I would have to wait. (I saw Mr Slater on 29 April). She said he had requested that I see a psychologist first and that an appointment would be sent out soon.
My question is WHY do some people have to see dieticians/psychologists/aneathatists etc before surgery whilst others seem to go straight from consultant appointment to surgery.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining (well I am I guess!) and I'm really pleased for the likes of Kate etc who have their ops in 3 weeks, it just seems like we are all being treated unequally and I don't think that's right.
oh julie im so wiyh you i got my funding and referal last august saw shaw somers in jan and psych in april an im still waiting luv debbie x x

Julie sending you lots of hugs and ooooodles of fairy dust to sprinkle over you and make you feel better and have a lighter heart x

Hi debbie - i got referral and funding last July, didn't see Mr Slater till 29 April and now have psych appointment to wait for. Its the waiting thats so frustrating!!!!!
Thanks for the concern Kate - please don't feel guilty because your op is almost here. The fact you've had so much counselling has gone in your favour - I'm really pleased for you!
Thanks for the hug zetta - nice to know we are all friends here!
Julie x

Hi debbie - i got referral and funding last July, didn't see Mr Slater till 29 April and now have psych appointment to wait for. Its the waiting thats so frustrating!!!!!
Thanks for the concern Kate - please don't feel guilty because your op is almost here. The fact you've had so much counselling has gone in your favour - I'm really pleased for you!
dear julie i really feel for you it just doesnt semm to run in any kind of order, although i was told by christine on of the secretarys that they have to group the parts of the country an share appts equally among them.the psychs there are lovely take care debbie x x:grouphugg:

ive only just started on this journey but know exactly what you mean. A girl who lives in the same part of town as me was referred for funding as 'urgent', he phoned the pct and faxed her info, they gave a 'yes' the very next day. She saw the surgeon a month later, no further appointments needed, her op was done the next week, so from GP to op a max of 5 weeks. Here I am 3 weeks after referral still waiting for PCT. I know it's only 3 weeks but how can it be 'urgent?' her bmi wasn't much higher than mine.

btw, same as you i do not begrudge anyone, it just ought to be the same for all of us

It's taken me the best part of 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So long I can't even remember how long!

and I'm still not ready for it and it's my turn on FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't help at all does it, Sorry. I'm clearly not in a postion to advise anyone on how to expedite things.

But I believe persistance pays off Good luck

Hi Jukie as Lisa says it is different around the country and there is nothing any of us can do about that I guess, but I am with CAroline I think it is good they give you the time to do your research and think about things and get your head around it, it is after all major surgery and a bit decision, and not one to be taken lightly.
I hope you get some word soon. I here in Luton, had my first appt. April, and have my second appt mid August, which seems a long time but I think it is a good breathing time to think about things.
Will keep my fingers crossed for you

Jay xx

Hi all, know exactly how you feel...my GP referred me six months ago and I haven't seen any one yet as my PCT (East Lancs) keep changing their 'pathways' and 'policies'. Am going to start complaints procedure now as I work for this PCT and know this is not how it should be for service users... Oh well if we dont stand up for ourselves who else will ??

This whole WLS process just seems so unfair hun. Its mad how some get rushed through and others wait years. THe only positive from waiting so long is that it gives you the chance to do as much research as possible. You can never know too much.

Also, seeing the Pysche is a positive thing. He will really make you think long and hard about what you are about to do. Those that have seen a Psyche say it was very worthwhile, and I think most of our successful losers have had a psyche assessment.

Keep your chin up hun... your turn will come.

It's SO frustrating! A girl who had her first appointment one week before me now has her op date and I'm still waiting for my pre-op assessment! The reason for this is that immediately after her appointment they introduced a two-month 'cooling off' period' . Just my luck!
Julie, not everyone sees the psychologist because they are just far too busy. They just want to make sure that you will be able to cope with the op. Don't despair - you'll get there in the end. We all will. Big hug xx Z xx

Ah Zeta, the systems at WM just baffle me. I guess im the girl you are talking about, and I feel really guilty that it seems I was one of the last to scrape through on the old system.

If your 2nd appt with Dr H was 27th March, I would be ringing WM to ensure my funding app had been sent off. For me, once the funding hurdle was out of the way all the stress was lifted. I do have a date, but I think thats only because I asked for a late date due to work. You may still have your op before me.

Big hugs xx

i was thining of posting same question then i saw this thread!
I saw gp in may 08 and heard nothing untill jan 09 then saw Tim John he said yes to bypass then heard nothing till May had to see anaesitist that was 10 days ago he said i was fine for surgery and still the waight goes on but people are being given dates up to end of june so wont be done untill earliest July :cry: that will be 14 months since i saw gp i think i will ring monday and try and find out:confused:

i was thining of posting same question then i saw this thread!
I saw gp in may 08 and heard nothing untill jan 09 then saw Tim John he said yes to bypass then heard nothing till May had to see anaesitist that was 10 days ago he said i was fine for surgery and still the waight goes on but people are being given dates up to end of june so wont be done untill earliest July :cry: that will be 14 months since i saw gp i think i will ring monday and try and find out:confused:
good luck with your call it gets so frustrating this wait i know how you feel x x x:wave_cry:

Back