• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why is weight loss with the band so slow?

Hi Everyone. I am a newbie, 5 weeks post op. So far I have only had one fill with very little impact so far. My surgeon and dietician have both told me that when it does start working, not to expect more than 1-2 lb weight loss a week. Whilst like a lot of people I'm sure, I want it to happen quicker than that, I also know that slow is the healthiest way to lose, but I still can't get my head round why it is so slow.

After all the portion size and quantity we are able to eat reduces dramatically and I'm told I will feel full much quicker. So if I was on any non surgical diet that had this effect surely we would expect to lose more than 1-2 lbs a week. Anyone know the answer to this?

Thank you for reading x

Hiya Princess. I don't have a medical answer for you but wanted to say that I know what you mean. I expected the weight to drop off dramatically but for me it didn't. However, I lost about 2lbs a week, sometimes 1lb and occasionally 3 or 4lb and now I'm glad it went that way.
I didn't tell anyone apart from close family that I was having the band, so if I had lost weight really fast then people might of 'talked'! Also I think it is better for you health wise and loose skin wise.
Anyway, losing 2lbs a week really begins to add up quite quickly. In the first year I had lost 4 stone which made a huge difference to my life and now four and half years later I have lost over six stone. I know this isn't what you were asking about exactly but this thread kind of struck a chord with me.
Good luck with your weightloss.

For me it was more about keeping it off rather than losing, I lost 3 stone really quickly. It's now slower but I am shrinking and my body shape is changing, measuring yourself is handy, so you can see the shrinkage that doesn't necessarily get reflected on the scales. 2lb a week is good, and that equates to six stone in 12 months, not too shabby...

Back