• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will insurance pay for surgery?

purplemel75

Hi all,

This is probably a daft question, but here goes....... I've been approved funding for bariatric surgery in Morriston hospital in Swansea but just been told that its going to be 18 months until surgery as the hospital have stopped all elective surgeries since November 2014. However they may be moving to a different hospital under a different health board which would reduce the waiting time

With a bmi of 52 I'm desperate to get this weight off and just wondering if I were to take out health insurance, would they pay for it to be done sooner? I guess I already know the answer to this, but a girl can dream surely?

weegie

Almost certainly not. Sorry to burst your dream but I guess you know why that is.

It is great news however that you have bern approved funding. That is major, maybe there are ways you can challenge the length of wait?
Good luck.

purplemel75

Hi Weegie

I kind of guessed it would be a no no but It just crossed my mind to ask. Wishful thinking on my part I guess eh!

On a brighter note I'll see the surgeon in June and I'm going to carry on with slimming world and do as much as I can before surgery to reduce the risks associated with anaesthesia during the op xx

weegie

Sounds like a good plan there. Keep focussing, moving forward.

X

siana58

Health insurance won't pay for pre-existing conditions and may not cover WLS at all. No chance of self funding? Interest rates really low at the moment, I worked out I could pay for my op over 2 years with the money I wouldn't be spending on food and wine

Butterfly_lady

I self funded but I'm impatient lol, good luck with it all and lets hope its sooner rather than later xx

weegie

My work health insurance (vitality) paid 75% I paid 25% :)
Crikey. They must have a blummin good policy. Would be hard for an individual to buy one that covered bariatrics. Our policy costs circa 3 grand a year and its excluded plus we have been with them for years.
They are paying for my diagnostics though, thank heaven.

purplemel75

Health insurance won't pay for pre-existing conditions and may not cover WLS at all. No chance of self funding? Interest rates really low at the moment, I worked out I could pay for my op over 2 years with the money I wouldn't be spending on food and wine

I really really wish I could pay for it myself but I had to leave work because of my disability so I really have no way of doing it ? x

siana58

Best of luck for the future x From what I read on here it's a waiting game with all sorts of hoops to.jump through, but most get there in the end

purplemel75

Best of luck for the future x From what I read on here it's a waiting game with all sorts of hoops to.jump through, but most get there in the end

Thank you. I've come away from the appointment with a mountain of paperwork to complete! Questionnaires on readiness for surgery, eating habits, food diaries and a HAD scale which is a sort of psychology questionnaire type thingamebob.

My main concern about the waiting is that I don't do patience, I just want to get in the operating theatre now! X

BFB

Thank you. I've come away from the appointment with a mountain of paperwork to complete! Questionnaires on readiness for surgery, eating habits, food diaries and a HAD scale which is a sort of psychology questionnaire type thingamebob.

My main concern about the waiting is that I don't do patience, I just want to get in the operating theatre now! X

Hey lovely. Just seen your thread. Very frustrating having to wait so long there's such variation in locations. Shame you can't temporarily move to Telford! It only took 7 months from referral to op. :) Whether I was just lucky cause of my high BMI I don't know!

They gave us a questionnaire which was huge and I waffled and waffled, getting all my thoughts out (cause I tend to overthink a bit). When I saw the psychological focused dietician, she complimented me on my thorough filling in of it :) She said they got a good idea of what I was about, that I'd thought of things, if I began to regain, that sort of thing and she thought I was a good candidate for surgery.

She said some people hardly fill it in or put one word answers and it's hard for them to judge what they are like. Now I don't know, but I got the impression maybe those get delayed for some reason, like if they have to see a psychologist or have to have a weight management programme. I really don't know but I left feeling glad I'd been so waffley!

Just a thought xx :)

purplemel75

Hey lovely. Just seen your thread. Very frustrating having to wait so long there's such variation in locations. Shame you can't temporarily move to Telford! It only took 7 months from referral to op. :) Whether I was just lucky cause of my high BMI I don't know!

They gave us a questionnaire which was huge and I waffled and waffled, getting all my thoughts out (cause I tend to overthink a bit). When I saw the psychological focused dietician, she complimented me on my thorough filling in of it :) She said they got a good idea of what I was about, that I'd thought of things, if I began to regain, that sort of thing and she thought I was a good candidate for surgery.

She said some people hardly fill it in or put one word answers and it's hard for them to judge what they are like. Now I don't know, but I got the impression maybe those get delayed for some reason, like if they have to see a psychologist or have to have a weight management programme. I really don't know but I left feeling glad I'd been so waffley!

Just a thought xx :)

Mine is more a case of box ticking rubbish but I suffer with depression and bipolar disorder and I'm nervous about having trouble getting through to them how much I NEED this surgery. I'm sure you understand that being so overweight has a huge impact on our mental health in all sorts of ways as well as on our physical health.

As for moving temporarily, if you have a spare room...........;)

I'm hoping they're going to be moving the bariatric service to another hospital closer to me. This was mentioned as a possibility at my appointment last week. This would be brilliant for me with being so much closer than the current location as it will fall to my 18 year old daughter to take me to and from the operation unless my sister can get time off work. She has offered but is really trying to talk me out of the bypass at the moment. Someone she works with is having a band next month and has told her about two people in her family that have died because of a bypass. Somehow this sounds a bit odd to me but hey ho. All I know is my sis is really trying to talk me into the sleeve instead. I haven't definitely decided 100% on which surgery I want, I'll make this probably after I see the surgeon in June based on his recommendation but in my heart of hearts, I think the bypass is more suited to me from all the research I've done (loads and loads).

I'm not someone who eats excessive amounts but I am an emotional eater, very impulsive and quite secretive. Oh god, I can't believe the things I admit on here, it's like the diaries I used to keep as a teenager lol. Probably why I waffle so bloody much sorry xx

BFB

Mine is more a case of box ticking rubbish but I suffer with depression and bipolar disorder and I'm nervous about having trouble getting through to them how much I NEED this surgery. I'm sure you understand that being so overweight has a huge impact on our mental health in all sorts of ways as well as on our physical health.

As for moving temporarily, if you have a spare room...........;)

I'm hoping they're going to be moving the bariatric service to another hospital closer to me. This was mentioned as a possibility at my appointment last week. This would be brilliant for me with being so much closer than the current location as it will fall to my 18 year old daughter to take me to and from the operation unless my sister can get time off work. She has offered but is really trying to talk me out of the bypass at the moment. Someone she works with is having a band next month and has told her about two people in her family that have died because of a bypass. Somehow this sounds a bit odd to me but hey ho. All I know is my sis is really trying to talk me into the sleeve instead. I haven't definitely decided 100% on which surgery I want, I'll make this probably after I see the surgeon in June based on his recommendation but in my heart of hearts, I think the bypass is more suited to me from all the research I've done (loads and loads).

I'm not someone who eats excessive amounts but I am an emotional eater, very impulsive and quite secretive. Oh god, I can't believe the things I admit on here, it's like the diaries I used to keep as a teenager lol. Probably why I waffle so bloody much sorry xx

Aww don't worry about waffling and don't apologise, let it all out. That's what the forum's here for. And it's always nice to chat to a fellow waffler!! :)

I totally understand. Being overweight affects everything. Sometimes in different ways to the next person but it always has an impact. I watched that programme tonight about fat fashion models and part of me was like yay, good for you, embrace the weight, but whether it's jealousy or lack of confidence I could never be like that. I don't want to be fat anymore. I hope they are happy but not sure if they really are. Anyway, I digress.

I'm sure they know you're serious about this. They'll know who the serious ones are. Can you make a sort of list how it affects your life, not to depress you even more :) but to collate your thoughts and feelings. Things you might forget otherwise. Then you've got evidence or a back up and can express that in a nerve wracking appointment. Hope I'm not coming across as patronising, don't mean to xx :)

Haha you'll have to fight the cat for the spare room :) :)

Fingers crossed it does get moved nearer you. So much easier all round :)

I'm sure you know this but don't let anyone, unqualified anyway, influence you on which op is right for you. You and your surgeon will come to the right decision together. It's your body, your journey and you have to live with it and all it entails. :) . People are so blimmin helpful with their opinions and horror stories!! Obviously it's out of love and concern when all you need is support. :)

Another long post.....my poor typing finger needs a rest! Night night xx :)

purplemel75

Hi hun, I don't know about a list of reasons, I could right a book lol.

I have to consider all sorts of people with the surgery as a mum but at the end of the day, they're also a big part of the reasons for having the surgery. I feel such an embarrassment at this size. I hate going outside with them, seeing their friends, can't walk very far, won't go swimming, could have a heart attack, look like a weeble........ The list goes on, and that's just considering the kids side of things lol.

Where the bariatric service is currently, they've stopped all elective surgeries since last November. If it does move, it'll be another health board so this will help to reduce the waiting list by miles xx

ladilindy

Purplemel I think we could all write that book, I avoided going out except to work, cancelled social events because I was ashamed, I wouldn't even walk my beloved dog.

I thought my daughter would not support my decision to have surgery but, when I told her, I found out that she was seriously worried that she would get a call to say I had died of a heart attack.

How ridiculous to have a bariatric service at a hospital that is not performing elective surgery, I hope it gets moved nearer to you. Fill in your questionnaires with brutal honesty, the more they know about you the better.

Lynn x

JJJ

I self funded my band but have had an nhs revision. Even pre-op & this soon post-op, the support is better on the nhs, a positive to waiting?