• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

woo hoo! got my funding finally!

Hi all, I'm sooooo happy! I've been approved by Swansea hospital for my surgery after 2 attempts and GP mistakes in the letter.

I've been told that I'll have an educational session in March then see the surgeon 4 to 6 weeks later.

I'm doing loads of research into it, Swansea only do gastric sleeve and RNY. I initially wanted the sleeve but now going to consider the RNY too so if anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'll be really grateful.

My BMI is currently about 50 as I'm doing slimming world in the meantime to give myself a head start.

I've loads of questions but will leave it at this for now or I'll be here all night lol

Anyway thanks all, it's a lovely forum xx

I have 12 weeks of group sessions...been to 4 up to now... I'm loving it because I'm making friends with the others and although at different stages we are supporting each other xx

Yes that's true, I just get anxious with lots of people but she said it's only usually 8 of us and I can bring someone with me.

I'm going to be having mine in Swansea and wondering if anyone else has any experience there. Just wondering about time frame time frame really x

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery

Hello Purplemel75
well done on getting the nod for your WLS! its a great feeling isn't it

Hello Purplemel75
well done on getting the nod for your WLS! its a great feeling isn't it

Thanks, yes it's the best news ever! 2 weeks before, I was denied funding from the panel by 1 point but it was because of an error with the referral letter from my Dr.

I spoke to the nurse and she has been amazing, so helpful. Told me to get the GP to confirm that I use a cpap machine for my sleep apnoea and previous dietetic attempts which I did the next day.

Also had an appointment with the dietitian at the hospital who is very supportive, and he sent a brilliant letter of support.

Then Wednesday I had an email from her saying not to worry and that she had resubmitted the letters and it was successful!

I couldn't stop crying with relief!

Well done I'm in the process of being accepted mine has gone to the MDT meeting. Do they go by points then do you know how many points you need and what points they give them for? X

Hi Michelle79, the criteria differs greatly according to where you live. I'm in Wales and they make it up as they go along I think lol. It goes on the Swansea DUBASCO score here and they award points for age, bmi, co-morbitities such as high blood pressure, diabetes etc.

Even though my bmi is over 50 and I have sleep apnoea, I only got 9 points and you need 10 for funding to be approved. However my GP had said that I didn't use a cpap machine for my sleep apnoea but as soon as this was corrected, I had the points I needed.

Where are you? Have a look at current NICE guidelines for obesity surgery. I think it's a bit of a postcode lottery to be honest x

Thanks, it's a huge weight (excuse the pun) off my mind. Looking forward to getting on with it now x

Hi Michelle79, the criteria differs greatly according to where you live. I'm in Wales and they make it up as they go along I think lol. It goes on the Swansea DUBASCO score here and they award points for age, bmi, co-morbitities such as high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Even though my bmi is over 50 and I have sleep apnoea, I only got 9 points and you need 10 for funding to be approved. However my GP had said that I didn't use a cpap machine for my sleep apnoea but as soon as this was corrected, I had the points I needed. Where are you? Have a look at current NICE guidelines for obesity surgery. I think it's a bit of a postcode lottery to be honest x Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery
Hi I live in essex and the hospital I go to is in London I do qualify by nice guidelines so hopefully will be fine then thanks x x x

That's good hun, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Any idea which surgery you would like? Initially I wanted to have the sleeve surgery but I am going to see what the surgeon recommends. They only offer sleeve gastrectomy and RNY in Swansea x

That's good hun, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Any idea which surgery you would like? Initially I wanted to have the sleeve surgery but I am going to see what the surgeon recommends. They only offer sleeve gastrectomy and RNY in Swansea x Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery
Thank You, you too, I'm thinking the bypass as it seems to have best results by my research they don't do bands here at my hospital either to many problems years down the line x x

Yeah, I saw somewhere the other day that bypass is better for grazers like me but I guess I'll have to wait until I see the surgeon in April x

Back