• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will it really happen?

sylviebea

Hello everyone. I'm writing to ask about your journey to weight loss surgery.
I've been really big all of my life and eventually went to see the Doc a few weeks ago to ask about surgery. The 1st doctor prescribed Zenecal which I reluctantly swallowed knowing they wouldn't work for me, (it's not physical for me as much as mental). The 2nd Doc confirmed that pills only usually work in about 10% of cases, so, that was that. He said he would refer me for surgery but that we had one last hurdle to jump through - going to see a Dietician. I'm going on the 27th Nov and I feel really apprehensive about it. Are they going to suggest I eat lettuce? Really, what's the point in seeing a dietician? I probs know more about food and nutirtion than they do - I've been obsessed with it my entire life.
anyway, I'm writing because I'm worried that after seeing the dietician the Doc will refer me for surgery but the surgeon will say NO - or the PCT will put some barriers in the way...

Do you know if this is likely to happen?
How 'easy' was the process for those of you who've gone through it?

sorry for rambling. I'm so chuffed to have found this forum and I'm making the most of it!

Fay

Hi Sbea, I`m sorry can`t help u with your questions as I had a band fitted privately but just wanted to say welcome to minis. I`m sure someone will b along very soon who will b able to answer some of your questions xxx

No two PCTs are the same I am afraid.

But my story goes like this.

I live in Surrey, I went to see my GP in the April of this year, he's a very forward thinking man and when I apprached the subject with him, his eyes lit up and said yep, we can definitely try.

He applied to the PCT and they backed the funding within 5-6 weeks. I came back from a holiday in Ireland and an engagement ring on my finger to that news, so I was on top of the world.

A little while later say, 3-4 weeks I got the letter for an appointment to see the surgeon at my choice of hospital. That was on August 4th. We spoke for about an hour and then at the end of the consultation he got his diary out and scheduled me in for October 14th.

I have tried diets and pills in the past but was not asked to try these again or go on a weight management course.

I think compared to some my journey to the surgery has been very quick. I did have a BMI of over 50, diabetes type 2, high cholestorol 7.9 and blood pressure was up. Weather this sped things up I dunno but I am very glad I had it done.

Even if I had had to wait a year for it I would have done. This journey is for life now and I am glad I have jumped the main hurdles.

I wish you lucjk in getting funding and don't ever give up. You do have to be very assertive with everyone involved.

Love and luck
Cazbandy xxxx

Hi & welcome!

I'm new to the gastric (aka bareatric) surgery scene, having just been funded by my PCT via my GP and am now on the waiting list.

My story thus far is that following plucking up the courage to ask my GP to be considered for surgery, he referred me to the 'panel' (presumably the PCT commissioning panel) where they considered my history (health & weight loss attempts - have done' em all - including Xenical, WW, Slimming World and over £3k on LL & Cambridge), weight, height, BMI (currently 49.5) & various other factors. Basically, my GP put up a good argument. He knew I'd tried hard with and without his help and was able to evidence this to the panel.

Around 4 weeks later I got a call from my GP who informed me I had been successful and that the PCT would fund it. I am only the second patient at my GP surgery to have been referred. I am going 'out of county' to a neighbouring PCT for my procedure.

I have been for my initial hospital assessment. I researched like a woman possessed for weeks before asking my GP and I haven't stopped researching since. I am told will have to see the dietician on the team for healthy eating advice and for a liver shrinking diet.

The best thing I have done by far (aside from finding the courage to ask my GP in the first place) has been to come to this forum and find the WLS 'losers'. They are an extraordinary bunch of fine people and I have a feeling I will need them as I go on my journey.

I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavours / decisions and yes, be assertive when required.

Hi Fay, welcome to mini's :)

I've had a little look on the bospa site, and the durham guidelines are -

County Durham NICE Guidelines criteria plus demonstration that medication has been used and the reasons it has not been successful, participation in a lifestyle programme (exercise and weight management), dietitian input and evidence of commitment to change diet/lifestyle and motivation.

It sounds like you're working your way through the processes to get the approval, so the dietician stage should be good as they might help you look at the changes you need to make pre and post op, and they should be used to seeing patients seeking bariatric funding.

I had to go through similar, and saw a bariatric co-ordinator who was also a dietician, and like you I thought I knew it all, but I still learnt a lot and I think it helped to make my surgery the success it has been so far. Try and go with an open mind and see it as a tool instead of just another step you have to endure.

The bospa site BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association has lots of info on regarding NHS funding and is a good place to start when looking into bariatric surgery for the first time :) Have a read of some of the bypass diaries on here, most of which cover the initial funding as well as the surgery itself, but remember like Caz said no to PCTs are the same so don't panic if you read someone has had an 18month fight to get funding, as some people have had an easy process and only taken 3months etc.

Hiya,

My journey to my surgery started a couple of years ago, my lovely doctor was keen to help me to tackle my weight issues. I've been fighting my weight since I was a teenager.

I was initially referred to an endocrinology clinic (hormone problems) where I saw a consultant who sent me for a blood test and a sleep test to check for sleep apnea. He told me that he'd recommend me for surgery. Initially I was put on Orlistat, but it was nasty stuff, I didn't lose much on that.

From that point on I went to see the surgical team a couple of times, a psychiatrist to assess my suitability and then it really was all about waiting.

I convinced myself several times that it wasn't going to happen, just because i had to wait about so much. My first date for surgery was canceled because they ran out of theatre time and I was sure it'd never happen!

You're just being asked to jump through hoops, be patient and it'll happen.

Hi Fay and welcome. You are the same weight as me. You local criteria looks much easier than mine (can I move in with you?) my advise would be to speak with the PCT and make a good case. Show them you have tried the many weight loss methods. I think you have a strong case. You can also speak with PALS who will also offer help id needed. Be strong it will be worth the wait.

Thank you all so so much. I'm reading this glowing and so pleased that you responded. It's difficult finding the 'courage' to speak to your doctor isn't it. There's so much prejudice out there, it's frightening, especially for those of us who've been over weight our entire lives and no doubt been bullied and criticised for it!!!
Thank you so much for being positive.
I hope you're all feeling healthy and happy.
Have a lovely weekend.
Fay

Hi Fay and welcome to minis. i know alot of people have had and continue to have a battle with funding but my story was quite different. i went to my GP at Xmas who made an application for funding. my funding was approved in Feb and i had the bypass at the end of May. The whole process was alot more straighforward than i expected.

Alot does appear to depend on where you live and which PCT you are under. Check out their own internet site for their NICE guidelines that will hopefully give you an idea. good luck hun x

Back