• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

It could really happen!

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
Hi, I am Rose.

Just wanted to let you know I have decided to go for a gastric band, after a million failed diets.

I went to gp last week who agreed to refer me, but didn't seem too hopeful as yet nobody that our surgery has referred has made it to the operating table.

So I have decided to pay for it, as I don't want to wait months and be turned down on the NHS.

I am going to start calling clinics in the morning, with the help of my friend
Mr Google.

As I am going at this totally naive, I would love any hints/tips, especially from anybody that's had it done in the north east.

How long is the wait when you go private? As you can imagine, now I have decided, I am gonna be impatient and want it like NOW!!

Thanks all...

Rx

Hi hun, i've had an nhs bypass so am not up on bands.There are tons of other peeps who will be along soon to help, and I don't think you'll have a very long wait if you are going private:D

Thanks! It's nice to know people do get it on the NHS. How long did you wait?

I am only going for band cos it's cheaper :)

Rx

I went through WLS Group who were amazing!
Many others on here that have also gone through this company.
From consultation to op...the process can be very quick- it depends how long they want you to stay on the pre-op diet for.
I waited 2 weeks after my consultation!
My package was £6295...includes 3 year after package, with unlimited fills (2 weeks apart) in the first year with lovely nurse Wendy.

Good Luck!! :)

Thanks! It's nice to know people do get it on the NHS. How long did you wait?

I am only going for band cos it's cheaper :)

Rx
I waited 7 months from first consultation hun x:D

Thanks, good to get a recommendation, I was just on their website.

What's the pre-op diet all about??

Rx

I went through WLS Group who were amazing!
Many others on here that have also gone through this company.
From consultation to op...the process can be very quick- it depends how long they want you to stay on the pre-op diet for.
I waited 2 weeks after my consultation!
My package was £6295...includes 3 year after package, with unlimited fills (2 weeks apart) in the first year with lovely nurse Wendy.

Good Luck!! :)

It is to shrink the Liver, in order to make the op easier for the surgeon.
Mine was a liquid diet- slimfast and yogurt mainly. I did it for 10 days, but usually only 7 days is needed. I found that it gave me thinking time to adjust to how i was going to feel about food when my band was fitted too.

Ah, I can probably manage that. I have just emailed them for a call back regarding a consultation.

I am so excited, and scared stiff!

Rx

hi rose i am also going through WLSG, i live in wallsend but im going to preston for my op and consultation to meet the staff there. Its 6195 for the op and 3yr aftercare package and they have been amazing!

If u wanna chat or any questions let me know, I booked a week ago and the op is 2wks and 3 days time!!!

XX

Hi Rose, welcome to minis. You'll find that people are very helpful. I hope you find a wl surgeon who you feel comfortable with. I have been referred on the NHS to the Spire Manchester. The whole process from seeing GP to confirmation of funding took about 2-3 months. I look forward to reading your thread.

Rebirth

I noticed it was cheaper in preston. Wonder why??

I am so excited I could burst!

I have a week off soon, I would love if I can match it up with the op, as I would rather not take time off work. Actually hoping not to tell work if I can help it!

Rx

Ooh that is really quick, you lucky thing!
Rx

Hi Rose, welcome to minis. You'll find that people are very helpful. I hope you find a wl surgeon who you feel comfortable with. I have been referred on the NHS to the Spire Manchester. The whole process from seeing GP to confirmation of funding took about 2-3 months. I look forward to reading your thread.

Rebirth

hi rose i am also going through WLSG, i live in wallsend but im going to preston for my op and consultation to meet the staff there. Its 6195 for the op and 3yr aftercare package and they have been amazing!

If u wanna chat or any questions let me know, I booked a week ago and the op is 2wks and 3 days time!!!

XX

Just re-read this and saw that you live in Wallsend but going to preston.... is it just for the cost?
I was hoping to go to Newcastle if poss, but just cos I am lazy :)

Rx

Just wanting to wish you all the best with your plans. I ended up going private for a band as well and once I met the criteria it was pretty quick in for the Operation.
Every one has different experiences according to their own biology mind set and of course which hospital does it for you. Plenty of help and support available here and it's really interesting to read up on everyone's stories as we have many things in common.

Going to preston as you can get ur aftercare in north tyneside just near the silverlink, WLSG are a fantastic company and i got the best treatment when i was enquiring but they dont have an operating hospital here but after the op u can then have all ur aftercare here xx

Hi Rose, I'm a nhs bander so can't help with the private clinic questions. There are plenty of peeps here that have gone private though so I'm sure you'll get some great advice. Good luck with your surgical weight loss journey.xx

Hi Rose,
I too went with WLSG in Preston. Its cheaper in Preston for the op because they rent the theatre so not so much outlay. I m based in the Midlands so all my pre op and consultations are done down here. Its 6195 Preston and 6995 others i believe, so was worth the travelling for me! Wendy and her team at WLSG are just great and so approachable. Any questions you have they will talk you through and there are no pressures to go with them at all. From my initial contact on June 26th I was banded 8th August...so a quick process if you want it to be! Best thing i ve ever had done...cant wait to be slim!! Good luck on your weightloss travel and keep us informed with what you do xx :D:D

Back