• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Really, really scared!!!!

Porpo

I'm going for bypass on saturday and I wondered if those who've been through it could share how they felt in the run up. Im getting so frightened, it doesnt help that various members of my family keep crying at me and wanting to discuss my odds of dying. Am getting really upset about it all now.

Any advice gratefully recieved...

Hello :)
I had a band but I was thinking, could you show them minis and all the wonderful
success stories and before and after pictures? It wont stop them worrying,
but it might help them understand why you want to have the op and the great results that can be achieved down the line?
Just a thought.
I wish id done this before my operation as family were worried about me and I think if I showed them my research it might have settled their worries a little bit.
x

My surgeon told me the odds of dying are often exaggerated by people. The truth is the odds of dying from this surgery are the same as dying from a hip replacement. You often hear of these scary stories and thats what they are scary stories. Sadly people have died but each case should be looked at in full. Maybe these people were high risk to start with? People who care about us often use these unfortunate cases as an example to try and change our minds or make themselves feel better for saying so.

Having this surgery has changed my life for the better. I can now look forward to a longer life. My health has greatly improved already. I know the future is bright. It isn't a easy decision but one that had to be taken. One consultant told me my life was at risk because of my obesity so the decision was a case of needs must.

I am sure everyone has moments of fear.

Dont worry its perfectly normal to feel nervous about it all, and even to point i was walking down to theartre i had doubts that i really wanted to go through with it, thankfully i didn't chicken out and did it and now am so glad i did !
Saturday will be here soon and by Sunday night you'll wonder what all the fuss was about !

Provided you have been through all the assessments, and do not smoke, the risk of surgery is minimal, particuarly since looking from your profile you are going to be operated on by a very eminent surgeon. Your ticker says you need to lose about 15 stone - is that right. If so, I think the risk of surgery is not as great as the risk of staying 15 stone overweight. Surgery is the very last resort and should not be considered until a person has tried all other methods, and if that person continually yo yoes with dieting and regaining, then many years can be wasted, with the toil on health, organs, joints etc. It is never too late to back out - even on the very morning of the op, if you have doubts. Although it is natural to have doubts, only you know what will happen if you do decide not to have surgery. Can you be absolutely sure you will be able to lose all that weight. You can be sure you will lose most or all of the excess weight if you have a bypass, which also incidentally may eliminate diabetes if you have it, or it will prevent you getting diabetes. Whatever happens, I wish you well.

Mr Ammori did my bypass at the Spire on 19th September.

I had my wobble on the Tuesday night before I had my consultation with him on the Wednesday afternoon. I worked myself up into a state of high anxiety however after meeting Mr Ammori anxiety disappeared. I had my surgery 3 days later on the Saturday morning.

I was completely calm and I had no doubt whatsoever that I would wake up after my surgery. I was a low to average risk patient and I knew the danger point for me was after the surgery not during it. I made sure that I knew exactly what symptoms to take notice of. They kept me in an extra night because I live alone but I would have been fine to go home the day before.

Since my surgery I have done exactly as instructed and I have been great. No problems at all. No pain I didn't have any morphine and didn't need any other pain killers, no trapped wind and just as Mr Ammori said I was perfectly fit for work two weeks later.

I prepared as well as I could before the surgery, I read everything good and bad, I lost weight and I increased my fitness. I still find it hard to believe how smoothly everything has gone.

Mr Ammori is one of the best surgeons in the world for this procedure you will be in very good hands!

Best of luck.

Hi Porpo
As SS says its very normal to feel so frightened and worried at this stage. I broke down in work two days before surgery as all i wanted to do was wake up. Walking down i was very calm but once i got there i got nervous again but Mr Ammori's team were fantastic and when i woke up i remember taking a deep breath and saying a few big silent thank you's! Its the best thing i have done and i have no regrets and i wish you as positive an expeience as i had. xx

Hi Porpo, I'm sure hardly anyone here didn't have the collywobbles prior to surgery, it's only natural. When you went in for this I'm sure you worked out the pros and cons. I know how much you have fought for this moment. As Lady in London said it is never too late to back out. I'm praying for you. I hope all goes well. You have got the best surgeon going. Sending you lots of hugs.

Remember, your family are only worried about you. Tell them they're not helping and that you would rather positive comments or none. If they're really interested direct them to the BOSPA/Minimins site. Don't forget that some of them will be frightened as to how much you will change both physically and mentally when you lose the weight.

Rebirth

Oh Porpo ! Thats all you need isn't it? I hope they stop all the drama and hold it together for you lovey because you need them to help you! You are going to be in good hands , the bariatric team are experts at what they do and they want it to be a success so rest assured you are going to be handled with utmost care! I was all over the shop before I went in but also resigned to it on the day and just had to remember I was putting myself in the hands of people who have my absolute best interests at heart and want me to live LONGER!! Good luck to you and I hope that you don't let people get to you too muchx Maybe show them some of our stories so they can be reassured? Obviously the press go nuts when things go wrong and the hundreds and thousands of procedures that go right and liberate people from all that awful killer fat , largely go unnoticed.
Lots of love and we'll be waiting to hear how you got on xxx Hugs xxx

Hi Porpo, sorry you're going through this but its a feeling we all go through just before surgery. Once you get to the hospital its a different feeling altogether. You just want to get it over and done with and start your new life. Your family won't have research the bypass like you have so they are fearing the unknown. They have probably only heard all the sad stories and this would frighten anyone let alone those who have a family member having the op. Talk to them and explain its very rare that people die through the op. Its more a case of complications after op and with some of the unlucky ones not following their surgeons advice. Big hugs to you sweetheartxxx

Thank you all so much. I dont think I would have got through all this without you guys.

Have to take the dog to my Mums this aft, he's staying there till Im well enough for him to be jumping up at me, he's a big german shepherd. Anyway hopefully no one will cry at me.

Thank you all for the support you've made me feel a bit better, will let you know how I go on.

Xxxx

Hi Porpo. First of all good luck with everything. You will be fine. In the run up to my bypass I was soooooo nervous. But now I realise thats perfectly normal. You would be mad if you werent nervous before a serious operation. But the nerves should be over taken by excitement at the start of your new life. When I watch programmes on the tele about people having the bypass and I see them walking down to surgery, I get the same sense of nerves I did when I was walking down, but I also remember the excitement I felt at knowing my life was about to change for the good. The bypass journey isnt an easy one but it is soooooo worth it. :) xxx

hi porpo
big hugs hun. i feel a bit the same. i just said to a friend wish it would hurry up as feel yuk but same time i go to bed thinking of things that might happen after. all natural and understandable. i wouldnt change a think though.xx

I know how you feel, I was the same. The last words my mum said to me when I left her house were "it's not too late to change your mind you know" Really supportive!!

But I know it was just her way of saying "I support you in everything you are doing, I am worried because it's a major operation but I know you have considered all the options and I am proud of you for being so brave".

Or at least that was my interpretation :)

Rx

Porpo - best of luck and tell your lot to wind their necks in!!!! You have every entitlement to the surgery and to go through the process without guilt trips!!

I was very blase about mine having gone under the knife sooo many times before (little bit too cocky as it goes LOL). Focus on positive stuff and give that woofer a massive hug when you get home.

Update

Thanks everyone, I really am feeling much happier tonight.

TPT- Was really sad to leave the woofer especially as he panics when he things he's being left behind but hopefully will get him back next weekend.

I'm off to do some washing so that I can pack some bits and then I'm off to try and sleep - we're setting off at 5.30am tomorrow.

Thanks you to every one on here for all the advice, help and support. I really mean it when I say I couldnt have got this far without you guys.

Will let you know how I get on, might see if my OH can update you tomorrow.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good luck Porpo x

hi you only here the bad news storys in the news but never the many good storys many people die evry day but its not newsworthy enough...i was same as you but after bypass my life has improved 110% for the better i would do it all over without batting an eyelid jeff

Back