• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will WLS really help me?

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
Hi Guys,

Ive been roaming around this forum for a few weeks now and im really considering paying private for a band. Ive already had some quotes in and all i need to do now is arrange a consultation....BUT....im battling with my sub conscious!
I have tried every diet going, even lost 5 stones on cambridge diet, but have always put it back on and more and now i have lost all motivation to loose weight, but i really need to.
My health is deteriorating at a rapid rate of knots and i do nothing apart from veg on the sofa eating 'carby' food.
I feel WLS is my last option BUT will it work?
I read on many posts here that you have to work with the band, but, ive no motivation and i already feel that i'll be the only person that it wont work for as i'll find a way to eat lots and stretch myself somehow.
I know im sounding negative, but its just plain depression and im fed up of trying to loose weight and always failing...i dont want to fail again.

Im assuming lots of people on here turned to WLS as you hit the wall like i have, how did you get your motivation back again? How hard is it really to loose the weight if you are a binge eater?

Hope you can help me.

A band does take work, i like you don't think it could've helped me... Being a binge eater with a sweet tooth is a buggar isn't it?

Is there no way you can get nhs funding?

I'm really feeling for you right now xxx

I live in wales and funding is not heard of, and if i did get funding i really dont want to wait several months to get it done as by then ill be even worse than i am now.
I see you have has a bypass....does that take a lot of work too?
I just want to be able to eat whatever i want and get full fast. Im one of these people who has to feel full and will eat and eat until i cant move.

Not a nice place to be and where I was at earlier this year. However with advice from a friend and private consult I was advised band would probably not be my answer but to go for RNY . . best decision I have ever made and well worth the financial sacrifice.

Go see a wl surgeon but go with an open mind and see what they would suggest for you. I too was a carb binge eater with a bit of a sweet tooth. Good luck xx

Im the same as Julie, there are lots of really succesful banders here and elsewhere but you do need to work with it. I knew it wouldnt suit me which is why I went for the bypass. Have you tried to get NHS funding, if you look on BOSPA website you can look for your local PCT and see what their criteria is, good luck XX

By the way with a bypass you dont get real hunger any more. I can forget to eat. Only head hunger xx

Thanks guys,

Ive read many more posts which appear to have more sucess with the bypass.
Ill check for funding but would rather get finance and get it done sooner rather than later. Ive been quoted about £10k which is a lot of money for me, but i would be willing to make the committment if i knew that this time next year i would be sat on my sofa in a much happier place than i am right now.
Thanks guys!

You sound similar to me. I am so pleased I paid and went privately . . and so fast! From decision to op I only had three weeks. Go with a good surgeon that has done a lot of these ops. I went with slimline surgical but there are loads of different companies - not sure where would be best from Wales?

I have lost 4 1/2 stone since my 21st September op and have never felt better health wise!

You are very welcome, we have all been exactly where you are now, Im only 3 months out from surgery so Im still there really lol although I have lost well over 4 stone. The bypass has been the best thing I have ever done and theres lots of people here who would agree with me. Feel free to ask any more questions to help you make a decision :D XX

Ive just been reading some diaries for bypass and my main concern is the recovery time. I work full time on night shifts and have a 3yr old boy to contend with when i get home. If i pay private i can only take maybe 2 weeks off work. Im a busy manager responsible for over 300 people so i cant afford to 'feel unwell' i have to be on top form all the time. Some people on here have had up to 7 weeks off work...there is no way i could do this as i need to accrue my holidays and if i go ahead with WLS i would want it doing asap.

Hi

First of all hun you dont say how much weight you want to lose, your BMI etc?

Secondly whichever surgery you have will be just a tool and you will have to work with it . Each will require a life long commitment to a healthy eating (and exercise if you can) regime. People with more weight to lose who opt for a bypass lose weight quicker in the first year but in the two years post op the losses are similar, statistically that is. I have found that sticking to the guidelines my journey has been a very easy and I would say succesful one - imagine that!

I chose a band as I had not so much as some weight to lose plus I was a volume eater, big, big portions. Rest assured if you have a band with good restriction you will not be able to eat lots of food. My portion sizes have decreased so much which equals a good weight loss.

There are far more bypassers on here than banders but there are succesfull banders, bypassers and people with gastric sleeves too.

My advice would be to research as much as you can, you allready have some quotes so make an appointment to speak to a surgeon, take a list of questions, be honest about your eating habbits and listen to their advice.

Ultimatley its your decision which surgery you chose, if you decide to go down the WLS route and we can only let you know our experience.

Good luck! x

Hi - me again!! Well I am someone who could have gone back to work in two or three days. Think I am an exception rather than the rule but bearing in mind I am over 50 I thought my recovery was pretty amazing. I felt absolutely fine from the moment I woke up. I had no pain relief at all (except paracetamol) and little wind pain. I felt tired for the first week but if I had a desk job rather than doing anything too physical I would have been fine.

Everyone is different - some people seem to have a lot of pain and slow recovery and there seems little rhyme or reason to who gets off lightly or otherwise. Equally there are a lot of banders who have quite a bit of pain and a slow recovery.

Personally if I were you I would see a surgeon see what they suggest, ask honest questions about recovery/work etc explaining what you do . . and take their advice.

I was careful for the six weeks after my op as instructed (not doing heavy lifting or anything that may strain me) but other than that I really just got on with life as normal from about the fourth day post op.

Good luck whatever you choose xx

Thanks everybody!

Im going to book an appointment soon and see what they advise. I may even take a trip to my GP and ask the question, if you dont ask, you dont get!

Thanks everybody!

Im going to book an appointment soon and see what they advise. I may even take a trip to my GP and ask the question, if you dont ask, you dont get!

Absolutly, got to be worth a try! good luck x

Hi tam, im not a regular poster on here, somewhat of a lurker but I read ur post and felt that I had to reply!! I am 2 weeks post op (band) and have had to save/loans etc in order to pay for a band privately. Even tho I am at the early stages I can say that this is going to be the best decision I ever made!

When reading Ur post I completely related to ur current lifestyle, that was me 6 weeks ago! A huge bag of crisps, dips and a takeaway most nights whilst sat on the sofa watching rubbish tv!! But sudden realisation hit when I went on the scales and topped 19 stones, I am so worried that I could still go back to that routine but in the last 4 weeks I have managed to loose 1 stone 11 pounds and that has been the big motivation for me, I can see slight changes to my face shape and tummy and I'm so excited that I could turn this around after spending all my life fat!

If like me u think that u want to be thinner and healthier more than anything in the world then I would say go for it girl, there's only one person that can make u happy with your weight :)

Luce xx

Hi tam and welcome to the forum.

You have been given some good advise, good luck in chosing the right wls for you.

I just wanted to say that it was lovely to read such a honest account of the situation you are in at the moment.

Get posting lovey and you will soon be able to use the site more xxx

Hi and welcome, firstly I would advise you to post as many times as possible to get your post count up. Once you hit 50 more forums will open up allowing you access to peoples diaries, then you can read up on the different experiences.

My stats are very similar to Lucys, I'm almost 2 weeks post op and lost 2st on the pre-op diet. I also went private and only had 6 weeks from my first app to the op. I would make an app to see your surgeon, be honest about your eating habits and see what they advise.

Good luck on your journey, I hope to see you on here, the memebers are a great bunch xx

tam, i am from s wales and there is funding!! but a wait over around a year from start to finish.. depending on PCT of course. if u r on facebook add me Michele roberts king.. a fellow taff is more than welcome to be my support along the road!!!

Hello Tam I read your post this morning and i felt like it could have been a message from myself. I have an appointment on 6th Jan to see a consultant and you dont know how many times I have gone to cancel then left it. I am exactly like you I comfort eat and sometimes feel I am eating all day long!!! Firstly I have researched the sleeve and feel if any this would be my best option and I have been told this removes part of your stomach that causes hunger. That said I dont know if I ever feel hungry any way all my hunger is phycological and how can sugery fix this. I have been toying with the idea of trying to find a really good hypnotist and seeing if he or she can reprogramme my thoughts around eating??
I like you feel this is my year to sort this out as each year I am getting bigger and bigger. People I haven't seen in ages 2nd look me and I know exactly what they are thinking. I am thinking about surgery every waking moment and it has actually took over my life some what. I sit down to eat and I think how would I cope now if I couldn't eat this (in the begining weeks) or only a very small portion. Also I couldn't drink with my food which I cant imagine. I suppose you would get used to it but then I have read news posts on here saying a large percentage of wl patients turn their compulsion onto something else, such as drink or shopping etc.
Another thing is I have a 2yr old almost 3 and 8 yr old and a big part of our life is food. I do want to educate them to eat right but also I dont want to be poorly and not be able to look after them while recovring.
Sorry know I am rambling but think my brain is just working over time!!!
Oh and my husband isn't supportive of my idea to have surgery and thinks it s the easy way out. I should just cut calories and exercise!!!!
Would love to talk more to you Tam on your decision. Not sure how you private message on here or if you can???
Take care
Danielle

I am exactly like you I comfort eat and sometimes feel I am eating all day long!!! Firstly I have researched the sleeve and feel if any this would be my best option and I have been told this removes part of your stomach that causes hunger. That said I dont know if I ever feel hungry any way all my hunger is phycological and how can sugery fix this. I have been toying with the idea of trying to find a really good hypnotist and seeing if he or she can reprogramme my thoughts around eating??
I like you feel this is my year to sort this out as each year I am getting bigger and bigger. People I haven't seen in ages 2nd look me and I know exactly what they are thinking. I am thinking about surgery every waking moment and it has actually took over my life some what. I sit down to eat and I think how would I cope now if I couldn't eat this (in the begining weeks) or only a very small portion. Also I couldn't drink with my food which I cant imagine. I suppose you would get used to it but then I have read news posts on here saying a large percentage of wl patients turn their compulsion onto something else, such as drink or shopping etc.

Oh and my husband isn't supportive of my idea to have surgery and thinks it s the easy way out. I should just cut calories and exercise!!!!

i can so relate!

Ive opted to have the sleeve, after months of research (and reading on here of course!) i felt it was the right op for me.

Good luck with your decision x

Back