• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

timeframe?

Jengen

I have been dieting on and off since I was 14 - im 30 now!
I have been to doctors yesterday and told him I want to be considered for WLS!
He has sent through a referral to weight loss clinic -
I am just wondering how long you had to wait after this happened for you before you got wls?
Did you have to try more things with weight loss clinic?

Thanks

Jen

Welcome Jen:welcome2:

I am sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Good to see you posting as I saw your post on MiniMins.

Hello jengen
wanted to say hello and welcome to a great site, I cant help you with your question but like mini said someone will come along very soon
in the meantime good luck with everything!

Happy you got it sorted:)

As a newbie sometimes our automatic spam filter is a bit aggressive and posts can go into moderation...I will keep an eye out and approve your posts as I see your last post was automatically moderated.

Hi Jengen,

I was referred by my GP in 2013.

I had my fist appointment at Guys in November 2013 I underwent all the pre op testing and attended every meeting. Do NOT miss one appointment or you will be put off the programme.

In July 2014 I was informed that my BMI was under 50 and therefore they could not put me forward until I had completed 12-18 months of supervised weight loss programme. I set up with my GP weekly weigh in and they have allowed me to reapply now. If your BMI is over then its 6-12 months before you move on.
-
They had a meeting about my case on 17/11 and I now have an appointment with the surgical department Jan 15th.

The nhs have a guidelines policy document that I found on google;
Tier 3 weight management intervention which might be useful.

Good luck and do not give up. and don't miss any appointments, if you cannot get there you must phone and tell them.

This is going to be a long process, stay strong.

Thanks for your reply!
Its such a long process :(
I am hoping I get my first appointment asap so can get the ball rolling!

Hi and welcome Jengen I can't offer much in the way of advice for you as I'm in Scotland but want to wish you all the best for the future :) x

Hi... I got referred by my GP in July this year, first appointment was a seminar on the 8th sept where I was set a weight loss target of 6kg to lose by my next appt, and I have my second appointment in 8th December ... I was told that as long as I lost my target weight loss all being well I would be looking at Jan for surgery. My BMI was 53, so I didn't have to do any type of weight management programme, I also have pcos and type 2 diabetes. I'm at James Cook in Middlesborough x

In mid yorks still have to do weight management even at 54 bmi :(
GP referred me 1 oct last year and my bypass is 10 Dec. good luck x

Hi, you proabably will have to go through a 'tier 3 complex obesity' service first. Its part of the NHS England criteria for being considered (I was first referred in August '13 and am coming up for surgery at the end of this month). I think the thing to think about is that its a journey and to use that time to learn as much about yourself and how you eat and to get mentally prepared (as well as physically prepared). 18 mths ago, I'm not sure that I was really prepared psychologically, even though I'd been thinking about WLS for a number of years. If I'd had surgery very quickly on the back of the referral, I think I might have really struggled with the lifestyle adjustments that we have to make. So, if you do have to wait, don't get down about it and try and see it as an opportunity (and you might even loose some weight too ;). Hope that helps!

Thank you all for your replies! I just want my referral letter and my first apt so I know my next steps x

I'm still waiting on my referal letter! ?
I have been thinking that if I have to wait 2 years for op then I will look at getting a loan to pay it?
I just want my first app so I know likely hood etc x

Hi Jengen. I was referred a few weeks ago but I've still not received my appointment. I rang our local referral team who gave me the first appointment date of February 2nd so it seems to be a couple of months between referral and appointment here.

Hi Jenjen,

I was referred by my doctor last September 23rd 2013 and had my first appointment December 23rd 2013. I've been attending my weight loss clinic at the hospital for the past 12 months. In November 20tg I saw the hospital doctor who said yes to putting me on to the next stage, now I'm awaiting my MDT meeting which is where I'll start my fluid diet and have bloods etc. then I guess I'll see the surgeon after that. So it's about 16/17 months all together but that's estimated as everyone's experience is different xx

HI Jengen,

I posted earlier on this thread. I have now met my surgeon and am on the waiting list officially.

I am hoping to be sleeved in May !! woop woop

Good luck !!

Back