• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

willpower vs. believe

lamb_reader

[FONT=&quot]This week I met up with my dietician and she told me something that really hit home with me and I wanted to share. She asked me if I knew why a vegetarian doesn't eat meat. I told her that a vegetarian has stopped eating meat at some point. She replied that vegetarians don't eat meat because they believe it to be wrong and they identify as a vegetarian. Willpower has nothing do with it at some point. It is who they are and they experience the world as a vegetarian. And that's the place I have to get to when it comes to healthy, clean eating. Willpower only gets you so far and I have to move on from willpower sustaining me to believing that eating processed, fatty, sugary and salty foods is wrong. I need to identify as a healthy and fit person and that's what I'm still struggling with. But I can feel my mindset changing. One day at a time. :D[/FONT]

Very insightful

I don't agree with what she said... Willpower has a LOT to do with it, I know plenty of vegetarians who found it quite easy to stick to their principles until they got the smell of freshly cooked bacon in their noses and then all bets were off...!

Personally, I'd use a smoker/non-smoker analogy instead, but then I found it easier to give up smoking than I would to give up meat. :D

I don't eat meat and haven't for 27 years, bacon is not tempting at all and no will power was required to give meat up for me!

So yes I can totally relate to that analogy, I hope it works for you!

Conveyed analogy. I agree, willpower might have something to do with it in the beginning, but later on it should become a belief. Love it, thanks for sharing.

I don't agree with what has been said but for this part
[FONT="]to believing that eating processed, fatty, sugary and salty foods is wrong.[/FONT]

I think it is about finding a balance, a healthy balance with the foods we eat, not continuing to have a "good" or "bad" relationship with certain food items. That balance before my band was incredibly hard to find, but I have it now more often than not, but it isn't about seeing something as wrong because I know that if I did and see it as "bad" I then have to deal with guilt feelings if I eat it and that IMHO is not healthy.

Back