• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oh for crying out loud - Updated with surgeon's and dietician's responses

slimmerkay

Why can't medical personnel agree with each other. I'm fed up of finding out different clinics/hospitals have given out different advice on the same subjects.

I emailed my dietician last week to explain I seemed to be able to eat a lot and asked had a stretched my pouch. I got a reply today (she was on leave) and in the email she put this:

I don’t think you have stretched your pouch but I would aim to ensure that the largest portion of your meal is vegetables as they contain the least calories. Then protein (meat, minced meat) then if you have any room left eat the carbohydrates.

What happened to eat your protein first?

Last edited:
good grief! I'm only allowed 2 portions of veg a day, but have to get 6 of protein. It sounds like your dietician's bumped her noggin!

Charis I'm sick of the aftercare provided by the Spire :(

She also included for me a healthy eating chart, a food diary and a nutritional guide. Why wasn't I given these previously? What's the point of waiting till a patient contacts you with problems before issuing them?

The healthy eating chart is C**P anyway. There is not enough variety on it and the portion sizes on there are way more than I can manage, and I thought I was having too large portions :eek:

And it says on there "no limit" on sugar free jelly. SF Jelly has no nutritional value whatsoever is what she told me at my pre-op :rolleyes:

I'm sick and tired of the whole flaming thing.

You can't do right for doing wrong.

I've just decided I'm going to eat what I want and what I can without being stupid and pigging out on bad stuff. If I lose more - great! If I don't - fine!

you're more likely just stalling a bit. You certainly haven't finished losing your weight yet. The dietician's advice doesn't seem to be geared towards a bypass? Has she got you mixed up with someone just trying to lose weight the old-fashioned way? xxxx

ive always been told, protien then veg then carbs lol

xx

I'm going to email Mr Ammori himself.

I'm going to be telling him a few home truths about the aftercare provided by the Spire too :(

My consultant and dietician both said protein first (because that is what we need and what we should find fills us up easily) - then veg and then carbs. My team dont recommend protein drinks either - they say eating the protein element of the diet is the hard work that fills you up!! Protein drinks just slip down . . .

OK, email sent. I also asked him what his thoughts are on the Fastab - do I take them for life as he originally said, or stop after so many months as my GP thinks and a lot of others have been told?

Well there was a reply from Mr Ammori waiting for me this morning. Copied it here:

Dear Karen

It's way too early for stretching the pouch; dint worry.

With regard to diet, I'd suggest you follow Jennie's advice. She's been doing this for sometime and is very experienced.

I recommend the lansoprazole for two years after surgery as I indicated on my discharge letter to the GP that you shoild've received copy of. I copied this email to Louisa, my secretary, so that you could ask her for a copy of the letter if you haven't received one.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Mr Ammori

My - it's amazing how involving the surgeon can get you responses from others.

Jennie (the dietician) emailed me again just now.

Hi Karen Basil sent me your email regarding protein. Your right that we generally recommend having protein first however for individuals who feel there portion size may be increasing I always recommend stocking up on vegetables with a meal as they will make you feel full but do not have the same amount of calories as protein or carbohydrates.

What I am trying to say is that if you feel hungry at a meal bulk out on vegetables rather than anything else.

Eh? So I wont get any protein most of the time? :eek:

:)Well done Karen-its a shame you have to make a fuss to get a response-
do you think Louisa will be responding soon to your query about the £7 charge for B12 injection???-you bet my f*t ar$e she will lol
Thanks for all your efforts Karen - we need answers to the questions you are asking-I shall be asking my GP to give me the B12 injections rather than give the spire more money

My - it's amazing how involving the surgeon can get you responses from others.

Jennie (the dietician) emailed me again just now.

Hi Karen Basil sent me your email regarding protein. Your right that we generally recommend having protein first however for individuals who feel there portion size may be increasing I always recommend stocking up on vegetables with a meal as they will make you feel full but do not have the same amount of calories as protein or carbohydrates.

What I am trying to say is that if you feel hungry at a meal bulk out on vegetables rather than anything else.

Eh? So I wont get any protein most of the time? :eek:

I can sort of see where your dietician's thinking is with the veg first. If you're feeling hungry, then to eat a portion of veg, but make sure you've got room for protein as well, would seem to make sense?
It wouldn't work for me as I'm never hungry and struggle to eat enough...but I can see if you are feelng hungry, that might work.

Thing is I am always ravenous come meal time but then can't manage all that much. Well, not enough to have lots of veg and then expect to get protein in too.

You wont need them as fastabs but im on lanzoperzole for life.

My diet sheet is here if you want a look,dunno if it will help at all.
http://www.imperialweightcentre.co.uk/pdf/Post Operative Diet Bypass.pdf

This is a really good document, I never had any of this information pre operatively. I have got post op info but not as detailed as this and 'dumping' was not explained at all.
I have saved this, thank you for posting.
Will still be sticking to the recomendations from my surgeon (god knows why its all different nationally) but the dietry information is good.

regards

Back