• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wls and diabetes

Sunshine100

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share…
I have been for my initial seminar and was just wondering if diabetes causes problems in the run up to and after surgery?
I will ask for personal advice and guidance at my next appointment but would really appreciate hearing your experiences wether they are positive or not :)

As far as I know they just adjust your medication from pre op diet onwards & monitor to make sure your doses are right, mine was borderline so diet controlled, no insulin etc & I had no problems before during or after op so far :)

Hi GeMzy,
Thanks for replying. Its good to hear you have had no problems. I am type 2 but have problems with it in general. I am on quite a hefty amount of medication which I am hoping will reduce after surgery, I'm just a bit worried about the before and during surgery stage. x

mine was metformin controlled stayed on until op day and not been back on it since hospital stopped it and been for my 3 monthly check at gps they happy with it infact its lowest its ever been since diagnosis

I'm still on insulin (of a night time),metformin and sitagliptin ....... plus other meds for other ailments

Hi Princess and joffy, it sounds like it is different for each of us and Im just going to have to be patient…..something I'm not great at. Practice makes perfect I guess :)

Im only 7 weeks post op it could well change that I have to go back to metformin but im hoping not for a long time fingers crossed

fingers crossed for you Princess x

I was type 2 Metformin controlled - no meds since op day! Diabetic nurse totally thrilled with tests etc which ive had since, and, although Im not on meds, we're all still labelled as diabetic. I didnt really understand why, but Im sure she did explain why, I just forgot!

Widder it's because diabetes is incurable so even though we no longer medicate the diabetes is still there and it could be that we will need medication again in the future thats what they told me anyways

Back