• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Samkisses

Hola!

I was wondering if there was anyone out there with Diabetes hoping to get WLS on the NHS, or who has already had the surgery? Does having this condition make any difference to waiting times?

I'm diabetic myself, have high blood pressure and suspected sleep apnoea. It's not made much of a difference to be honest, but was curious if it does in other parts of the country.

Let me know your experiences :)

xx

Hi Samkisses

I'm type 2 diabetic and got the go-ahead for wls on the nhs but went private (in Belgium) in the end as the waiting list length meant the surgery would have been around the same time as my eldest son's wedding. The diabetes made it easier to get accepted I think but made no difference to waiting times at all.

Having said all that, my GP is now pretty sure (waiting for a blood test) that the diabetes is gone as my blood sugar when I've tested it has been stable and low without taking any medication. She just wants to wait a few months before doing an official test.

Hi Samkisses. I too have diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnoea. These co-morbidities, together with my high starting BMI, meant I was referred straight to the surgery (Tier 4) pathway rather than having to go through a period on a Tier 3 programme. So it should have made things a bit quicker, but the sleep apnoea was diagnosed during the process and this led to a delay of several months while I had a proper sleep assessment and then had to be established on the CPAP machine before the surgeon would operate. I was referred in December 2014 and had my NHS bypass op in September 2015. I'm not sure if diabetes will make any difference to waiting times, but it may mean it's more likely that you are seen as a suitable candidate for surgery (the NICE guidelines have recently changed to promote weight loss surgery where diabetes is present). Good luck, Potter x

I don't know if diabetes makes any difference as I went private - but I came out of hospital no longer diabetic so it's definitely worth it! :) Good luck on your weight loss journey. x

I don't know if diabetes makes any difference as I went private - but I came out of hospital no longer diabetic so it's definitely worth it! :) Good luck on your weight loss journey. x

Hi Ohtobeslinky. Thanks for getting back to me! What surgery did you have? I'm really battling between Bypass and sleeve. Leaning towards sleeve as it seems less invasive and weight comes off a little slower so possibly less excess skin, but also thinking bypass because there's a higher percentage of people who's diabetes goes into remission... I may have my facts completely mixed up here but please advise.

Thanks! xx

I have had the sleeve - I knew it was for me when they said it would get rid of the diabetes very quickly. As I only had diabetes as a co-morbidity, and due to my age, the consultant suggested sleeve would be better for me than bypass - but that's up to you. x

Back