• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Woman died in brighton anyone know anything about it please??

alison1979

Hi has anyone got any info on this woman who leisa said had died in brighton a few weeks/months ago, what did she die from and it was 6 months after surgery intrested to know what went wrong
Thanks x

From reading that it seems she had chronic malabsorption :( I guess in the other thread, that is one of the things that I think is my worries. However, these cases are so rare. We all go in knowing the mortality statistics. We just have to do all the research and make the best choice for us :)

I think if this poor lady had had the post-op support that we all get from this forum, she wouldn't have been 'allowed' to lose so much weight so quickly, without medical intervention.

It is however, all conjecture at this point, and I don't think this isolated and tragic case should play a large part in your decision as to whether bariatric surgery is right for an individual.

Chronic malabsorption is manageable so long as you follow the right medical advice. I'm living proof of that! For it to have such a severe effect so early on she most likely had adhesions etc aswell. Most people with just chronic malabsorption don't even find out until 8-12 months post op.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Chronic malabsorption is manageable so long as you follow the right medical advice. I'm living proof of that! For it to have such a severe effect so early on she most likely had adhesions etc aswell. Most people with just chronic malabsorption don't even find out until 8-12 months post op.

ive been waiting for you shel :) xxx

Caren said:
ive been waiting for you shel :) xxx

The last person that said that was wearing knuckle dusters!

shelbell said:

Thank you for that :)

I thought after the Surgery the risk decreased but reading this I wonder how and when.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Shell i am guessing for your post you have had chronic malabsorption? how did you over come this? x

alison1979 said:
Shell i am guessing for your post you have had chronic malabsorption? how did you over come this? x

I have it now for life. I have to eat a high fat high calorie diet, aiming for 3500-4000 cals per day. I basically graze all day and drink with meals, topping up with prescription drinks. I have to be very vigilant with vitamins and minerals, and am checked regularly. Right now I'm on extra treatment for vitamin d deficiency.

It took me about 2 years to get it cracked (from when I reached my goal) and stop losing weight. During that time I was up and down like a yoyo. Well, mostly down! I've managed to maintain now without too much difficulty for 4/5 months. I lose half a stone or so if I get a cold or similar, or when I'm in hospital (for other health problems), but given a couple of months I can regain that.

There's no cure, it's just about finding a balance and being monitored.

I have it now for life. I have to eat a high fat high calorie diet, aiming for 3500-4000 cals per day. I basically graze all day and drink with meals, topping up with prescription drinks. I have to be very vigilant with vitamins and minerals, and am checked regularly. Right now I'm on extra treatment for vitamin d deficiency.

It took me about 2 years to get it cracked (from when I reached my goal) and stop losing weight. During that time I was up and down like a yoyo. Well, mostly down! I've managed to maintain now without too much difficulty for 4/5 months. I lose half a stone or so if I get a cold or similar, or when I'm in hospital (for other health problems), but given a couple of months I can regain that.

There's no cure, it's just about finding a balance and being monitored.

Just wanted to say how glad I am that you are coping with all your problems so well, Shel :) Can I just ask, how do you maintain that amount of calories? Will your pouch have stretched to allow it or do you still have restriction? Whichever, I am so impressed by your whole attitude :):) xx

TwinkleTwinkle said:
Just wanted to say how glad I am that you are coping with all your problems so well, Shel :) Can I just ask, how do you maintain that amount of calories? Will your pouch have stretched to allow it or do you still have restriction? Whichever, I am so impressed by your whole attitude :):) xx

No stretching so far, my pouch is still tiny! My very good friend Nic has had a bypass too about 4 months after me and she can eat twice as much volume as me. I eat slider foods, lots of squishy carbs, and avoid dry lean protein. I have 4-6 meals per day and snack constantly too on crisps, sweets, chocolate etc (eating within my dumping limits). Drinking with meals increases the volume I can eat too. Then it's just about choices, if I have coffee it's with milk not water, nothing is low fat, salads are swapped for chips, if it doesn't move I put cheese on it etc. My only real worry is the long term effects of such a high fat diet but my cholesterol, lipid profile and liver function are monitored and still very normal. I don't see the bariatric team anymore as the NHS here only cover 2 years aftercare, but my GP is brilliant and if need be he can get instant funding for me to go back to the surgeon.

It's amazing Shell. Thank you for sharing your story :) xxx

This woman was older,had medical problems and might not of addressed the malabsorbtion properly.Its soooo easy to forget to eat post op!

Big an Bouncy said:
This woman was older,had medical problems and might not of addressed the malabsorbtion properly.Its soooo easy to forget to eat post op!

I can see exactly what you are saying :)

I have it now for life. I have to eat a high fat high calorie diet, aiming for 3500-4000 cals per day. I basically graze all day and drink with meals, topping up with prescription drinks.

Hi Shelbell. That sounds like the total opposite of what most of us going for bariatric surgery are told to expect to be able to eat post surgery. :eek:

So even though you now consume between 3,500 - 4,000 cals per day you don't put weight back on, due to the chronic malabsorption that you suffer ...?

Sharonimo said:
Hi Shelbell. That sounds like the total opposite of what most of us going for bariatric surgery are told to expect to be able to eat post surgery. :eek:

So even though you now consume between 3,500 - 4,000 cals per day you don't put weight back on, due to the chronic malabsorption that you suffer ...?

Yup, I absorb very little of what I eat. When you research the bypass you read that the absorption rate post op is 30-70% of what you eat, and of course most people end up somewhere in the middle. But there will always be some people at each end of the extreme.

Also, in most patients the intestine adapts over time and so absorption increases, dumping decreases, and the intestine works pretty much as it did pre-op. Hence the golden period of weight loss during the first 6-12 months. For me this hasn't happened, and I've been advised that it most likely never will now, as I'm 3.5 years post op.

So I eat this way purely to maintain weight, any less and I start shrinking again very quickly.

Back