• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any one know anything about B12 levels?

Sharie65

At 6 weeks my B12 level was 291pg/ml. I've researched that the normal range is 200-900pg/ml. When I spoke to my GP she said that my B12 levels were fine and I didn't need injections but the blood test was taken a fortnight ago and seems close to the minimum level to me. Wouldn't it have gone down further by now? Is she right? Do I not need B12 injections then? The hospital told me I would need them every 3 months for life. Who is right??????

Not sure if this will help, but my dietician advised that taking sub-lingual or liquid B12 once per week to begin with would help with those levels -rising to daily once the pouch is healing and I am eating mushies.

I have a Solgar liquid B12 (also contains folic acid and biotin) which I have started. The dietician advises that taking the liquid on a regular basis should avoid the need for the injections, but they will double check with bloodwork.

Maybe you can link back with your dietician to check ?

Wow, I don't get my B12 levels checked at all, I just have a repeat prescription for three monthly injections.

I call up a week before and they book me in. Just like I have Forceval, iron, calcium and lanzaprazole on repeat prescription too.

My GP would only prescribe B12 injections when I became deficient. He said they are worthless if your levels are ok. I became deficient at 6 months post op and my level was 88. At 3 months post op they were 399! So can drop quite fast. I now have them every 3 months and I have my bloods checked at the same time as I am very deficient in a lot of things!

If you can, just do as I do and have them checked every 3 months ;) x

Oh and I have a friend who is 11 years post op bypass and has never been deficient in anything! Her last B12 was 219 and it has been like that since her op :) So just cos you are on the lowish side of normal does not mean you WILL become deficient x

My provider is also in the 'every 3 months' category, as far as I know I don't have the levels checked and if they have I don't know the results.

What I do know is that I notice a difference to wards the end of the 12 weeks re: tiredness.

My hospital don't give routine B12 injections, only if you are deficient. They won't give you an injection if your levels are within the normal range even if they are bang on the bottom figure. I take sublingual B12 daily and my levels were in the 700s! For all sorts of reasons it is harder to absorb B12 the normal way after surgery. So liquid/spray is the way to go. They seem to be ridiculously high dosages but don't worry, if you take excess, your body will just excrete the surplus x

Everywhere is different im afraid. I was told I wouldnt routinly get b12 jabs buti would get blood checked at 6 months post op as only 1in3 go on to malabsorb vitamins & minerals. In December, 3months post op, I began feeling really run down and asked my gp to test ahead of my teams schedule. I was very low in cacium, vit D and my b12 was sitting at 130. I get regular jabs now but am finding i get to 7 weeks and can feel the 'slide' So far i have been allowed a top up but in other areas they are strict on every 3 months :(
I donot know what my levels are now because in my area they cannot retest 6months before the last test :sigh:

Back