• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wondering

I am 18 weeks post op. I was wondering what everyone else at my stage was eating or if you are past my stage what you ate and how much etc please? Thanks :(

At 10 weeks onwards, I've been eating much the same as I am today (just over 6 months out). White and oily Fish, chicken, small amounts of beef, lambs liver, venison - probably most of what I was eating pre-op, which I've always felt I was somewhat fortunate compared to what some other sleevers have written here.

The only difference is at 10/13 weeks I was not eating any stodgy carbs at all (bread/potatoes/pasta/rice) and now I have them, every now and then, but in v.small amounts as I've been sticking to the "rule" of protean, then salad/veg then carbs when eating.

Portion size, I'd say for a main meal i'm use a side plate of food (less than 20cm in diameter) now and at 18 weeks. If eating out - at 18 weeks I was eating around a 3rd on what was on the plate - now around half.

Thanks for replying. I still can't eat solids really. Been living on baby food and big soup. An occasional omellette too. I keep being sick and fainting so wondered what others had experienced.

That doesn't sound right. I was eating very little but most things except bread and other white carbs. Oh broccoli and cucumber didn't go down well for almost a year. I would go back to your provider and make a fuss!

When you say you can't eat them what do you mean exactly? I had a hard time on solids and was sick a lot but I persisted and it got better.

If I eat anything solid after the 2nd mouthful it hurts. I feel every bit of it in my stomach and it hurts and then it comes back. I have been told to drink 3 litres a day but if I drink to much I throw up. I have tried with my provider but they say it's a time thing. They have booked me a barium on the NHS for 8/3. I am now doubting myself thinking it's in my head. It's really getting me down now

3 litres? That's a lot. I don't think it's in your head at all, you know what you feel. I presume you chew 20 times, wait between mouthfuls and use a teaspoon etc?

If so you may need to be stretched by endoscopy as sometimes the sleeve can twist or get a lot of scar tissue. You are doing the right thing getting it looked at. I'm not sure a barium swallow will show that up though.

Thanks everyone. I just cooked my daughter sausage mash and beans. I thought I can go for the mash and beans. Tried to small bits of sausage, well chewed and bam in agony. Just don't know if this is normal or not. Now trying not to be sick.

I can't eat sausages! It's the skin that gets me.

It it is painful I would bring it up.

Try something like fish to start with, you'll only need a tiny bit.

Can't eat fish it really makes me sick. I can eat beef would you believe and that is about it. Steve the sleeve prefers minced beef. Just threw the lot up. Yogurt time in a bit then lol

Actually thinking about it I didn't get on with fish either at the beginning. Mince is good, maybe try minced chicken/turkey?

I had pate on ryvitas coz I could manage crunchy better than soft :) also crunchy peanut butter on dry toast I let go cold so it's not soggy x I hope that helps and I made homemade rice pudding , hope you feel better soon x

I can relate to the sickly feeling girls...i'm 9 weeks post op and i am on weetabix and baby food.. can only tolerate egg custard with rice lol, altho the funny thing is my stomach can tolerate 2 crackers with sum low fat soft cheese, cant manage much else as it just churns around until i have to throw it back out....which scares me to not try different foods just in case it feels heavy n chest feels tight....having problems drinking too much fluid too.....i'm sure i will be ok in time but for now just taking each meal time as it comes lol....have u heard that saying 'time is a healer?' I think thats the case with us guys, we just have to give it time! Unless things are really concerning you :) xx

..... As I made my way back to solids I found the boil-in-bag frozen fish portions in sauce pretty handy, eventually I managed to consume those with an Aunt Bessie's pre-cooked mashed potato disk. Great convenience (Microwave), but not great cuisine - like others have said eating becomes mechanical rather than enjoyable.

Still find bread a chore - but try a small tortilla with your soup; works better for me.

I have to be careful as I'm dairy allergic but, I have to confess the boil in the bag fish with a tiny bit of mash is lush!! Shouldnt eat it because of the dairy but... yum lol

My goodness ladies, I feel for you. I am 6 weeks post op this coming Thursday and started on solids just over a week ago and I havent yet found any of the softer foods with which I have problems. I'm just having a small portion of most of the food I'm cooking fresh (as always) for my family......caseroles, stews, spag bols (just bol, no spag yet!), cottage pie, fish pie, roast dinner etc sticking to the more protein than anything else rule and very small amounts of course. I can also manage a cracker with soft cheese etc but haven't braved anything like toast. I can also have normal porridge and rice pudding made with flaked rice too. What I cannot tolerate though is plain old water would you believe!? It makes my tummy gurgle and contract and actually hurt sometimes. With a bit of sugar free squash in it, I can just about manage but warm drinks are the only liquid I'm happy with. I hope that in time, everything settles down for you guys as it can't be much fun for you at the moment.

Just cooked some soft pasta and chicken and its about to say hello again :eek:(

It seems so long ago I was where you are but still don't manage bread very easily had a tiny piece of naan with 2 chicken drumsticks and a spoon of rice for my tea and that's 15 months after op , I can manage stews etc better but always try to pick the stewing steak out first for protein before I get filled up on the rest x keep doing what you're doing and you'll not regret it xx

7 weeks post op and so far so good :) no sickness, no reflux, no pains.
I think I may be lucky and be able to tolerate most foods, just small portions.

My fear was not being able to eat spicy foods so put that to the test!

Had a couple of tablespoons of chicken dhansak, a tablespoon of sag paneer and one small bombay potatoe. No problems at all. Was not brave enough to try rice but I think I am going to try a crab and spinach risotto tomorrow. If that goes down ok I will attempt pasta. Bread is not even on the horizon for now :)

Trying to drink 2/3litres of liquid is hard :(

Back