• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work after a sleeve

curlystacey

I think I've seen a thread like this before but was wondering how long people had off work after a sleeve ?
I am a duty manager of co-op so my work is very physical pulling in delivery/putting out heavy stock ect I'm thinking 2 wks is this realistic ??? Xx

No I would say not and you certainly dont want to be doing any lifting for several weeks. You need to heal.
I had three weeks off work then I went back for three weeks on restricted duties, which was basically in the office.
Even as you feel better, you will be drained of energy due to the low calories, you will be healing inside and the main thing is you dont do yourself any injury.
Even if you go back after two weeks please dont do any lifting or pulling.

Thank you for your reply just wanted to give my boss a time scale think 2 wks is pushing it I soppose I will just have to play it day by day and see how I feel.
I've got to keep telling myself that u can't just go back to normal duties after a big op. And that he will have to get other people in to do deliverys.

I've booked a month off. My job is sitting and listening to other people and I need to be as recovered as possible to concentrate ;) The only other abdominal surgery I've had was c-sections and based on that you definitely do not want to be lifting heavy stuff for a while after surgery. You're healing inside and it takes a while, it's be terrible if you pulled something and hurt yourself. It sounds like you're used to just getting on with it but you're right, keep telling yourself you will need to take it slowly as you recover and don't let work push you into do anything before you're ready.

This is a big deal, life changing we are told so you deserve taking the time you need x

Have you told your staff about your op ? If so then they might be ok to help you out with heavy loads .. If they don't know then I would take another week .
. I only had a band and my job involves lifting and I was sore when I returned to work after 2 weeks so I think yours will take a little while longer
Xxxx

Yeah all my staff know that im having the op done so I know they will help ,but I know wot I'm like I don't like people doing things for me would rather do it myself.
Have decided to take 4 wks off and go from there.

I think that sounds like a sensible plan.... mostly because that's what I'm doing too ;)

I plan to take 2 weeks off, but I do an office job. However I do a sole role, so if I'm not here then no one does my job! Fingers crossed I do only need 2 weeks!

I'm taking two weeks off. At pre-Med yesterday they said 2-4 weeks. Mine is largely desk based but I run a team and I have lots to do. I will do work from home in the second week as I have a deadline for the week I return. Needs must but I'll be sitting and gentle walking largely so it'll work out (fingers crossed).

Fingers crossed guys that it works out for you. I'm on my feet all my shift and on the go with a 15/20 cage delivery to work so I know I will need longer then 2 wks.
2 wks until my pre-op ☺

I'm in my 5th week off and have one more I'm so glad I didn't have to go back to work as one of my wounds still open. I think it should be guided by how you really feel and what your team says and how understanding your job is . I've spoken to boss who after explaining what s gone on with me she is more than happy to keep my in the office for a couple of weeks after I go back . I am so lucky to be the position I'm in, one one hand I'm dying to go back to work and on the other I'm still so exhausted lol :D:D:D

Back