• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worried About Hair Loss

Karen19745

I'm worried about hair loss, I have really long hair right down to my waist and it is my best asset so I'm really dreading losing it so I've booked myself in to the hairdressers tomorrow to get a spiral perm, I thought that way it might not be as noticeable. Even though I have only just got GHD's off my boyfriend. But I suppose it will straighten when I want it to (I hope).

Only thing is I don't know if perms are that "in" at the moment and I don't want to look older than I am.

I know I'm probably being really silly but it's just how I feel.:cry:

Karen x

Hi Hun I'm not aware of anyone who didn't have some hair loss however i'm not aware of anyone who lost all their hair, Its more that your parting becomes wider.
What i'm trying to say is It will happen but it wont be as bad as you think it will xx

i havent noticed any actual hair loss but when i wash it it does feel thinner but not sure if im just imagining it.

a total image change you go for it xxxx

ive got really thick hair so its a blessing really - i am going to see if my hairdresser makes a comment bout it next week when i'm there. i have only noticed it in the last few weeks so i hope it doesnt get any worse.

Hi Karen, your hair needs protein so that is THE most important thing to keep up before and after your op. No matter what else you do - keep up your protein intake!
Protein shakes are a good option when you don't or can't eat. Try Myprotein who do sample satchets of their Impact Whey Protein before you commit yourself to a huge bag. I found the choc ones horrible but the fruit, vanilla and plain ones really good. Molkeprotein | Sportlernahrung | Ergänzungen | Bodybuildingergänzungen | Proteinergänzungen - Myprotein (Deutschland))

Solvazinc is recommended by a lot of sugeons but not prescribed. It is available online and it is recommended you take 3 a day but I only took 1 or 2 a day.

Biotin and Silica Complex are great for hair, nails and general recovery and are highly recommended on US forums - I take 1, sometimes 2 a day and they are available from Puritan's Pride UK site:
Discount Vitamins & Herbal Supplements from Puritan's Pride Puritan United Kingdom
I've seen similar products in Holland & Barret but havn't tried them.

I also use Kerastase Specifique shampoo: Kérastase Spécifique: for specific scalp and hair concerns

I had a few weeks of really wierd fuzzy hair at about 3 or 4 months but apart from that, my hair has been fine and there's been no noticable loss.

Remember that what is happening to your hair at the present time is a result of what your body was going through months ago (thats why a lot of hair-loss happens at 4-6 months post-op) so keep your protein and supplements levels high now and through the early post-op stages.

Best of luck with your op. :) Biggy x

This is something that really bothers me too as my hair is incredibly thin to start with. Think I'll definitely take up some of biggy's suggestions and may even start doing so now to see if my current hair condition improves!

H x

It depends at which growth stage your hair is at when you have surgery,Its pre follical,coming through,short then at four inches is mature hair.something like that.Anyway it comes back after about 6 months.Dont think there are any bald weightloss ladies on here!

I can't remember my hair thinning at all after the op and I think that was one of the things my hairdresser was most looking forward to lol as My hair takes her a good couple of hours to cut and restyle!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Well I got a perm, not sure if I like it but she said I can straighten it with GHD's after 2 weeks, but I think it just needs to drop then it won't be that bad. Thanks everyone for your support, I will start taking some vitamins for hair anyway cos my hair is thin to start with and both my aunties that have had the bypass, their hair loss was really noticeable you could see their scalps through their hair and I don't want mine to look like that, even though theirs has all grown back now. Karen x

It doesnt happen to everyone, i lost hardly any and the people that it does happen to usually say it's not noticeable to others xxx

Back