• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worried I will get rejected for surgery

Cat57

I have just been referred to Homerton hospital by my Gp I have received a appointment for the 19th dec, I did have a double app in march next yr but early one has been brought forward, I so want this op like all of you that are going through for it, but so worried i wont be accepted for surgery.. my BMI is 53.4 i have high blood pressure, i dont have diabetes, have had both hips replaced 1 last year and 1 earlier this year, as I was housebound, and now i can't get the benefit as my weight still makes it difficult to walk very far, cant kneel down or sit on floor, even a lower sofa.... all the other normal difficulties with being obese, going for walks playing with grandchildren, holidays +++ we all know the down side of being morbidly obese... But is this going to be enough to get the surgery, do many get turned down... i guess quite a few... that's the end then isn't it, i couldn't afford private....

countrywench

Morning Cat
I cannot help with this , I'm sorry ..
I can say I could not even get an appointment for surgery , couldn't get past the doctor .. so had to pay privately .. never regretted it ..
I wish you all the luck in the world ..
xxxxx

Hannah2

Your BMI should be sufficient for surgery, however you will have to satisfy certain conditions with the dietician, certain amount of weight loss & psychologist (usually). You will need to show that you have done research on what to expect after surgery and that you are able to cope both practically with the rules of eating post op and mentally without being able to rely on food for comfort/support.

These steps are important to prepare - surgery isn't a magic wand that is an isolated event resulting in weight loss - there is a lot to deal with after surgery and you don't want to go through it unprepared.

starryeyed

Hey my surgery was at homerton! You have two co morbidities and a bmi of over 50 - as long as you're truthful to them with what your diet is now and they can see how much you want the surgery/are committed to their advise then you will be approved. My bmi was 60 and I had no co morbs.

Turps

I agree with @starryeyed if you're truthful you should get approved. I was with a different NHS provider, but despite having no co morbidities my bmi was so high I was approved anyway. Just had to show a lot of commitment to change beforehand.

Cat57

Morning Cat
I cannot help with this , I'm sorry ..
I can say I could not even get an appointment for surgery , couldn't get past the doctor .. so had to pay privately .. never regretted it ..
I wish you all the luck in the world ..
xxxxx
thank you for the kind words... I wonder why some doctors wont put u forward if your in the bracket..? rather unfair you have had to pay private for it, but at least you have had it done now, and doing so well, good luck on the rest of your journey xx

Cat57

Your BMI should be sufficient for surgery, however you will have to satisfy certain conditions with the dietician, certain amount of weight loss & psychologist (usually). You will need to show that you have done research on what to expect after surgery and that you are able to cope both practically with the rules of eating post op and mentally without being able to rely on food for comfort/support.

These steps are important to prepare - surgery isn't a magic wand that is an isolated event resulting in weight loss - there is a lot to deal with after surgery and you don't want to go through it unprepared.
thank you for the advice, I am reading and searching up as much as i can about having this done and the way it will affect me after the operation, I know it's no magic wand, but it is that help that you need when you have a long way to go and have tried every avenue..I have had a weight problem all of my life and would be forever grateful to get this chance once and for all to be slim (or slimmer) even if its in my older years..xx

Cat57

Hey my surgery was at homerton! You have two co morbidities and a bmi of over 50 - as long as you're truthful to them with what your diet is now and they can see how much you want the surgery/are committed to their advise then you will be approved. My bmi was 60 and I had no co morbs.

Casey123

I agree with @starryeyed if you're truthful you should get approved. I was with a different NHS provider, but despite having no co morbidities my bmi was so high I was approved anyway. Just had to show a lot of commitment to change beforehand.

Can I ask how long your whole process from beginning to end of surgery took? :)

Cat57

I haven't had surgery yet... I have been told I have been accepted for bariatric surgery ( i was told on 1st december this year) and that the wait for the op is 6-8 weeks.... i haven't had a letter confirming this or any dates for anything yet, i keep phoning but always saying there is nobody to take your call at the moment and to leave a message, i have done this a few times but nobody returns the call, so i will just keep on phoning, as its now 3 weeks into the 8weeks that I was told (well 6-8 wks) would be the wait, and no contact at all... :(

Laaux

I haven't had surgery yet... I have been told I have been accepted for bariatric surgery ( i was told on 1st december this year) and that the wait for the op is 6-8 weeks.... i haven't had a letter confirming this or any dates for anything yet, i keep phoning but always saying there is nobody to take your call at the moment and to leave a message, i have done this a few times but nobody returns the call, so i will just keep on phoning, as its now 3 weeks into the 8weeks that I was told (well 6-8 wks) would be the wait, and no contact at all... :(

It will most likely come through at short notice. I got my first date within 3 weeks and it was for 3 weeks later. Try not to worry, it will come x