• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Would You Go Abroad By Yourself

GuRlyGiRL

Live Laugh Love
Morning Everyone,

Just wondered if you would go or have gone abroad by yourself for your op. Its a saving of £2000 ?? I am confussed as what to do :confused:

There was a item on this morning this week about people who had gone abroad for the op. When they had problems they had been left in the lurch.

Personally I wouldnt try and save money to have this op, even if you really have to stretch yourself, you would be worth it.

Thats just my opinion. I basically took out a 2nd mortgage for mine (the money I had to pay off the mortgage in retirement I used for the op) and it was well worth the money. I honestly believe that in 2/3 years I would of recouped all of this on the food bill.:)

Good luck in whatever you do though. xxx

Thanks Ladylite for your advice, its true about saving money with the food bill :) Could I ask what company you went through?

Congratulations on your weightloss, you have done so well xxx

i was lucky enough to get funding for my bypass, but ifi had had to fund it myself, there is no way i would have gone abroad, 1. cos i cant stand the thought of flying, im petrified of the idea. 2. cos i think in some c ases, by the time you work out the travelling costs,other expenses etc, you probably woudnt save that much. 3. its hard enough just being driven home from a hospital so soon after surgery, yet alone, flying and all the other travelling, and stress that it involves. 4. maybe its just me, but we have so many fantastic doctors over here, where at least if anything were to go wrong, or you feel poorly, your on home ground, and youve also got the nhs, in an emergency. like i said, i was very lucky to get funding, so i didnt actually have to consider looking around, but i know that my surgeon, mr ammori, is soooo well thought of, ppl are fighting to get their ops done by him.
sorry for waffling, but you did ask, lol. big hugs, and good luck with whatever you decide huni. xxxx

My first band was done in Belgian through a UK company. It was placed in the wrong place and the aftercare nurse mismanaged me. It had to be redone so I ended up spending about £4000 more than if I had had it done in the UK in the first place. There are some good deals at home if you shop around.

eeeeek im not telling you what to do but my own personal opinion is that i would rather spend the extra 2000 and stay in the uk, you read so many horror stories etc and then if something was to go wrong god forbid and needed nhs help they dont like it hey..... its just my thoughts tho, i wish you well in what you choose to do xxx

Hi everyone,

Enclore sorry to hear about your experience. To be honest I was looking at a UK company that operates abroad but im not sure anymore. The more I think about it the more I want to have my op closer to home now. Now its just deciding which company to go with decisions, decisions !!

I have a friend who had a band done by a UK company abroad, and he has also had problems.

His band has slipped the company dont want to know unless he is willing to pay them to do the procedure again. He is also having problems trying to get it sorted on the NHS.

He regrets having the thing and wished now he had had the bypass but in England.

I went abroad alone on the 12th of this month with Cosmetic Bliss.
I would say it was a good thing for me, but it is different in different circumstances. I feel proud of myslef for doing it because normally i dont even like to leave the house on my own!!
I did it, i'm proud i did it and, if i had to i would probably do it again.

Cosmetic Bliss include all flights, hotel stay and transfers in the price they quote you (£6490 for a sleeve) plus if anything goes wrong while you are there they will not hesitate to take you back to theatre, and they do so many pre-op tests and tests post op to make sure everything is safe. I feel i picked well, but i did a lot of research. So all that i had to pay 'extra' was the meal on the Sunday night in the hotel when i got there.

:) xxxxxxxx

Im a scaredy cat so I wouldnt lol... I think for some people it can be a good thing but I couldnt do it. Good luck making your decision though you must do whats best for you :D X

Thanks everyone for your advice, my head is spinning with so much decisions to make. Im not sure about going abroad anymore, I know I will save £2000, but who knows in the long run. I was thinking of going with the hosptial group or wls group ??

Haha Jacqui, I love your little woman dancing :)

If I hadnt of had mine done on nhs I wouldnt of been able to ave wls but if I had of had the funds I would have definately stayed in the UK, an operation can go wrong no matter wot country u have it done in and wot ever the costs its all down to trusting the provider that is doing ur op in the first place.Even tho I was Nhs I researched My surgeon, and found he had awards in his technique etc and I asked him all about the awards when I saw him, I even told him I had googled him to see what I could find out about him and he told me that if ur nhs or private its a good idea to find out what u can to put ur mind at rest and more importantly trusting him. I think too be fair if I hadnt of trusted him I wouldnt have let him do my op at all, I would have rather have stayed a larger laydee then going through an op with someone I didnt trust, Thankfully it all panned out ( even with having to go in for another op (albiet minor) on this coming Monday. Good luck in wot ever decision u make hun.

All the best 2 u - Juliexx

encore, so if they make a mistake, and you have to go back into theatre, YOU have to pay more, surely if they dont do what you actually paid for, then its down to them to put it right, with no further money taken from you. thats disgusting, apart from the fact that they did it wrong in the first place.

Thanks Julie for your advice. I know I wouldnt feel happy going abroad by myself and leaving my OH and two little ones at home and feeling vunerable in a foreign country. But everyone keeps saying that I will be "SAVING £2000". Deep down I know I want to have my op here in the UK.

All the best wishes for your op on Monday xxx

Thanks Julie for your advice. I know I wouldnt feel happy going abroad by myself and leaving my OH and two little ones at home and feeling vunerable in a foreign country. But everyone keeps saying that I will be "SAVING £2000". Deep down I know I want to have my op here in the UK.

Tbh Hun I dont think I would worry about the extra 2 grand hun its ur health that matters, dont gamble on ya health for the sake of two grand. If u know deep down ya want the op in the uk follow ya heart and not ya wallet ..(so to speak)

Ty for ur well wishes for Monday xx

It is a hard question and one that I did consider.

I met a lady who had her surgery abroad. It went very well for her.

I had been recommended for surgery in the UK by my local consultant but sadly the PCT wouldn't fund me. I fought them for 2 years. I had a very very good case for funding but no way were they giving in. Finally I found my way to Charing cross and I had my surgery on the NHS last year. I still don't know how my funding was over come and I didn't ask! I was just very grateful. I am now happy and healthy.

It is easy to sit back and say .. on no never.. but everyone has different needs. I did book my surgery abroad but I chickened out... the spooky thing was a short time after I was accepted by Charing cross. At the time that I booked to go to Belgium I was making a 50% saving. I heavily researched the hospital and the surgeon. When I cancelled the surgery the consultant contacted me and advised me to have this surgery some how as my health was so poor due to my weight and causing me great danger. I used this to help my case.

I couldn't advise anyone what they should do but I just wanted to share my experience. We don't all have the funds or the means to get funds. Money is very hard to come by for some people. I know some people may tut at me but I know 11 thousand for a by-pass is out of reach for some of us. There is much more to consider than the cost. The risks! Belgium is NOT a backward country. They have a very healthy attitude towards this type of surgery and the many benefits.

Bad news travels fast and I could tell you many other problems that I have witness myself here in the UK. As for me I know I was LUCKY!!!!!!!

My advise is do your home work and looks at it from every angle and do whats best for you.

I wish funding would be made available at a fair and equal rate to everyone in the UK!!!!

P.S.
If you fit the N.I.C.E criteria then ask your GP to refer you to Charing cross hospital. They have helped a number of people that I have pointed them there.

i am also 99% certain that ill be going with cosmetic bliss. Yes they are much cheaper, but i tell you one thing, i cannot find 1 bad review!! (and trust me, ive looked). Dr Cierny, who is the surgeon at Cosmetic Bliss, has excellent reviews. They carry out extensive pre-op tests and you remain in hosptial for 4 full days to be monitored (dont know many hospitals in the uk who offer that).

Ive spoken to many people who've had their surgery with Cosmetic Bliss, and all have given good reviews. One lady was a nurse working for the NHS but couldnt afford it so she went to Czech. She said she couldnt have asked for better facilities.

Cosmetic Bliss also have good feedback when it comes to their aftercare. Always an email/phonecall away with quick response time.

Just because its cheap, doesnt mean its crap either folks :p

Whoever you go with, you need to research the surgeon, the faciltiies and the after care :)

I had to go privately for my surgery and i stayed in the UK and to be honest i never considered going abroad as i had my mind made up on the surgeon i wanted and felt safe with. Deets i agree its so important to do as much research as you can and ultimately you have to do what feels right for you. Good luck xx

Back