• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why go abroad for surgery

lindsaymel

Hi
I am considering a gastric band. I wondered if anyone had any experience of 'why go abroad for surgery' Cost is an issue for me and they are quoting £5K for the procedure which is the best price I have found
Many thanks

:confused:

it will be cheaper for the op, but the aftercare can work out expensive, so you have to look whats best for you in the long run

Thanks so much for your help. If I do decide to go with WGA how do I arrange my fills? I've read good things about WLS but can't seem to find it when I google it!
Thanks again
x

As mentioned it's important to consider aftercare. Many private UK surgeons have negotiated free aftercare for bariatric procedures with the NHS. (eg altering band pressure, managing diet etc.) You may get the surgery cheaper abroad but when you find out your band is too loose who is going to tighten it? Or if it slips or causes you pain who is going to remove it?

The NHS may be an option depending on your PCT.

Best wishes ... Fizz

good point fizz

Hi Lindsaymel,
Why go abroad is the cheapest I could find for the gastric band procedure in the uk. I had my band with them in september at Dolan park. It cost £4950. There are many many places that do stand alone aftercare packages for approx £650-700 for a year, covering band fills, support, dietician etc. I paid £650 for a package with BMI and this will cover a maximum of 5 band adjustments in the first year and bariatric nurse support when and if i need it. I have so far had two fills and have not had any problems.
Hope this helps.
Amanda

Back