• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Year and a half out....

jaxx

...and I still struggle with my relationship with food. I'm having to be strict with myself now as old habits crept back. For the past 6 months I've been hovering around the 15 stone mark and not losing much. I realise now that even though I've had a bypass I still need to control my mental urges. Ok I don't get the raging hunger like I used to but I can still put a fair amount of food away during the course of a day.

I was so pleased when I realised I could make sugar free biscuits just because I could have a little treat. I limited myself to just 4 biscuits a day but that soon crept up and I found myself getting stressed if I didn't have any. After 6 months of stalling I realised I had to do something. So I stopped making biscuits, stopped relying on carbs for snacks and upped my exercise. I've been complacent and thought the weight would continue to fall off like it did just after my surgery.

I now go to the gym 3 times a week for 30 minute workouts and I now walk part way into work for 30 minutes 3 days a week and after one week I'm already seeing results. I now take fruit into work for snacks (I have a boring job and used food to keep me occupied), adjusted my portion size further and am trying to drink more fluids.

I think what I'm trying to say by telling you all this that the struggle to lose weight will continue after surgery and I knew I had to make changes but I never realised how much work it would still take. Having the bypass makes that work a bit easier than before surgery but it can still be a struggle especially in times of stress. Another consideration is the lose skin I now have. I think I didn't want to lose much more weight as it already looks horrible and if I lost more weight it would look worse. But My health is still at stake so the last few stone have to go and I will have to learn to live with what I've done to my body.

I don't want to put any pre-opers off but just to let you know that although the physical aspect of overeating is taken care off with the bypass, that is just the beginning. The bypass is a tool to help you lose weight but you still have to make the right choices for it to work. I knew that going in but I didn't realise how much of a struggle it would still be. I used to get suicidal when I tried to diet before my surgery. Now my bypass makes making the right choices easier but you still have to make the right choices.

Ramble over with lol.

Last edited:
Jaxx, first off CONGRATULATIONS you have lost an incredible amount of weight and must feel so much better for it. Also all credit to you for going to the gym and realising how easy it would be to just give in and go back to old ways and doing something about it. I salute you. I think it does us all good pre op and post op to remember that the bypass is not the complete answer and that it is a tool to be used wisely.

Sue xxx

Thank you for that post. As a pre-opper it really does help to hear everyone else's experiences.

Thank you for sharing yours xx

Thanks for sharing that with us and well done on your determination to get yourself back on track.
The choices you are making are fabulous. Walking some of the way to work, the gym etc. Eating healthy snacks instead of biscuits.
A massive well done to you. I think it is always going to be hard work for all of us. There are some lovely times ahead also though, it isnt all hard work, hopefully lol.
Lynne x

Wow Jaxx, I could have written that myself.
I am at exactly the same point as you...weight staying the same and me not putting anywhere near enough effort in.
Every day I tell myself that today is the day to get a grip but find myself munching almost continuously throughout the day...
You have given me the inspiration to start afresh so thank you xxx

Thanks for your post, it makes me realise, as a pre-opper that not everything will be solved after surgery.

Effort will still have to be made on my part.

Well done on your journey so far and good luck with your new found resolve:D

Well done on the loss you have achieved hun, must be hard, keep positive and we are all here for you hun xxx

thanks for sharing. at just 5 weeks out i'm already aware of how hard this is going to be. I've struggled so much this week with PMT and food cravings and couldn't resist the digestive biscuits. I wish I could tell the local shop to ban me from buying any rubbish. I know head hunger is going to be a big issue for me forever.

Thanks for that Jaxx,as others have said all I was going to I will just say, be complacent at your own peril,to newbies.Its an ongoing job!Maz x

Many thanks to everyone's comments. I just wanted to get out my thoughts on to some sort of medium and I thought it would be a good idea to show pre-oppers and newly bypassed members that the struggle does go on even so long after surgery.

Thank you for sharing this :)
The long haul is difficult, isn't it, and the issues change quite a lot. It's good to read about other people who are a little way down the line too.

Great thread and very useful for us pre-opers! Certainly brings home the fact this surgery is just a tool. I will work hard to get the best out of my surgery but when I hit a bad patch I will remember this thread and know I'm not alone.

You're spot on Jaxx - even when you get to goal the daily struggle is still there not to eat rubbish and put on weight. Its going to be a long term change of lifestyle for me if I don't want to undo all the hard work and cracking the head part is the hardest bit. What I have realised is that I tend to reward myself with food and treats should be occasional and not an everyday thing - changing a habit of a lifetime is very hard but worth the effort! Well done on your superb weightloss and just keep doing what you've been doing recently.

Thank you for sharing this. It is very helpful and honest of you. I too, am a year and a half out and I havent really lost any weight in the last six months although I now have a personal trainer and go to the gym regularly. My food choices could still be better on some days but for me there is a lot of mental stuff going on and the loose skin and relationships is one. I see my loose skin as a progress of my weight loss and it doesnt bother me when I just think about me but when I consider my relationship/future relationship I worry about what they will think and how bad my skin will get and the truth is it is causing a mental block in going forward to the point that I think I am better off not being in a relationship right now. I did this surgery for me and my health.

It sounds like you are getting back on track and well done for that, it is not easy but the alternative of staying the weight we are or even gaining again is a much harder road to go down. Good luck with your new regime and let us know how it is going.

I just had a major argument with myself in Marks and Spencer's food aisles. I went in for a banana (I'm at work today so I'm very bored), but I strolled into the snacks aisle. There was a special offer on the prawn crackers, buy one, get one free. I actually picked up two bags and wandered around arguing with myself about them. I eventually put them back and just bought the banana but it was a very close thing and very hard to do. The stupid thing was I was really hungry as it was lunch time and I really should have eaten before going into M & S so that my hunger won't take control and buy stuff I really shouldn't eat. I would have sat at work and eaten both bags over the course of the day and made myself feel dreadful for giving in.

hey there, you DIDN'T buy them though did you?

well done, remember to give yourself credit and don't be so hard on yourself

I just had a major argument with myself in Marks and Spencer's food aisles. I went in for a banana (I'm at work today so I'm very bored), but I strolled into the snacks aisle. There was a special offer on the prawn crackers, buy one, get one free. I actually picked up two bags and wandered around arguing with myself about them. I eventually put them back and just bought the banana but it was a very close thing and very hard to do. The stupid thing was I was really hungry as it was lunch time and I really should have eaten before going into M & S so that my hunger won't take control and buy stuff I really shouldn't eat. I would have sat at work and eaten both bags over the course of the day and made myself feel dreadful for giving in.

:wave_cry:Hi Jaxx,
Love your honesty-
-we all have a tough journey ahead-
so pleased that you are still supporting the forum
Juliexxx

Back