• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Zinc supplements

minxie

Does everyone take zinc supplements? I have to take 3 Solvazinc tablets each day and really struggle with them - not sure why I hate them as I manage everything else without a problem!

Does anyone take a zinc tablet that can just be swallowed? I think I need to ask my GP to change my prescription if possible. Not even sure of the benefits of taking them so any info would be welcome and might convince me to make more effort with remembering to take them!;)

MInxie,

How do you take your zinc? I take mine in about 30ml of water, I can drink it down in one go.

There is a reason we take soluble zinc and not tablets, Becuase a bypass works not only by us eating less becuase we now have a small stomach pouch but remember part of our bowle has been bypassed. This is the malabsorption bit. I think zinc is mainly absorbed in the bowel hence we need to take a lot more of it becuase we cannot absorb it via our new food intake.

Zinc is really important so you need to take it, I am not sure if a tablet would have the same power as the soluble zinc 3 x daily.

I tke mine and I know its working becuase my nails are really long and hard. lol

I hope you find a solution to your problem but I would try and persevere.

I must admit though I hate taking the liquid iron and cannot wait till 12 weeks post op to move onto a tablet.

Wendy

Last edited:
Thanks Wendy. I usually mix them with about 30mls of water but hate the taste! I had developed an aversion to all my meds just post-op as they all tasted so strong lol.

However today I tried mixing the zinc with orange squash and it tastes much better:) It's all a bit difficult planning my meds at the moment as I'm also on antibiotics which can't be taken at the same time, or close to, iron and zinc!

I keep telling myself that Mr E-H is a brilliant surgeon who knows what he is doing and if he says I need something then I do!!

By the way I am now taking iron tablets - had my op through WLS and the nutritionist said that once I was on solid food there was no reason not to - and it makes a huge difference, one tablet instead of rusty old nails lol ;)

i would be care full mixing with citrus drinks as this could affect the medicine i know it does with grapefruit

I was told by my surgeon that taking zinc would help to prevent hair loss following bypass surgery :)

I doubt mixing it with orange squash would be detrimental, Minxie if hats the only way you can take it then I would carry on and maybe ask the pharmacist next time you fill your prescription.

Wendy x

Thanks everyone, the squash will def encourage me to take it.

Re the juice thing - grapefruit juice is a bit peculiar and shouldn't be taken with lots of meds. Orange juice is good to take with iron as it aids absorption. Squash prob has no effect on anything as it is mostly water lol;)

not been told yet. It's a bit awkward as my dietitian is at one hospital, and not seeing her until 20th Dec, and my op is at a different hospital and they have no dietitian! I am being "done" in 6 sleeps.

Back