• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help about taking my Zinc please.

tesmaralda

Ok today I have been prescribed Zinc and Selenium for my hair loss. I am some what confused (yes I know it doesn't take a lot to confuse me just lately). It says take it 1-3 times a day after food, here in lie the problem. If I take it after food how does that fit in with the not drinking after food rule? Is waiting 15 mins after eating still classed as with food lol? I have looked back on previous posts but cant find anything about taking them with or with out food :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tes I know what you mean, but when you think about it all food has water content, so if you take it with a small amount of liquid - enough to swallow I don't think it will make any difference. I sometimes have a sip of drink with food if I feel a bit of a restriction and it does help. x x

Ok today I have been prescribed Zinc and Selenium for my hair loss. I am some what confused (yes I know it doesn't take a lot to confuse me just lately). It says take it 1-3 times a day after food, here in lie the problem. If I take it after food how does that fit in with the not drinking after food rule? Is waiting 15 mins after eating still classed as with food lol? I have looked back on previous posts but cant find anything about taking them with or with out food :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

how about slipping the old tablet in as you take a mouthful of food, after all it all goes down the same way?? then you can have youe drinks later with no worries

I took mine before I ate but I have to confess I have stopped taking them, I actually gave mine away. I figured if I am not bothered enough to take them then why should I? They were given to me to help with hairloss but I couldn't really care less, less hair to dry, lol.

HTH,
Nic:eek:

i seem to quote my surgeon alot, i hope it doesn't hack too many people off, sorry if it does, but here goes ....

HAIR LOSS

A small proportion of patients (about 1 in 20) note some hairloss. this is reversable and usually due to dietary defficiency. If it does occur, ensure you are taking your iron, increase your protein intake and add a zinc supplement and a vitamin B complex. You can buy these over the counter but the zinc dose may not be high enough. You should aim for 200mg of zinc per day which you may find easier to obtain on prescription. There is also some evidence that Kelp, (a seaweed extract that can be bought from health food shops) which is rich in iodine helps although this must not be taken if you are using thyroid tablets.

Although this still does not fully answer the ''getting the pill down'' i hope there's some useful info there for you and everyone else ;)

I think you should take them 15 minutes after your meal. Why? Because your food is still in your stomach and these tablets are given to digest with food, i think this is so they slow release into your system. I once typed a report on medication for a nurse at work lol...

Best bet is to ask your pharmacist, am sure they will know for definite.

Hope you sort it soon x

Tes i take mine about half an hour after eating and disolve it in about an inch of water

Thanks Carole I did take it about half an hour after and did it in about half an inch of water. It so wasn't what I was expecting lol

Thanks to everyone else for your comments too. XxxxX

Glad you got yourself sorted Terri - soon you'll be like Rapunzel!!!!

Back