• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

About to become revisioner!

Hi Chrissy
I have been through a difficult couple of years with reflux problems after a private band in 2010 which they kept telling me weren't band related I was under a GI department who insisted on an endoscopy although I kept asking for an X-ray eventually thanks to a very helpful GP I got referred to an nhs bariatric team who have been brill unfortunately due to the length of time the problem had been left unfilling didn't solve the problem and I had to have another op to reposition but touch wood I haven't got reflux anymore I would have liked to revise to the sleeve but wouldn't have got funding with my current bmi so decided to give my band another chance as like you I did very we'll with it at first try and explore all possibilities good luck x

Interesting. I have only been looked st by the breathing clinic. Chest xrays That I have had, I dont think anyone is looking at my band. The only sign I have of reflux is the chronic cough. No night time problems but I sound like someone on 60 a day. It is only now after a year of investigation and a lot of tests repeated that reflux has been mentioned. I get short of breath as well now, not helped by the extra weight I have regained plus all my old issues have come back. I am not sure if there is a reason my band can no longer be fine tuned, maybe I will find out after my revision.
i looked back at another forum where I was active before and saw a lot of people who had bands around the time I did have since been revised. We all made the best choice for us at the time based on available research. Things happen and we have to move on sometimes. It is a great tool when it works though, no doubt about that I lost 9 stone working with it. Sad that it stopped playing its part.

Wish you better luck with yours. I Really do believe they are a great aid.

Thank you Chrissy
Good luck to you too if my band fails for a second time I hope it won't! I will be joining you down the private route for some kind of revision surgery xx

Hi skinimum

It's really helpful to find out I am not alone in needing a revision. Have been a bit tearful these last few days as I think reading the forums has stirred up a lot of stuff I need to deal with. I do feel let down by the NHS, they have wasted a lot of time and money ignoring the fact I have a band, is it really because I had to go private. i am sure someone thought this was the right protocol to follow but it has left me miserable and piling on weight. Its only in the last few weeks they thought putting me on a PPI might help.
My band may have slipped but no one has checked. Anyway I guess all will be revealed when its removed during my MGB op.
Great to know you feel so much better after the bypass.
Thank you

Chrissy x

While it works for some the amount of complications with the band suggest it should be abandoned in favour of the gastric sleeve and bypass.

This may well be the direction things are going. When I decided on a band it was after a year of research started in 2006 and op was in 2007. I think I made the best decision for me based on the available info at the time. I had waited over 2 years to get onto the weight management service with my local NHS, had a bmi well over 40, asthma, contant joint pain and was facing a major op on my bladder. Not a word. Nada. So I decided to go private.
Things move on and more data becomes available so what looked right then might not now.
Also, I do not feel I failed, rather my band failed me. In the interim it gave me so much. Perhaps in my case I should have thrown the towel in earlier, maybe have been pushier on the likely cause of my coughing and other issues, who knows.
I am just praying now that the damage done is minimal because that is what is giving me sleepless nights. Not the op itself but what Dr Chris will find once he gets in there. I think its crazy that my GP has been treating me for this for well over a year and no matter how many times I pointed to my band it was ignored. Maybe if a bariatric surgeon had had a chance to look at my xrays...

Ah so many maybes. If wishes were fishes no-one would starve. :)

Last edited:
I nave a question for those revised from a band and who had the coughing from reflux, did it stop after your bypass ?

Thanks

I had my band out a couple of years ago due to severe reflux and coughing stopped as soon as I had it out. I have had no problems since my bypass xx

I had my band out a couple of years ago due to severe reflux and coughing stopped as soon as I had it out. I have had no problems since my bypass xx

Thanks for your reply Alison. It has gotten so bad I can't imagine coping with it right after surgery. I can get some relief but by fasting and even then only partial.

I was in exactly the same situation last year. Although I was in worse health all I got was painkillers from my GP. I wanted the problem solved not increased doses of morphine.

I nave a question for those revised from a band and who had the coughing from reflux, did it stop after your bypass ? Thanks

Yes. After the bypass but not after just band removal.

Yes. After the bypass but not after just band removal.

Thanks Marcus. Not getting much sleep atm, coughing not waking me up just preventing me from getting to sleep. I need something to look forward to and had this horrible though I'd come out of op the same. :eek:
Counting the days and hoping I also do not need a two stage resolution.
X

Just read skinimum's post and the link to GERD...that's it I'm booking the revision to MGB...

Revisioners Experience of MGB

Hi everyone

I can see there are a few people on here who have or are about to revise from band to by pass. Can any of you who went for the MGB give me the benefit of your experience and how the MGB compares to the band particularly with regard to acid reflux.

I can see that most people comment it is much better but most of those seem to come from people who have had RNY rather than MGB.

thanks

Nick

Hi everyone

I can see there are a few people on here who have or are about to revise from band to by pass. Can any of you who went for the MGB give me the benefit of your experience and how the MGB compares to the band particularly with regard to acid reflux.

I can see that most people comment it is much better but most of those seem to come from people who have had RNY rather than MGB.

thanks

Nick

There's quite a lot of comparisons between MGB and RNY on this thread (pages 6-7):

http://www.wlsurgery.com/general-surgical-weight-loss-discussion/159115-belgium-surgery.html

Essentially the main difference is that MGB doesn't stop stomach acid while an RNY does. It can also worsen GERD, which an RNY cures it. Essentially if you ever get acid reflux or have a chronic cough you should go for RNY, otherwise you should compare the benefits and find which is best for you.

There's quite a lot of comparisons between MGB and RNY on this thread (pages 6-7): http://www.wlsurgery.com/general-surgical-weight-loss-discussion/159115-belgium-surgery.html Essentially the main difference is that MGB doesn't stop stomach acid while an RNY does. It can also worsen GERD, which an RNY cures it. Essentially if you ever get acid reflux or have a chronic cough you should go for RNY, otherwise you should compare the benefits and find which is best for you.

Hi Marcus

Can you point to any research that backs that up? I am exactly in that position and my surgeon still advises the MGB , he does both ops so its no skin off his nose which op He performs. I have been looking for actual research on this and whilst I come across concern it may cause reflux there is actually no research to back this up that I can find. See this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22411569 And this http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=opinionblog/111348/mgb-cancer-link-evidence-very-weak

Last edited:
Hi Marcus

Can you point to any research that backs that up? I am exactly in that position and my surgeon still advises the MGB , he does both ops so its no skin off his nose which op He performs. I have been looking for actual research on this and whilst I come across concern it may cause reflux there is actually no research to back this up that I can find. See this One thousand consecutive mini-gastric bypass: short- and long-term outcome. - PubMed - NCBI And this MGB cancer link: the evidence is very weak | Bariatric News

15 years of the mini-gastric bypass | Bariatric News

Over 90% said that banding presented a risk of post operative acid reflux, 60% said the sleeve presented a risk of post op acid reflux, but only 5% said RNY bypass presented a risk of reflux, while 10% said MGB presented a risk of reflux. This is important because extensive data show that acid reflux can lead to oesophageal cancer.​

Essentially as the MGB combines the sleeve with Roux limb it doesn't prevent acid reflux in the same way that an RNY would, therefore for those with reflux/silent reflux going for an RNY is prudent. Going for a band is the highest risk while a sleeve isn't far behind. MGB does still seem a reasonable option with less severe reflux but it's still showing a 10% risk compared to 5% (I can't work out how 5% is possible as the 'plumbing' just doesn't work that way!).

15 years of the mini-gastric bypass | Bariatric News

Over 90% said that banding presented a risk of post operative acid reflux, 60% said the sleeve presented a risk of post op acid reflux, but only 5% said RNY bypass presented a risk of reflux, while 10% said MGB presented a risk of reflux. This is important because extensive data show that acid reflux can lead to oesophageal cancer.​

Essentially as the MGB combines the sleeve with Roux limb it doesn't prevent acid reflux in the same way that an RNY would, therefore for those with reflux/silent reflux going for an RNY is prudent. Going for a band is the highest risk while a sleeve isn't far behind. MGB does still seem a reasonable option with less severe reflux but it's still showing a 10% risk compared to 5% (I can't work out how 5% is possible as the 'plumbing' just doesn't work that way!).

I do get what you aRe saying Marcus, I have driven myself and my surgeon mad over this lol. I emailed him again last week after I posted that as I started to doubt myself, same reply came from Dubai, he says that for me the MGB will be as effective as RNY. This may not be the case for another patient, we all present a unique set of circumstances and history. I don't have any erosion or band slippage apparently.
He said the band itself IS the cause of my reflux. Yes a band that is in place and should be working normally has caused it. Remember I had 6 years without any reflux.. wls really is a mysterious game. I've said it before, we are all guinea pigs and at the end of the day we have to go with our surgeons advice. I do trust Dr Chris, he is an excellent surgeon.

Anyhoo, I am happy to report that after getting back on my Omeprazole after having to stop it for my gastroscopy and Bravo PH test, and sticking to a few dietary changes my reflux is much much better. I do not spent all day, every day coughing though I still get out of breath easily. My band has been totally emptied for a few weeks now, I can eat healthy food like salad and fruit :) I just do not have a working wls tool.
My suspicions are that it was also made much much worse due to the H Pylori I tested positive for, hopefully now eradicated.
Op is a week on Wednesday, wish me luck :)

Ps re the rny and reflux, I have come across people who still report reflux after rny bypass though much reduced and most report it gone. Same for MGB.

Back