• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I right to ask for this at my doctors? CAN SOMEONE HELP x

I don't have them. My consultant doesn't prescribe them unless it's very low and I haven't met anyone from my hospital who has had one yet . I've been wondering about B12 as I'm everso tired !

Miss Tickle said:
I don't have them. My consultant doesn't prescribe them unless it's very low and I haven't met anyone from my hospital who has had one yet . I've been wondering about B12 as I'm everso tired !

I've never felt tiredness like this,this is just the worse I've ever felt x

I had VitB12 4 weeks after surgery then have it every 3 months. I feel tired, short of breath and run down a couple of weeks before I need injection.

Yeah I'm tha same think i'v had 4 now people think they burn but i don'y think they are too bad have had worse and i 'm not keen on needles. But i feel tired when I am ready for the next one I was told i would need them for life. xx:8855:

Hi

Well I'm ringing the doctors at 8.00 I'm hoping I can get in!
Even though I'm tired last night I was waking all throughout the night due to my muscles hurting.
I just couldn't get comfy,today I feel like I'm close to regretting this op,but not totally!...lol
I'll get this sorted...hopefully

I was told that I would have to have a b12 injection every three months after the op.

Lots of surgeons are now recommending this.

I would ask for an appointment to discuss your most recent blood tests to see what additional supplements you need. If it's more than six months since your last tests then you need a new review now

Karlos said:
Lots of surgeons are now recommending this.

I would ask for an appointment to discuss your most recent blood tests to see what additional supplements you need. If it's more than six months since your last tests then you need a new review now

Hi Karlos,
I got a call at home from my doctor telling me I was anaemic,and they just would continue to monitor me.
I'm just wondering knowing this should I've been offered this b12.

Seems they should have told you what it is you are low in and done something about it. Really hope this gets sorted for you soon :) xxx

emma-louise said:
Hi Karlos,
I got a call at home from my doctor telling me I was anaemic,and they just would continue to monitor me.
I'm just wondering knowing this should I've been offered this b12.

You might need iron tablets if your anaemic, b12 is a vitamin so it would be a totally different tick box on bloods which they might have not checked. Being anaemic doesn't influence b12, hope you get sorted and good luck x

suzie290304 said:
You might need iron tablets if your anaemic, b12 is a vitamin so it would be a totally different tick box on bloods which they might have not checked. Being anaemic doesn't influence b12, hope you get sorted and good luck x

Thanks,
I've been taking 3 iron a day for a while now,
Heavy monthys are not helping,and I'm not sure if they have ticked b12 box when testing bloods.
I'm going to ask lots of questions,and going with my discharge notes x

Had my first B-12 in hospital straight day after op, then second last week, three months after op just requested it as it was in my notes from hospital, Luton, no problems at all, but my GP is 100% in favour of this op, he can see the improvements in my health, weight and

chris2710 said:
Had my first B-12 in hospital straight day after op, then second last week, three months after op just requested it as it was in my notes from hospital, Luton, no problems at all, but my GP is 100% in favour of this op, he can see the improvements in my health, weight etc

I'm not sure what is advised regarding this shot,I had my operation under dr ammori,anyone else Under the care of this doctor and knows the answer?
I am under Mr Amorri. I had a B12 injection at my 3 month check atvthe hospital. Then I've just had my 6 month B 12 injection at my GP's. The hospital have to write to the GP to request them. You then get a prescription for 5 vials of b12 and you take one to your GP every 3 months.

did you haveyourop at Salfrd Royal or The Spire?

I also take daily iron tablets plus multi vits, calcium, etc. the hospital should have given your GP a list of Meds you need.

Paula Lewis said:
It does it's called pernicious anaemia and if not treated can be life threatening.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001595/

Hope it goes well at the docs for you xx

Cheers for that didn't even realise their was different types of anaemia lol, its strange as my iron levels were low before my op too due to constant bleeding, I was never told about this just seen it in my file the doctor had. You would think the doctors would know the risk factor with anaemia and b12 and check people early. I had a fight on my hand just for them to say yes to checking me, if not they were saying a year post op which is far too long and not even by them it had to be by my bariatric team. I do think the docs need updating about what blood test we need as one of the reasons I was refused is the nurse didn't know if I needed this certain type of vitamin checked which is an expensive test and she knows private patients get it checked but didn't know if NHS would pay for that test (probably not lol). X

You have a right to request bloods if you've done your research and may know what's wrong. Old school doctors don't like expert patients who know alot about their condition. It threatens their superiority.

All GP's should have the best interests of their patient as a priority. Sadly most of them are bogged down with budgets and hitting targets.

Thanks everyone,
I've been to the docs and he gave me a b12 shot there and then.
He checked me while I was there and told me I also looking like ive got a virus as temp was up and glands.
He's brought forward retesting my bloods too for iron x
I'm wondering how long you feel the benefit if the b12 injection?

Back